Flat Cookies :(

Baking By CambriasCakes Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 5:47am by CambriasCakes

CambriasCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 16

Can anyone tell me what the secret is for getting your chocolate chip cookies to bake up "fluffy"? Mine always come out flat! I use the recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag....maybe someone out there in CookieLand has a better one they can share?

Thanks in advance!

15 replies
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 16

There is an excellent analysis of chocolate chip cookies by Alton Brown. If you go to foodnetwork.com and search for Alton and chocolate chip he explains 3 major types, chewy, puffy, and I forget the third

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 16

Ive found that when I use all butter they bake flat but when I used half margarine and half butter they didnt get as flat. ALso maybe use a cookie scoop

dandelion56602 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 16

Third one is crisp. Just rewatched that episode on youtube. I still have a problem though & am going to try elminating or reducing the soda/powder b/c I've heard over & over for the past few days on different shows that they will cause cookies to spread. Also, shortening is suppose to have a higher melting point than butter, so I'm going to retry some recipes w/ butter flavored shortening & see how they turn out.

mawagner Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 16

Butter makes the cookies flat. I recently read that if your cc cookie is made with only butter, you should chill the dough (after scooping and before baking) so that the butter doesn't melt as quickly. I just made a recipe today (in my quest to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie LOL) that uses half butter and half shortening. It worked really well.
You can also try adding additional flour to your recipe or a box of instant pudding (vanilla and white chocolate are both great icon_smile.gif

HTH

spunkybear Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 16

Here is a recipe that I use IMO are the best I have tried in ions!!! And they are NOT flat cookies by any means. thumbs_up.gif
Big Fat Chewey Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

--------------------------------
------------------------------
------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

dandelion56602 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 16

I tried that recipe & mine DID come out flat. Don't know why... they were chewy though.

CambriasCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much for all the responses!

I'll definitely try the 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening deal......hmmmm...I just might have to try them out tonight!

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:16am
post #9 of 16

Ok, so after reading this & needing to make some cookies for a LARGE pool party I've tried 3 different recipes & I'll include another I did recently.

None of the dough was chilled & I used a 1 T scoop, to lazy to go see what the size is. And butter flavored Crisco when I say shortening.

1. http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=29649
---Hands down the best non-flat cookie I've made yet.(used 1/2 & 1/2 one batch & then made again w/ all shortening---both had minimal spreading)
--Will use all butter next time to see how it turns out.
--Cookies were about 2" in diameter after baking.

2. http://dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/2199/Recipe.cfm
--Runner up. Used all butter once & all shortening once. They spread close to the same, all butter maybe a tinge more.
--This cookie w/ the 1T scoop was about the size & looked about like the Soft Batch cookies in the store
--Did this a few days ago w/ all butter & bigger (1/4 C scoop). These turned out about the size of the Peppridge Farm cookies.
--The all butter dough was to die for & I almost didn't make the cookies!

Both 1 & 2 cookies had a slight crisp outside---don't think an almost burn edge of a cookie no where near that "crisp". Neither were "chewy" in my book, but the texture was fine on all.

My favorite taste & texture was #2 w/ all butter when I made the 1/4 scoop (about 4" wide baked).

I was definitely the most pleased overall w/ #1 recipe in looks & they tasted better than #2 made with 1/2 & 1/2.

I did bake all at 325 F even though #1 says 375 F.

2 things I've discovered in the past week (& many dozens of cookies---I've tested 3 other recipes in addition to these).
#1 Those insulated cookie sheets do tend to give a taller, less flat cookie
#2 Chocolate chunks tend to give a prettier cookie than chips. I like 1/2 chips & 1/2 chunks.

Gosh that's a lot of info. Hope I don't totally confuse you guys. If so, just ask questions.

CambriasCakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:43am
post #10 of 16

Dandelion - thanks for posting your research findings!

I've tried chilling the dough first but that hasn't helped and neither has using a cookie scoop. They still spread, but now I'm sure it's the butter. I didn't get to try them out tonight but I did pick up some butter flavored crisco at the store so maybe I'll try it over the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help!

Alisha

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:12am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

There is an excellent analysis of chocolate chip cookies by Alton Brown. If you go to foodnetwork.com and search for Alton and chocolate chip he explains 3 major types, chewy, puffy, and I forget the third

i love Alton Brown's Good Eats and I just saw thate pisode on youtube. he really explains it well icon_smile.gif
I believe it was the thin, the puffy and the chewy.

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 16

When I watched the video what he called puffy aren't puffy IMO.

Here's another recipe that uses pudding that I haven't tried b/c cookies I've had in the past that were made w/ pudding seemed to be more of a cake texture & I don't like that in a cookie.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Award-Winning-Soft-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/Detail.aspx

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 16

I have these which are just delicate enough in flavor that they do not overpower you with sweetness and they are mighty fluffy...

1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 lg. eggs
1/2 c. milk
2 tsp vanilla or other flavor
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda (place in the milk)
1 bag chocolate chips or butterscotch chips

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and milk with soda. Mix together and add baking powder. Gradually add flour and stir well. Stir in chocolate chips or butterscotch chips. Place on a greased cookie sheet about 1 teaspoon of dough. Bake at 400 degrees until the edge is lightly brown

CambriasCakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 16

DessertDiva.....OMG those look so good! That's what I'm talking about!! They look like little biscuits! My sister makes them and they come out just like that but every time I ask her what she does differently, she just says, "I don't know they just come out that way." I think she's been keeping this secret from me all along.....little heffer!!!

thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriasCakes

DessertDiva.....OMG those look so good! That's what I'm talking about!! They look like little biscuits! My sister makes them and they come out just like that but every time I ask her what she does differently, she just says, "I don't know they just come out that way." I think she's been keeping this secret from me all along.....little heffer!!!

These are a family recipe passed down from generation to generation. My grandmama used to call them "Dough Biscuits". These were made without chocolate chips, but some had raisins and dried fruits. They are very cake like, almost chewy scone like. Hope you enjoy them!!

CambriasCakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:47am
post #16 of 16

DessertDiva...the way you described them sounds just like these scone/cookie/cake things my grandma used to make! She used to put raisins in hers and they were so good!!! She passed away when I was only 8 years old and my mom never learned to make them...and of course there was no recipe written down anywhere. We don't even know what they were really called!

The last time she made them my uncle told my mom she should learn to make them because someday Grandma would be gone and they would all be sorry. My mom brushed it off and got upset at him for saying that but a month later my grandma died.

I've got to try these! My mom tried them once and they came out hard as rocks! Thank you for posting the recipe!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%