Rhinestones - Cake Board ?

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 6:32am by varika

SugaredUp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi there! Thanks to some fellow CC'ers I found some really cool edible diamonds at fancyflours.com for a bride wanting sparkly rhinestones. I was thinking of putting her cake on a mirror and putting some "diamonds" on the mirror. Her bottom tier is 12", though, and I can only find up to 14" online. Has anyone found bigger than 12" mirrors? Also, does a square cake have to go on a square board, or could it go on a round board? Would that look ok? I want at least an 18" board so I can scatter the diamonds on it.

4 replies
mixinvixen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

a glass shop could cut you one...not sure how expensive it would be, never hurts to call and ask.

i don't think there are any hard rules about sizing of cake boards. you're the creator of the cake, so go with your gut. i usually make a "Mock up" of the cake out of dummies, construction paper and /or pans and whatever else i can find in the house that resembles the size or look i'm going for...it really helps me get a visual before i even go into the kitchen to start and bake.

just for the record, i've made several rounds that have square boards, and vice versa. it's all in how it's done, really.

SugaredUp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 5

Okay, I think it will look ok to have the square on a round board. I did find an 18" round, so maybe I'll do that.

aztomcat Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:13am
post #4 of 5

Don't forget to look at regular framed wall mirrors. Lay it flat and see how it looks. I've seen some nice cakes on this type of wall mirror. It's just a difft point of view.

varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:32am
post #5 of 5

If you weren't going to do anything but set the cake on it, you might not want to do a square cake on a round board, but since you want to scatter the faux diamonds around, I think you should nave no trouble at all. Just remember to put them on there in relation to the cake, not just totally randomly. (Visual balance and all those other issues, etc.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%