What Is Your Have To Have...total Waste Of Cash

Decorating By chelseafitz Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm by aswartzw

chelseafitz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 37

Hi all... Newbie here, I have been lurking for a few and decided to join in and say hi. I am completely obsessed with cake making and decorating right now. It is a hobby for me, but I am determined to be really good I have visions of Tiers in my head. I have already ordered the DVD's from sugarshack and am eagerly awaiting them So my question is...What item have you purchased that you could not live without, and what have you bought that has been a total waste of money??

Looking forward to meeting you all!

36 replies
JodieF Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #2 of 37

well, hey there newbie....welcome to CC! You're gonna be addicted, just like the rest of us. icon_biggrin.gif
Let's see.....I couldn't live without my Kitcheaide mixer. I have the 6 quart and love it. I have an extra bowl, whip and beater.
As to what was a waste...I bought the Wilton ribbon cutter thing. You can put on different disks and separators. I never have gotten it to work right!

Jodie

valbos22 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 37

I am still pretty new myself but I highly recommend the parchment triangles, loving them! Flat icing spatula, cake icer and the cake turntable-- awesome. Also something to keep all of your stuff in, nothing is more frustrating than needing something you KNOW you have SOMEWHERE! icon_cry.gif

I have used pretty much everything I bought but I will say to definately shop around on your major items. The prices can vary greatly! There are usually 40% off coupons out there. Welcome to the fold.

Smiles,

val

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 37

Wow...my answers sound just like JodieF's...Kitchen Aid mixer (I named her Sally icon_biggrin.gif ) is the best.

I bought the wilton ribbon cutter too and it's not worth the frustration. Although I am planning to make a bunch of bows soon, maybe I'll give it another try.

One of my other favorite things is my Sil-pin rolling pin. If you're going to be working with fondant a lot, it's a great thing to have. It's also good for tortillas, pie crust, sugar cookies, etc...not to mention, the one I got is bubble-gum pink...I smile every time I see it.

tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 37

The Kitchen Aid mixer is definitely the mother of all investments. Pricey, but worth every cent.

I'm trying hard to think of something I deem as a waste of money, but I can't think of a thing. Hmmm...

chelseafitz Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 37

Thanks all, I have most of the basics, Kitchen aid mixer, although I do need another bowl. Have a few gumpaste cutters and rolling pins. I have only used the plastic piping bags, will have to try the parchment ones. Tried the foam core, loved it. Bought the wilton tool kit, the white ones with the colored ends...worth every penney! Did I mention I am a little obsessed? icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady15 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 37

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer too. I got the 5 qt. pink oneicon_smile.gif I have also found my case for my icing tips to be extremely helpful. The only thing I can think of that I wasted my money on was cake carriers. I bought a bunch when I was first starting out and only making cakes for family. I quickly found out that I hate washing those big bulky things and I usually end up having to make a trip back to someone's house to get them a week after I took a cake there. It is so much easier to just get boxes from the cake store and let the cake recipient deal with disposing of them icon_biggrin.gif

PiccoloChellie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #8 of 37

Like others, my Kitchenaid (named Julia, as in Child icon_biggrin.gif ) is indispensable. I also love my Wilton "toolbox" - keeps everything together and it's easy to tote your gear with you. You can also buy them empty if you have a good collection of gear; my husband just got me a second one because my other was bursting at the seams!

What else...I love my taping knife and bench scraper for smoothing icing. I love my giant icing tip. I love parchment paper. I love Viva paper towels. I can't live without CakeCentral. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still pretty basic in my decorating so I don't have any real specialized equipment at this point, and there's nothing I have that I consider a waste of money. I tend to buy things as I need them so nothing's gone to waste - yet!

CakeRN Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #9 of 37

Well of course my Kitchen Aid Pro 6 mixer too but also my ICES membership! It has been such a great thing for me because I have met so many neat people and continue to do so through the meetings and the conventions.

Total waste??? well....lets see...My Wilton pans...especially since I started using the MagicLine pans. But then again I sold some of the Wilton pans so not a total waste.

minorfan Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 37

My Must have :

1.Kitchenaid mixer -
2 Upright freezer with the cake only sign on it!
3 drying rack - it is an old blue print cabinet - can find and dry everything with out it being all over the house
4. My table with basket drawers to make and store some stuff (there is never enough storage)
5. Assorted metal cutters (bought some that are sculpty and very small cutters great for small figures etc)
6. My two fondant rollers big and small
7. 5 yards of clear vinyl from walmart - cut into one yard pieces - doesnt roll up , can throw in the washer, protects everything and great to roll out fondant and only cost $10 for 5 yards.
8. Duster pen so I can put on luster dust and glitter on the cakes with our clumping it everywhere.
9. ziploc bags and plastic wrap for all the fondant I do.
10 Debbie Brown's cake books - LOVE THEM

USELESS.

