What Tastes Better With Cookies Ri Or Fondant?

Baking By aminaz Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:04am by kaytec

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 45

i've recently started to make sugar cookies and have only iced them in royal icing. but i was to experiment and use fondant as it has a more matt finish. however will it taste nice?

44 replies
toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:41am
post #2 of 45

If you use Rhondas Ultimate fondant from this website, it will taste delicious.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #3 of 45

I myself don't like the hardness of RI and I don't think it has much taste, actually has a strange chalkiness to it. I prefer Satin Ice Fondant and use RI for details. I love the taste of SI, but it's definitely a personal choice what you decorate with. Michele Foster's Fondant is delicious too if you want to make your own.

mharrisdtoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mharrisdtoys Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 45

I started out using Antoina's RI and it tastes good, but, after having tried Rhonda's MMF, I will never go back. It is so YUMMY. icon_biggrin.gif I use it as my base and then use the RI for accenting.

toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 45

Michelle - are you Michelle Foster?
Do you have to refrigerate her fondant since it has butter and milk in it? Thats one of the things I like about Rhondas. Just store it away and no refrigeration

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 45

I am deathly afraid of making my own fondant or MMF...lol. I know, but the thought of that freaks me out! I dont use SI enough to justify ordering it. I do like RBC, but I dont like how shiny it always looks. Sometimes I want a matte feel to the design. Still trying to figure out how to "dull" it down a bit.

maybe i'll have to just give the MMF a try and face that fear head on! hahahah

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 45

I love RB (rolled buttercream) on my cookies. It's like fondant but tastes more like BC. For me, it is more greasy initially but once it's on cookies, it tastes great and I flavor mine with twice the amount of flavoring it calls for. Then I decorate with Antonia's RI.

The only reason I don't flood is I don't have the patience! icon_cool.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 45

Aswartzw, I too decorate w/ RBC & detail w/ Antonia's. It is greasy initially, but I like to gently wipe it w/ a paper towel to degrease, right after applying--before it hardens.

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 45

Is there a way to dust it with pwd sugar or even lightly with cornstarch? I have never thought about wiping it down with paper towel, I think i'd be to worried about any fibers being left behind. I'll give it a try tho'...

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 45

I use bounty & they don't really have fibers. The bounty napkins are awesome too!

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 45

[singing jingle] "Bounty...the quicker picker upper...Bounty!"

icon_lol.gif

toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 45

thedessertdiva
oh give MMF a try. Its not hard, just messy. But so worth it. I just started in february of this year and I figure if I can do it, anyone can do it. lol

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 45

My following of customers who love MMF on cookies is growing and growing. That and Toba's Glace flavored with a touch of butter flavoring.

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 45

Where can I find the recipe for Rolled Butter cream? When I searched it in recipes I didn't get any hits.

The MMF is not that bad to make and I didn't think it was messy.

Thanks

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 45

Ok ladies...I'm going to take the big plunge.

I only need one thing...

The recipe.

Anyone want to share one? icon_rolleyes.gif

toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 45

Here ya go!

Rhondas ultimate MMF

15 oz. mini marshmallows

2 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or
heat proof
spoon. Pour
marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately
2 minutes
stopping and
stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon
juice, salt
and extracts.
Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at
a time.
After approximately
5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the
mixture in the
bowl. Add the sixth
cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well
and turn
mixture out of bowl
onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead
well.
If mixture seems soft,
add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside.

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 45

Thank you!

Now, I just have to find a big enough microwave bowl...lol. This cant be done in the KA can it?

toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 45

I never have but some do. My KA is new so I didn't want to hurt it.

Joanne0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne0710 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #19 of 45

I have only recently used Fondant on my cookies and I will never use anything else again. I am a Satin Ice Fondant Freak. I love the easy way it rolls and I have never had any problems with it. I bought the new cookie cutters with the embossing mats and used the SI fondant to decorate them. I used the wilton cookie icing under the fondant as adhesive (just a thin layer). The cookies were great and everyone loved the taste. The cookie recipe I used was also a recipe with the new cutters. It uses cream cheese and is delicious. I have posted the pictures of the cookies I practiced on this weekend, so please have a look. icon_smile.gif

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 45

I'm not a fan of lemon but has anyone ever tried that recipe with any other flavorings and/or extracts?

