Refund Or Not!

Decorating By cerobs Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm by cakebaker1957

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 14

O.k. Ladies this is the lastes. The mother of the bride called to see where is her full refund of her money. She said that the top two tier fall and she want all of her money she suppose to email me picture of the cake last weekend. NO PICTURE YET. I don't have a problem refund some money but I would like a picture of the cakes. She told me He!! no she wasnt sending a picture and she want her money .. O.k. so I decide to call the bride and see what really happen to the cake. She said the someone take the top tier off and she did take picture of the three tier cake and all the cake was eating. What should I do?

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First
LL

13 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 14

Why did they take the top tier off? Who took it off? It appears to be leaning in the photo.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 14

Who paid for the cake - the bride or MOB? If it was the bride, tell MOB you will only deal with her daughter. If MOB paid for the cake, I would tell her you will refund the cost of the top two tiers, once you see a picture. No picture, no refund. AND only if she can speak to you appropriately (I just read your other post). Any swearing, no refund.

Good luck!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 14

The cake does appear to be leaning, however, w/o a picture or any sort of hard evidence no refund.

And I would actually speak to the person who SIGNED THE CONTRACT - anyone can write a check. You (should) have a contract with the person and only deal with that person.

Good luck!!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 14

it's a beautiful cake, but it does look to be leaning a bit in the photo...maybe that was why someone removed it. either way, though, that was their choice. i agree with the previous poster...depending on who paid for it, that should be the one responsible for any complaints. no matter who it is, though, you do not deserve to be cussed at or spoken ugly to!!!

i don't know about anyone else, but in this day and age, i've learned to document everything that goes wrong, to use as proof. i guarantee you that if this cake had fallen, and a photo had been taken, that that mother would have been all too eager to shove them in your face as evidence.

i personally think that she's trying to blow smoke up your patootie. stand your ground...no pictures, no refund.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 14

sorry, double post!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

And I would actually speak to the person who SIGNED THE CONTRACT - anyone can write a check. You (should) have a contract with the person and only deal with that person.

If someone besides the bride or groom is paying for the cake, I have all three sign the contract -the bride, the groom and whoever is responsible for payment.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 14

If the top tier was not leaning when you set it up, and someone other than you removed and then replaced the top tier causing it to lean, then it is not your fault.

You can not control what people do to a cake after you have dropped it off.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 14

It sounds like they may have removed it because the top tier was leaning? But it also sounds like they ate it all. The MOB sounds like she is embellishing and acting belligerent to get $$ back. I'd consider refunding the cost of the top tier at the very least but not the entire cake.

And deal with whoever you dealt with before. If it is the MOB, tell her what her daughter stated and that you will refund for ____ (whatever you choose - top tier, a %, etc.). But unless she has pictures of a fallen cake...she can kick rocks.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

i guarantee you that if this cake had fallen, and a photo had been taken, that that mother would have been all too eager to shove them in your face as evidence.

i personally think that she's trying to blow smoke up your patootie. stand your ground...no pictures, no refund.

She hit the nail on the head.

cerobs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 14

the bride sign the contract with me but the mob paid the first part of the money and the bride paid the final payment. The mob said she is going sue for the full payment . Im waiting for the bride call me back regard the partial refund. she said she need to talk to her mother and she will email me back.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 14

What a nightmare for you! Sorry this happening. The contract is between you and the bride since she signed the contract. Tell the MOB that you will only work with the bride. Advise her that you have already spoken to the bride and that she told you all the cake was eaten. What is she going to sue you for? They ate the cake, the cake was standing when you left, and you have a picture to prove it. Although it is leaning, but if the bride said tat someone took the first tier off (not fallen off) and dit was eaten, then what's the MOB's problem?

cerobs Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #13 of 14

She is mad because the cake was leaning and I couldn't come back up there to correct the issue. I had to deliver another cake and plus I stay there for 2 1/2 hour try to fix the tops tier. She is mad as he!!. She want her money back. I offer partial refund but she said no but that was before I spoke with her daughter.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 14

I would tell her that i will refund only what the top tier cost, since all other cakes looks good, and since she ate it all and no pictures provided

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%