What Tastes Better With Cookies Ri Or Fondant?

Baking By aminaz Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:04am by kaytec

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #31 of 45

The RBC (rolled buttercream) on NFSC is very good, I think. The cookie is chewy (the way I like them). I usually flavor with butter flavoring, vanilla, and almond flavoring. Tastes good!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #32 of 45

I keep hearing everyone say how "greasy" their RBC is. I'd like to try it, but that just grosses me out. What do you do about that?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acdogs

If you make the RBC do you have to you lemon and orange oil? Can you use vanilla in its place? I do not have any of the flavored oils.

Vanilla would work great, clear or real.

Michele

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

I keep hearing everyone say how "greasy" their RBC is. I'd like to try it, but that just grosses me out. What do you do about that?

If you put the rbc on right after the cookies come out of the oven, the grease then shows... but it disappears in a few hours or overnight. If you want to decorate right away, you can "blot" the cookies with a paper towel or the like...

toleshed Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #35 of 45

So RBC is sort of like fondant? You can put it on the next day if you want to? Thats more the way I do it. and then what do you do about the grease?

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #36 of 45

When I made RBC, I wrapped it and let it sit over night in plastic wrap, and it was SO greasy, but when I covered a cake with it, the grease wasn't as bad once it dried a little. I didn't like to use it for cakes, but it would probably be ok for cookies! Good Luck!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:36pm
post #37 of 45

Another option you may want to consider is modeling chocolate. I stopped using straight fondant and will mix about 3/4 modeling chocolate and 1/4 fondant (tip I got on CC). IMO makes for a much better texture and taste than fondant and still easy to cutout and apply to cookies. Haven't had anyone remove the icing since I started doing it.

You can still do ribbons, flowers, cutouts, etc... using this. Here is an example of a cookie I made with this mixture (as you can see it will still take an impression very nicely):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240471

toleshed Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #38 of 45

oh thats really nice. Is the modeling choc. recipe on CC?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

oh thats really nice. Is the modeling choc. recipe on CC?

Yes - here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1985-0-Candy-Clay-for-Modeling--3D-Figures.html

toleshed Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #40 of 45

Thanks so much snowshoe1. I'm eager to give that a try

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #41 of 45

I like to use icing which is called, "cookie icing". It is a little like royal icing but it has some shortening in it, so it never gets really hard. It is solid enough so you can stack your cookies but still soft enough you can easily bite through it to eat the cookie. I like being able to use a decorating bag for doing the decorations. I like the detail you can get that way. I only have one picture of cookies in my album...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=998653

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #42 of 45

For me nothing tastes as good as RBC on a sugar cookie. I add butter and vanilla flavoring to it and they taste awesome! If the RBC seems "greasy" when you place it on the cookie, you can just lightly dust your finger with powdered sugar and run it over the top. If you let these cookies sit out on a drying rack after you place the RBC on them, the RBC will "crust" or dry to where they are not greasy at all!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #43 of 45

When I tried the RBC, it was very greasy but also grainy. It didn't have that smooth, porcelein finish that I get with MMF. I use the MMF on cookies since I am also far too lazy to flood and the kids don't like the really hard icing.

I am finding that the key to a good MMF cookie is to roll the fondant very thin. I have made them in the past and didn't take the time to roll the fondant out thin enough and my family complained they were too chewy and they didn't like the texture.

If I am feeling particularly energetic, lol, I use colored chocolates & candy melts as the accents instead of RI. It tastes so much better but it is a pain to keep it at the right consistency so I don't do it often.

I think the best looking decorated sugar cookies are made with either MMF or RI. I think the best tasting is with BC, however, those don't crust, harden up or smooth out enough to look good. *sigh*

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #44 of 45

Thanks, aminaz for asking this question. I want to try the nfsc this week and was thinking the same thing.

Thank you snowshoe for telling about the modelling chocolate. That sounds like the one to try.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #45 of 45

I have a couple of questions...

snowshoe1 - 3/4 modeling choc and 1/4 fondant- did you mix this after they have been made? I'm not sure I understand this.

Are lemon/orange oil the same as extract?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%