Sugar "windows"

Sugar Work By jrkrayenhagen Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:09am by cdavis

jrkrayenhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrkrayenhagen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 7

I am thinking of adding another element to a grooms cake i am making next week. It is a CAT bulldozer and I was debating making the windows out of sugar so you can look in and see the groom driving.

I have not yet worked with sugar and wanted to play around a little this week to see if it is even possible.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get a clear sugar poured - recipe and technique ideas? Thanks in advance everyone!

6 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 9:09am
post #2 of 7

I am interested in this too. I want to make windows for my castle cake, but have never worked with sugar before. Any information would be appreciated.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 7

Perhaps the pineapple lifesavers? It will have a bit of color. I make windows for my gingerbread houses by crushing butterscotch candy(makes the windows look like they have a warm glow, like candlelight!) and melting it on wax paper in a low oven.

nicegurl222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicegurl222 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 7

so how would you do it with pinapple life savers, would you melt those in the oven to. i would like to try it.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

I want to keep watch on this also. I am looking for info on how Bronwen Weber did her sugar windows on Food Network Gingerbread Mansion. I kind of wanted to do something a little more special than just melted lifesavers. Thanks

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

I would use Isomalt. I do this all the time. I am pretty sure Bronwen used Isomalt for that particular Challenge. Isomalt remains very clear for quite some time. It is also best in high humidity situations. Here is a link to my gingerbread house I did with this technique.

http://www.cakesbymaryann.com/Gingerbread2G.jpg

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 7

I made a "glass top" for a desk cake using poured sugar. Just find something a suitable shape to be your mold, mix a standard batch of hard candy and pour. I think this is a wonderful idea. I think that regular poured sugar would be clear enough. The glass on this cake was tinted blue/green.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275711

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%