Sugar Beer Bottles

Decorating By BobbiA Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm by SweetResults

BobbiA Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 3

I need some reassurance that I'm on the right track here. I'm working on making the latex mold for the sugar beer bottles and it seems as if it's taking forever! Do these usually take a long time to make? I've put on 5 coats already and the directions say 10-12 coats. I just worry that I'm doing all this work and the mold won't be able to support the poured sugar. Any hints?

Also, has anyone tired the beer chocolate cake posted in the recipes section?

2 replies
Denise Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 3

Bobbi,
My friend, Dena Bryngleson developed this technique. She uses the blue mold compound from MakeYourOwnMold.com to make the bottles. Take the bottle and put agenerous amount of the compound around 2/3 of the bottle so that the back is open. You can even make molds that are only the top 2/3 of the bottle (still with the back open) so that you have smaller shorter bottles.

I have never used the latex to make them. [/u][/i]

SweetResults Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 3

I made a mold in one day - but it is better if you wait a day or so if you can. Just keep putting on the layers, waiting in between for them to dry a bit.

You will also need a firm clay mold of half a bottle to support the soft latex mold.

I like the latex one because I like to have the whole bottle, although I am sure there is a way to make a mold of both sides of the bottle with the blue mold compound - that is what I used for my half mold that supports the latex one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%