Satin Ice Questions

Decorating By cakeladyem Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm by Hollysuann

cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 11

I have never used Satin Ice before but I have heard nothing but good about it and am thinking of ordering it. There is nothing available where I live other than Wilton, so that and homemade are all I have used. Are there any differences in working with Satin Ice that I should know? Also considering using Dark Chocolate Satin Ice for a cake and wondered if it is any different to work with than other fondants? Also, if I buy it in the 20 lb bucket, how long will it stay fresh and not dry out once it is opened? Thanks!

10 replies
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 11

Hello~

I probably can't answer all the questions you asked about Satin Ice BUT I am definitely a Satin Ice fan!!!! For the longest time I would make MMF and it was such a pain in the _ _ _. So I decided to order some Satin Ice and I am glad I did! I wouldn't say it's different to work with. Super smooth. You don't have to worry about pieces of unmixed powdered sugar in it. AND I think it tatses WONDERFUL! I first bought the 5lb tub of white and the 2lb tub of black (because it's a pain to make black). It definitely doesn't go far so I just bought the 20 lb tub to use on a wedding cake. It claims it will stay fresh for a year... as long as it's wrapped up and the lid's on. I am sure you will end up going through it long before the year's up anyways. P.S. I still have some of my 5lb tub left even though I now have the 20lb and it's still fresh. I hope this helped.

jenstastycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 11

I can't answer all your questions either. I use to make my own MMF and used only that, until I had a huge cake order and ordered Satin ice to help with the order. I now will only use the Sating Ice. It is much easier to work with and rolls out smoothly.

tracycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto on what they said about MMF. I love Satin Ice and found it very easy to work with. I don't know about the chocolate though. I haven't had any problems with it drying out but I make sure that I keep it wrapped up.

PaulaT Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 11

I've been using Satin Ice since my very first wedding cake a couple of years ago. I purchased a 20 lb. bucket and thought I'd never use it all. Believe it or not, it's all gone and it lasted a full year in the original bucket I purchased it in. Satin Ice is great to work with - very smooth and pliable and it tastes great. It works better when mixed 50/50 with gumpaste for drying when using for molding/flower making, etc. I recently purchased Choc Pan fondant and also like it a lot but a little more costly. In my opinion Satin Ice is worth the extra few $$$ for best results. Have a great day and happy baking/decorating. icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 11

The only thing I can add is the chocolate SI is much softer than the regular, and it tastes kind of like a tootsie roll

cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all, that is super helpful!

Hollysuann Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 11

I am getting ready to use SI for the first time myself. It came today..I ordered it from Outoftheoven.com. I thought the prices (when compared to Wilton) were VERY reasonable. I am excited to work with it. I opened up the container of the dark chocolate today and it smells VERY yummy!

cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

Let me know how you like it please, if its tough to work with being softer than regular fondant. Thanks!

emrldsky Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysuann

I am getting ready to use SI for the first time myself. It came today..I ordered it from Outoftheoven.com. I thought the prices (when compared to Wilton) were VERY reasonable. I am excited to work with it. I opened up the container of the dark chocolate today and it smells VERY yummy!

Do you mean intotheoven.com? icon_smile.gif

I LOVE Satin Ice!!! I also love the shipping time from intotheoven as well. When you need it a certain color, try to buy it already colored. I found that the head of my hands and adding color to Satin Ice made it REALLY soft and almost impossible to work with. I added a little more powdered sugar and that helped, but I say stick with the premade colors. icon_wink.gif

Hollysuann Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="emrldskyDo you mean intotheoven.com? icon_smile.gif [/quote]

Yeah! That's the one!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%