Cake Price At Bakery..i'm Blown Away!

Decorating By cindww Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 2:36am by FromScratch

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 17

Just went to a local bakery in Northern NJ to pick something up and saw that they are now doing Fairtytopia Barbie cakes. They were cute, I'll give them that, but when I asked the price, I almost fell on the floor. They are charging $125! Sugarcraft's website features the fairytopia kit used to make the cake(the one in the bakery looked alot like the one at this website) and the kit is $19.50.
I told the woman I'd have to get a second mortgage to pay for the cake.icon_wink.gif

They also had smaller versions with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Belle. Larger than a standard cupcake but definitely woudn't feed more than 4..those were a bargain at $17.95.
Anyway, just wanted to share! I've tasted the offerings from this bakery and they just aren't that good and they do not make their own icing, either.

cindy

16 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 17

Good for them! icon_smile.gif As I saw leahs post in another thread about Charm City Cakes..."a rising tide floats all boats".

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 17

Crazy! icon_surprised.gif

Maybe they're starting to realize that people are looking more for creative "outside the box" cakes...but $125 is WAY too much for a birthday cake from a grocery store! Sheesh!

Hopefully customers will realize that they aren't that good and go to some locally owned bakeries instead. I would much rather pay the $125 to a local independent cake decorator than a grocery baker... JMHO icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 17

Was it a grocery store?? I didn't see that it was. Really, $125 isn't all that bad.. if it's a wondermold pan that's 20 servings.. so that's $6.25/serving. Not horrid at all.. and right around what I would charge too.. though mine would taste better from the sounds of it.. icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 17

Was this from your grocery store?

What size cake was it? Was it a single layer or double layer? Did it have a filling? I saw a fairtytopia kit at party works dot com that was only $11.00. The cake they show looks like a 9x13 cake. My double layer 9x13 cake with filling and bc icing with decorations would be $130.00, plus the cost of the kit for a total price of $141.00. Doesn't seem to be out of line at all.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 17

Man, maybe Im not charging enough! No wonder I get 99% of my bookings!

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 17

Okay.. I see this is a sheetcake kit? Still I wouldn't charge any different per serving for the sheet compared to a regular cake. How big was the cake?

cindww Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 17

Just to clarify...this was a bakery in North Jersey..It is a cake that looks like it was made with a wondermold pan. You can buy the kit at sugarcraftdot com and it sells for $14.00. It comes with a full doll, not just a doll pick and also a tulle tutu for the birthday girl to wear.

I've had stuff from this bakery and its just not that good. i could only venture a guess as to how many this would serve as I've never done one of these cakes. The cake was adorable, that's why I asked about the price..just didn't expect to hear $125.
Think I'll be raising my prices!!! icon_smile.gif

Cindy

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 17

jkalman-I love your signature, my boys watch Chowder everyday and it cracks me up!

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 17

Wow! We make that cake at the bakery I work at using 4 thick 8" round layers....we charge $40! It serves about 20. I know that prices differ based on area and such-but that still sounds like a lot of $ for a pretty easy and not all that big cake! JMHO

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 17

Cindy - the boards keep blocking out the website that you keep typing....try typing it like this so we can see what you are referring to.

a b c at x y z dot com

Thanks!

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 17

Well, if the wonder mold serves 20 ppl and the kit costs $14, I would charge $50 for the cake, plus the $14 (and any shipping charges associated with it) for a total of $64. If it had fondant on it, then that would cost extra, but not double.

$125 does sound a bit much now that more information was revealed.

BTW, how would you cut a cake in this shape to get 20 servings?

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 17

Wow...I'm way too cheap...I need to raise my prices also!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 17

I say GOOD FOR THEM!! It's a step forward for ALL of us when the traditional bakeries start pricing specialty cakes with a speciality price!!! Consider it another club member educating the public on the true value of a cake!!!

20 servings x my $3/serving = $60 + $15 (+/-) for the kit = $75 .... and I'm going to upcharge that kit because it cost me time (payroll/labor) for someone to order it and/or go pick it up, so I'm thinking around $100 .... so $125 is not that out of line.

cindww Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #15 of 17

I didn't realize that the dot com info was blocked! Duh!!! I saw it online at sug ar craft dot (you know what!) is that helpful??

Indydeb...I agree..good for them, if people want it, they'll pay it, but I guess my own shock was that I have had their cakes and they just aren't that good. They taste processed. Truthfully, I'd rather eat a Costco cake than one bought from this bakery. icon_smile.gif And I'm sure your cakes are miles beyond anything one could find in a bakery..

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #16 of 17

You have to cut the wondermold in 1/2 and flip it on its side to cut the thing.. I hate the wondermold pan.. I stack four 8" rounds with a cake board and dowels like a two tiered cake and carve it and charge for more than just 20 servings. You get filling in there and it's easier to cut the thing and it's taller that way too. I don't get many requests for doll cakes though. If you get the full Fairytopia barbie that's not as bad as it sounds.. they are $15-20 for just the doll.

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #17 of 17

oh and it's not the dot com that's blocked.. it's the company name.. s craft and CC don't mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%