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:07pm
post #21 of 45

Here's the recipe for Rolled Buttercream (it's easier than MF because you can use the Kitchen Aide)

1 C Shortening
1 C Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp. Clear Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Lemon Oil
1/4 tsp. Orange Oil
8 1/2 C Powdered Sugar

Place Shortening into larger mixer bowl and cream on medium spped until smooth. While mixer is running, add Corn syrup, Vanilla, Salt, Lemon & Orange Oil and mix until well blended. Reduce to low speen and gradually add about 2/3 of the Powdered Sugard until a soft dough is formed. Turn mixture out onto surface dusted with powdered sugar. Knead in remaining 1/3 of the sugar. Continue kneading until buttercream is smooth. If it is sticky add more icing sugar, a little at a time. Chill for a few hours. Before use, bring riller buttercream to room temp.

Yield: 6 1/2 Cups - sufficient to cover two 10" round cakes 3" high

Storage: One week at room temp. One month refrigerated. Three months frozen.

toleshed Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #22 of 45

jennab
I have always wanted to try the RBC but everyone always mentions the greasiness and that turns me off. How bad is that?
Spunkybear - I never have lemon in the house so have never used it in my fondant. I "glue" my fondant on with dabs of karo syrup out of a squirt bottle.
Where does one get the SI?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

Michelle - are you Michelle Foster?
Do you have to refrigerate her fondant since it has butter and milk in it? Thats one of the things I like about Rhondas. Just store it away and no refrigeration

Nope, different Michelle/Michele. icon_smile.gif

It's kinda like buttercream, enough sugar to stabilize the milk, so I've been told, so no fridge needed.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:33am
post #24 of 45

Well I make MMF in my kitchen aid. I pop the bowl in the microwave (make sure it won't hit the sides or it will spark) or over a pot of simmering water. Just use your dough hook instead of the paddle attachment!

For RBC I use butter flavoring or almond, never used orange or lemon.

thedessertdiva Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Well I make MMF in my kitchen aid. I pop the bowl in the microwave (make sure it won't hit the sides or it will spark) or over a pot of simmering water. Just use your dough hook instead of the paddle attachment!

You put your metal KA bowl into the microwave?? icon_confused.gif Crazy...lol

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #26 of 45

I love making MMF fondant since I discovered all about it here on CC. I like it on cakes but only from the fridge!

I could not wait to try it on cookies and when I did I hated it and have not tried it since.

I use RI for cookies and if you don't like really hard RI you can remedy it or if you do like it rock hard you can achieve that also.

Come to think of it now I know why I only like MMF from the fridge, the texture is more like RI that way!

But there is not much you can do with MMF texture wise and you cannot tailor it's texture to peoples tastes or packaging needs!

I might just give it one more shot on cookies to be double sure but I like the RI it's what I am most familiar with and you can flavour it with all the usual kinds of flavourings even a drop or two of oils contrary to popular belief!

I don't think any are any less labour intensive than the other, they both have to be made or bought, applied and cleaned up afterwards so it's done to preference and what you think will work best for you and your clients!

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

You put your metal KA bowl into the microwave?? icon_confused.gif Crazy...lol

I sure do icon_eek.gif . Yeah, I'm crazy, but I tell you what, when you've got a sink full of dishes from the day & you're looking at a few more from making something like MMf you do what you can to minimize the work load. And I don't like cleaning up gooey melted marshmallows from an extra bowl. so..... into the microwave it goes. The one time I didn't spin the bowl around to make sure it was in the clear was the time the handle knicked the side & sent a spark. Now in my mom's old microwave you couldn't put anything metal in it. I put all kinds of metal bowls in mine & accidentally stirred something & left a spoon in there--finding it after the timer went off. Sometimes I wonder where my brain disappears to.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #28 of 45

My family, friends and myself prefer Rolled Buttercream with a touch of orange extract in the cookie dough and RBC

Acdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acdogs Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #29 of 45

If you make the RBC do you have to you lemon and orange oil? Can you use vanilla in its place? I do not have any of the flavored oils.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #30 of 45

I prefer royal icing to fondant on cookies. Fondant to me is way too sweet for a cookie. And I guess I just like the look better. JMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%