Cake Decorating Courses

Decorating By nesika Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm by jpcs

nesika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I was wandering what is your experience with for example Wilton classes!

Are they as good as lets say French Culinary Institute NYC classes or any other culinary schools classes?

Thank you!

2 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 3

If you are looking for basic skills the Wilton courses are perfect and priced well. It also depends on your instructor.

The French Culinary institute does have a program but are you looking for a pastry chef degree or just cake decorating skills? If you want just cake decorating classes, stick with Wilton. Else you are going to spend $30K - but you will gain many other skills.

Also, you may want to check out the following link (I assume you are in NYC):

https://web.iceculinary.com/icereg/index.asp

Toba Garrett offers three one-week courses on cake decorating.

jpcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 3

I've taken classes from Wilton, at the school in lllinois and at a local craft store. Depending on the class, they are not too expensive and you do learn a lot. I've learned more from the students/instructors on things not covered in the class content sometimes! I've also gone to a local cake decorating club's annual cake classes where they bring in decorators from other parts of the country.

I say if you can spare anywhere from $40-200 on a class or a few, take them! Plus, it's always nice when you're in a classroom, away from distractions, so you can concentrate on what you're learning and it's always nice to have a break from home!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%