Freezerjelly ??? Does It Need

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm by msmeg

cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hi to all i really need someone to help me on this one. I have a cake for Sunday but they want to pick it up Saturday, im using strawberry jelly for the filling its my own it has surejell and sugar and fresh berries this hasnt been cooked only the surejell does this need to be refrigerated im finishing it on Friday night to deliver Saturday this wont be ate until Sunday around 2 or so
Thanks please help icon_confused.gif

6 replies
Staceface81 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

Just to be safe, I'd refrigerate it............although I've left cakes out for a few days with jelly/icing filling and they were fine. If it's a "runny" type of jelly, then it might soak into the cake, causing a problem. My mom's "freezer jelly" gets pretty runny at room temperature.

southerncake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 7

I make that same freezer jelly recipe. I usually refrigerate anything that I use it with.

cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceface81

Just to be safe, I'd refrigerate it............although I've left cakes out for a few days with jelly/icing filling and they were fine. If it's a "runny" type of jelly, then it might soak into the cake, causing a problem. My mom's "freezer jelly" gets pretty runny at room temperature.

Thanks mine is runny too i usually mix in some BC just to make it thick

cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

I make that same freezer jelly recipe. I usually refrigerate anything that I use it with.

Does refrigerating cakes make them dry, im afraid of this i told the girl i havent tried one yet but it may be dry she said it wouldnt be my fault since she had to move the date how would you store it you know wrap it or i can store it in a cake keeper
Thanks

KoryAK Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 7

I'm thinking one day at room temp won't hurt anything.

msmeg Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 7

freezer jelly is no more runny at room temp than cold. It sits for 24 hours on the counter when you make it so no it will not spoil that fast.

it will not mold that fast no faster than any other jam or jelly

think about it does a strawberry growing in the feild have to be in the fridge??

now if your jam is runny you either have old pectin, did not follow the directions.( didn't boil long enough) or too much liquid.

I have in the past when I thought I had old pectin do that step againwith some new surejell and mix it in the runny jam and it firmed it right up.

My freezer Strawberry jam is not runny cold or room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%