Grrr! I Made A Mistake With Baking Powder

Decorating By bettystar Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm by bettystar

bettystar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettystar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 6

my recipe asked for 2tsp of B.Soda, and i sifted in b.p instead, i didn't realize it until i sifted in the flour and sugar. Is there anyway to fix this (i'm making a devils food cake) should i just add in b.s? i would hate to have to throw it away but any suggestions would help, if not off to the trash ;(

5 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 6

I dunno, but I bet Jan H. could tell you. She's really good at this stuff.

(personally, I'd just toss it.)

bettystar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #3 of 6

Jan H? Sorry i don't know that person, i'm still pretty new on here, is there a way to contact her?

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 6

I hope it's not to late to help...but I think you'll be OK using BP instead of BS. Baking powder is just baking soda with an acidic ingredient (cream of tartar) added. You use baking soda in acidic recipes, and baking power when there's less acid in the recipe. Your recipe called for baking soda because cocoa powder is acidic.

If you don't have a lot of other acidic ingredients in the recipe (like buttermilk) I think you'll be ok with the baking powder. You might just want to add another 1/2 tsp of BS to get a full rise, since the 2t of BP won't have quite as much baking soda as the original recipe asked for.

HTH...if you try it let us know if it turned out ok...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 6

Is it a double-acting BP? If so, you might get more rise from the batter, bigger holes in the crumb.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bettystar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 6

i actually do have to use buttermilk, but i just use milk and lemon juice. it's not too late cause i was scaling out the ingredients yesterday. and it is the double acting b.p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%