Need Your Suggestions: Making A Big Purchase

Decorating By aundrea Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm by TheCakeGirl87

aundrea Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 22

hello!
i will be taking the plunge and making 2 big purchases.
i want to get an ediable image printer, and a stand up mixer.
i have questions for those who have these:
where do i purchase the printer? online or stores? where do you purchase the ink?
and what about a stand up mixer, i hear alot about kitchen aid. what size?
i know alot of threads are out there, but i would like to hear feed back from people who have just purchased these or currently using them!
thanks so much!!!!!!
darlene

21 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 22

There's a lot of feedback in those threads.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 22

You need to start at the kopykake site and only buy a printer that's supported with ink cartridges and edible ink.

Many people have been having a lot of trouble with KS mixers. Personally, I wouldn't buy one. I'd hold out for a Viking.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 22

I love my kitchen aid and I would suggest the 5 or 6qt. Cuisenart has come out with a 7qt mixer that I REALLY want but I wouldnt be able to justify buying one because my KA works great. So Im waiting for my kitchen aid to break icon_smile.gif

jpcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 22

I don't know what I'd do without my 6qt. KitchenAid stand mixer! I just recently threw out my handmixer because I haven't touched it in a year!

I've looked into the KopyKat system and I've decided to just go to my local decorating store that can make edible images for me; I honestly don't do that many anyways. It seems to me those are outdated and the new decorating craze is images made from royal icing/fondant or 3D. Good luck on what you decide!

KathyTW Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 22

I have 2 KA mixers - don't know how I would survive without them. I got my original one several years ago and it is the "Ultra Power" model. The second is just a "Classic" and I wish I would have spent the extra $$ to get the better one.

For my printer, I have a Canon Pixma printer that I purchased from Icing Images. I don't do as much printing as I thought I would so I'm not too sure it was worth the investment. It uses a ton of ink and I've wasted a lot of edible paper and ink trying to get the pictures to look right - mostly was trouble with one of the magenta cartridges not flowing well.

Good luck ....

auntiekim82 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 22

I love love love my 5qt Kitchen Aid! I've never had any problems with it...it's quite a trooper!

Good luck with your purchases! thumbs_up.gif

abslu Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 22

I couldn't do cakes w/out my KA!!! I got the smallest one when I purchased mine. . . . now I wish I would have gotten the biggest one possible! If you can afford it, get the big one! Even if you don't think you need it now, you'll use it! I've been hinting (i.e. NAGGING icon_lol.gif) my husband for a bigger one for quite a while. I think he's about ready to cave! Enjoy your new "toys" icon_smile.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 22

6 qt Kitchen Aid Mixer = BEST. INVESTMENT. EVER.

I bought mine at BB&B with a 20% off coupon two years ago.

moxey2000 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 22

I bought a KA 6qt Pro Series mixer about a year ago and I've never regretted it for a second! It's the most awesome mixer I've ever owned. I thought about investing in a printer and I did lots of research on it. So far I haven't bought one. I'm not sure I'd have enough customers to make it worthwhile. I have a cake supply store that does them for me, I just email it and then run by and pick it up.

isista Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:42am
post #11 of 22

no idea about printer but i LOVE my KA 5 qt.never had a problem..

thecakebox Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:23am
post #12 of 22

I have a 7 qt delonghi that i got from costco online, its the same price as the cuisinart 7 qt but costco gives you an extra bowl and 2 attachments free. It is AWESOME!! You can put so much stuff in there and the motor is really powerful icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #13 of 22

I have two 7 qt delongi (back in the day they were Kenwood) and 1 works well and 1 is weird. They do hold a lot and are powerful, but mine are noisy. And to clarify it's the KA Pro series that has a lot of problems.

snowshoe1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 22

I think to suggest a brand/size to anyone really depends on what they will be using it for. Are you using it everyday, how large are your batches, how often will you print images and what sizes, etc...

I like my KA 6qt Pro Series mixer, but in retrospect I wish I had gone with the Viking because of the features and durability (love all their appliances!).

I had a Canon printer for edible images and I would only used it a few times a month at the most. Purchased the inks from www.tastyfotoart.com and the printer from Staples (I think). IMHO it was not worth the cost of inks, headaches with clogging, etc... so I now use it to print photos. It is cheaper for me to use the local bakery if I need an image.

Sorry if the above sounds negative, but I've made some major purchase mistakes and would hate to see anyone make the same.

liapsim Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 22

I love my KA 5 stand mixer....I couldn't do what I do without it! I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon a year ago!!! Best investment so far!

twooten173 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 22

I have the 4.5 ka and it's great for basic mixing. When I do three batches of icing it flies out the bowl. I just scored the Cuisinart 7 qt mixer two days ago from Linen's n Things for $270. Used it on the 3 batches of icing and the bowl seemed empty. I'm in love!

My printer is the Pixma 3000. If you don't use it weekly, it will clog. I don't have the kopykake ink. It's from a place in Virginia.

twooten173 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

For my printer, I have a Canon Pixma printer that I purchased from Icing Images. I don't do as much printing as I thought I would so I'm not too sure it was worth the investment. It uses a ton of ink and I've wasted a lot of edible paper and ink trying to get the pictures to look right - mostly was trouble with one of the magenta cartridges not flowing well.

Good luck ....

That's the place. And I have the same exact problem. Maybe it's because of Icing Images ink. I've heard people say they use the KK one once per month with no clogging.

foxymomma521 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 22

I have the pro 600 KA and love it... I also have a Cannon EI printer and love it... Maybe I'm in the minority?

debster Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #19 of 22

I have 3 sizes of the KA the bigger the better I say for frosting anyway. No problems with them, but I gotta say I did look at the other brands 7quart but it was outa my price range. I say the biggest you can afford. I would definately go with a Brand that was mentioned here, I can say no Sunbeams or nothing of that sort. JMO

TheCakeGirl87 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 22

I have a 5 qt Kitchen Aid and I love it! icon_biggrin.gif I would have more then one if I could but I am just a poor college student. However, I HAVE had problems with my mixer. icon_sad.gif I purchased it from the Kitchen Aid website in December of 2006 by March of 2007 my bowl was rusting icon_mad.gif (very very very small spot, but it made me mad that I had just bought this very expensive mixer and it was not perfect! icon_cry.gif ) and my whisk attachment was making my hands black when I touched it! icon_eek.gif I didnât want to know what I was eating! I called Kitchen Aid with my complaint, they told me that they would send me a box for the two items and then they would send me replacements. I told them that I had just purchased this and would now have to wait another month or two to get my replacement parts to be able to use this and I was not ok with that! thumbsdown.gif I was really busy at the time with test at school so I decided that the bowl was still usable and I could make due without my whisk and I would deal with it after all my test. To my surprise one week later I had a package from Kitchen Aid with a new bowl and a whisk attachment! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

debster Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #21 of 22

That's what's important also , customer service!!!!! I've ordered parts and replaced things on my old one and it purrs like a kitten and was easy and fast to get and replace the parts. That's a bonus.

TheCakeGirl87 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, customer service is very important!

Might I also add to my first post that the parts were sent to me at no additional charge and they are still working great to this very day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%