1. fondant ribbon thing - wilton
2. wilton dusting pouch - I use new knee highs
3. Wilton press alphabet
4. wilton tip turntable - if I want to drop the cake I can do it on my own
5. Bake even strips
6. Wilton Castle kit - what a pain and looks tacky

I do mostly fondant cakes and love to find new books for fondant cakes also easier for me to find cookie cutters for shapes. Organization is the key other wise you are running around trying to find everything.

Molly2 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #11 of 37

The Best thing would be my Stanley tool chest on wheels because once you get in to decorating you will be buying and find all kinds of goodies and you need someplace to put everything so you can find it easily. The worst thing would be the tilted cake decorating turn table from Wilton's

Molly

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #12 of 37

I totally agree with those who said they couldn't live without their KitchenAid. I bought mine two years ago for Christmas and - WOW! - my baking life has become so much easier!!

Biggest waste of cash is all of my Wilton class kits. I didn't like most of the class projects and the tools are just sitting in the pantry in the original boxes. I find the tools to be outdated and old fashioned. They'll probably end up in the next garage sale.

Monna7122 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #13 of 37

Chelseafitz... Thanks for the post. As a newbie to the site and one starting to push her limits from the "general flat sheet cake", This is much needed information. I have done about a handful of wedding cakes, but all very simple. I have a list on my puter of things that I come with all the time of stuff that is needed and as all have said, a kitchen aid mixer is a must. It is over an hour away for me to do Wilton Classes so I too am purchasing the SugarShack videos. (Can't wait for payday, lol) I can add a few little things though...

Every size of cake pan in round and square. You can usually carve something out of those if you are wanting a 3D thing. And the small teddy bear pan from Wilton. You can just about make that bear anything you want. If you have the storage and will use it often, look in the craft section of Walmart, and get a thread spool holder. It is a wooden rack with little sticks sticking up. Holds your tips like a charm. thumbs_up.gif

Wasted $$??? The Wilton round pans that have the spring form sides. (where the sides unlock and they pop off so it dont stick.) Not really worth it to me.

Welcome to the site icon_biggrin.gif

buffim Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #14 of 37

The thing that I don't like that I've purchased is the large Wilton cutting blade. It's so flimsy that when I tried to use it, my friend would have to help me to stablize (I would hold the blade and she would push the cake through!). I think some people have found ways to make it work, but I haven't...I gave mine away in a recent move!

The thing that I like, I had a teacher recomend getting a thick plastic table cloth (not sure of the exact name, but it's a clear plastic that comes in several different weights, and the medium one is the perfect one). This is great to roll out fondant and gumpaste on. It also sticks great to the table and doesn't move (you wash the table with warm water and leave it a bit wet then it sticks to the table..)

If you do a search I think there is also another conversation about the same thing...lots of ideas there too! I think it was several pages long.

mixinvixen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #15 of 37

i love my plastic "tool box" with little individual slide out drawers...it's originally made to hold various sized screws and nails in the garage, but it works perfectly for all the flowers, scrolls, bows, roses, etc that i make up ahead of time. i have two of them, and they are pretty priceless. each item has it's own drawer. when i have left over fondant or gumpaste, i just make up some quick flowers, dry them and dust them with luster, then pop them into their respective drawers. next time i need a fancy cake in a pinch, i check out what i have in my boxes already dried, and just go from there!

liapsim Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #16 of 37

My favorite is my KitchenAide mixer (Martin is his name). I also love my cake leveler and my turntable (not the tip one) and Viva paper towels.

Big waste for me the large core (rose nails work great and aren't messy) and the bake even strips (which don't bake even!).

If you do cookies....ebay has really good deals on unique ones and you can only pay one shipping fee!

Good luck!!!!!

SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #17 of 37

First of all...your cakes are gorgeous!!! thumbs_up.gif

secondly, I love my cake icer tip!! It's the best...

And I'm fairly new so I haven't bought anything that was a waste of money yet..lol

Narie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #18 of 37

Must have a good mixer- mine is an old Kitchen Aid.
GOOD quality pans- Magic Line is good. If you are starting, buy basic pans squares, rounds rectangles in the sizes you will use now. Americacolor gels, good quality flavorings and PARCHMENT PAPER. Must have parchment paper!!! A good serrated knife for leveling, a small off set spatula for moving flowers, and a kitchen timer you can shove in your pocket and take with you if you leave the kitchen.

