Satin Ice Questions

Decorating By cakeladyem Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm by Hollysuann

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 11

I have never used Satin Ice before but I have heard nothing but good about it and am thinking of ordering it. There is nothing available where I live other than Wilton, so that and homemade are all I have used. Are there any differences in working with Satin Ice that I should know? Also considering using Dark Chocolate Satin Ice for a cake and wondered if it is any different to work with than other fondants? Also, if I buy it in the 20 lb bucket, how long will it stay fresh and not dry out once it is opened? Thanks!

10 replies
SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 11

Hello~

I probably can't answer all the questions you asked about Satin Ice BUT I am definitely a Satin Ice fan!!!! For the longest time I would make MMF and it was such a pain in the _ _ _. So I decided to order some Satin Ice and I am glad I did! I wouldn't say it's different to work with. Super smooth. You don't have to worry about pieces of unmixed powdered sugar in it. AND I think it tatses WONDERFUL! I first bought the 5lb tub of white and the 2lb tub of black (because it's a pain to make black). It definitely doesn't go far so I just bought the 20 lb tub to use on a wedding cake. It claims it will stay fresh for a year... as long as it's wrapped up and the lid's on. I am sure you will end up going through it long before the year's up anyways. P.S. I still have some of my 5lb tub left even though I now have the 20lb and it's still fresh. I hope this helped.

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 11

I can't answer all your questions either. I use to make my own MMF and used only that, until I had a huge cake order and ordered Satin ice to help with the order. I now will only use the Sating Ice. It is much easier to work with and rolls out smoothly.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto on what they said about MMF. I love Satin Ice and found it very easy to work with. I don't know about the chocolate though. I haven't had any problems with it drying out but I make sure that I keep it wrapped up.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 11

I've been using Satin Ice since my very first wedding cake a couple of years ago. I purchased a 20 lb. bucket and thought I'd never use it all. Believe it or not, it's all gone and it lasted a full year in the original bucket I purchased it in. Satin Ice is great to work with - very smooth and pliable and it tastes great. It works better when mixed 50/50 with gumpaste for drying when using for molding/flower making, etc. I recently purchased Choc Pan fondant and also like it a lot but a little more costly. In my opinion Satin Ice is worth the extra few $$$ for best results. Have a great day and happy baking/decorating. icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 11

The only thing I can add is the chocolate SI is much softer than the regular, and it tastes kind of like a tootsie roll

cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all, that is super helpful!

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 11

I am getting ready to use SI for the first time myself. It came today..I ordered it from Outoftheoven.com. I thought the prices (when compared to Wilton) were VERY reasonable. I am excited to work with it. I opened up the container of the dark chocolate today and it smells VERY yummy!

cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

Let me know how you like it please, if its tough to work with being softer than regular fondant. Thanks!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysuann

I am getting ready to use SI for the first time myself. It came today..I ordered it from Outoftheoven.com. I thought the prices (when compared to Wilton) were VERY reasonable. I am excited to work with it. I opened up the container of the dark chocolate today and it smells VERY yummy!

Do you mean intotheoven.com? icon_smile.gif

I LOVE Satin Ice!!! I also love the shipping time from intotheoven as well. When you need it a certain color, try to buy it already colored. I found that the head of my hands and adding color to Satin Ice made it REALLY soft and almost impossible to work with. I added a little more powdered sugar and that helped, but I say stick with the premade colors. icon_wink.gif

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="emrldskyDo you mean intotheoven.com? icon_smile.gif [/quote]

Yeah! That's the one!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%