Things to avoid; most of the wilton stuff- like pans and that rotary ribbon cutter thingy. Character pans, 3-d pans- odd stuff that you will only use once or twice. If you need a character, do a frozen buttercream transfer on a regular cake.

Oh, yes. Did I mention parchment paper? Get parchment paper.

SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #19 of 37

First of all...your cakes are gorgeous!!! thumbs_up.gif

secondly, I love my cake icer tip!! It's the best...

And I'm fairly new so I haven't bought anything that was a waste of money yet..lol

Onome Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #20 of 37

Hey People,
I know some might think it odd, but the best thing that I have is some cheap hand mixer I got from Walmart years ago. I am so used to it that I cannot imagine getting any other type of mixer. I actually have to change it someday but I am holding on.

The worst thing that I have is the wilton ribbon cutter. One of my friend's sisters made me buy it. It is so useless. I still have it and I'm actually hoping that it works someday.

elainec Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:38am
post #21 of 37

The best thing that I have is my newest kitchenaid(artisan) with extra bowl, whip and paddle. I love the disposable Wilson bags(worth every penny to me). Waste of money: the large Wilton blade, give me a good bread knife any day of the week (serrated). Character pans, most of them have copyrights, so you cannot use them except for your family.
New useful discovery is the vinyl sheets for rolling out fondant and foam gardening pads for gumpaste. Oh, and Satin Ice, best fondant in the world to use when you are pressed for time. Oh, and yes, can't leave out
my new Fat Daddio 3" tiered cake pans.

chelseafitz Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #22 of 37

Oh my gosh, you guys have the best ideas.. I am so stealing my husbands tackle box, he just bought it and hasn't used it yet. It has drawers that open, that will work so much better than my huge plastic bucket.
I so need to name my kitchen aid mixer.
Thanks for the tip on cake boxes, I was thinking about buying a plastic one, disposable one would be so much better!
I too find the wilton stuff outdated and sometimes hard to use...Love the turntable comment!!! "4. wilton tip turntable - if I want to drop the cake I can do it on my own" I just about fell off my chair laughing, I can totally picture that. Definitely will get one that is stable.
I will have to try out the giant icing tip, and check out those magic line pans I only have some round ones, I think some square ones will be my next purchase.
Oooh, and maybe an addition to my house so I can have my own cake room...oops I might have gone too far, I had better not get too carried away, there is still next payday! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna7122

Wasted $$??? The Wilton round pans that have the spring form sides. (where the sides unlock and they pop off so it dont stick.) Not really worth it to me.

Those are for cheesecakes, I think.

pjmw Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #24 of 37

Purchased item would have to be my KitchenAid 6 qt that Santa brought me....what I couldn't live without is my proportion engineer=my husband. He's a graphic designer who gives me honest feedback and is more willing to take chances on a design than I am.

Wasted product=wilton's cake leveler.

Welcome to CC!

Monna7122 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #25 of 37

Monna7122 wrote:

icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif DOH! The pic on the label just showed a regular cake! I swear Ms. Clairol needs to change her formula cuz my blondes sure are showing these days icon_wink.gif

Monna7122 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #26 of 37

Monna7122 wrote:

icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif DOH! The pic on the label just showed a regular cake! I swear Ms. Clairol needs to change her formula cuz my blondes roots sure are showing these days icon_wink.gif

Arriva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #27 of 37

I use MOST of what I've purchased. What I haven't used yet is hidden away. icon_wink.gif I didn't like the heating core. Used it once, and now I just use a flower nail -- I do love that.

Monna7122 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #28 of 37

See what I mean, Not sure how that posted twice like that and that the post wasnt seperated out. O well icon_rolleyes.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna7122

Monna7122 wrote:

icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif DOH! The pic on the label just showed a regular cake! I swear Ms. Clairol needs to change her formula cuz my blondes roots sure are showing these days icon_wink.gif

LOL...I bought all of mine at the Goodwill store so I've never seen the label on them. I know I did try making a regular cake in one once (my 10" pan had a disaster and I was desperate) and it leaked out everywhere. But when you make a cheesecake, the crust covers over the seam in the pan and it doesn't leak.

Mmmm....cheesecake....all I've been making lately are regular cakes. Maybe I'll have to make a cheesecake for my birthday.

maisyone2 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #30 of 37

I love my KitchenAid mixers. I have the 4.5 qt, Pro 6 and the 3 speed hand mixer. I have an extra bowl for the 4.5 qt, I want to get a second bowl for the 6qt. But my newest favorite toy.....a digital kitchen scale. I had always heard that it was a must have, but until I had one I never knew how much easier life could be.

I can't think of anything that truly was a waste of money. I've used everything I've bought at least a couple of times, which I figure makes it worth the purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%