Fbct Question/s

Decorating By Swede74 Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm by chasebrad

Swede74 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 9

I am about to make my first FBCT but I am wondering about the consistency of the BC. The outlining I'm assuming will be a stiffer consitency than the BC I'm filling with. Is that correct? How thin should the BC be that I'm filling with?
I did a logo a few weeks ago, but that was in royal icing, but I think BC is more the way to go (especially when it comes to flavor).
I have read the instructions by Dawn Griffin, but any tips on consitency would be appreciated.
Thanks!

-Lisa

8 replies
Swede74 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 9

I obviously can't spell CONCISTENCY (did I spell that right this time)?

valbos22 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 9

Someone posted this link the other day. It shows the chocolate transfer method, piping gel and frozen buttercream. Hope it helps!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/111071540UEhrpE

valbos22 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 9

Someone posted this link the other day. It shows the chocolate transfer method, piping gel and frozen buttercream. Hope it helps!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/111071540UEhrpE

abslu Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 9

I just did 9 mini FBCTs last night (they were between the size of a quarter and a half dollar). My buttercream (Buttercream Dream recipe from this site - YUMMY!!!! icon_razz.gif - anywhoo . . . ) was medium to soft because my house was SO warm. It was a good thing for me because I was using the Wilton tip #1 - TINY!!!!!! My had was killing me even after using a very soft icing. Usually I like to use medium to stiff for the outline and softer to fill in - the softer the icing, I've found, the less likely you'll have "lines" and your frosting will fill in better (faster too!). I also found that instead of using back and forth "stripes" to fill in the transfer, squeeze at a consistant rate and "dot" back and forth, kind of like you would if you are using a star tip, but don't lift the tip up. I love doing FBCTs, I'm not very artistic, and this method works great for me because all it requires is the ability to trace! icon_smile.gif Good luck!! Hope i helped some!

tracey1970 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 9

If memory serves, I used the same consistency for both the outline and the fill-in. Not significantly different anyway, if I did use two consistencies. What I found was that I did the outline, then froze it, pulled it out of the freezer after maybe 10 minutes (giving me time to prep bags, etc, for my first colour), fill in one colour, pop FBCT back in freezer and prep colour 2, fill in next colour, pop bakc in fridge, etc. etc.

Also, if you hadn't read this elsewhere, I would recommend doing the transfer on a piece of plexiglass - tape the pic to the counter, place a sheet of plexiglass over that, tape waxed paper to plexiglass, and go! Being able to pick up the plexiglass and check it on the underside (which will be the side facing UP on your cake) is great. You can see if you have left any gaps, missed any areas, you can see and smooth out any icing squiggles, etc.

Swede74 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 9

I use a soft medium for both the outline and fill in.

chasebrad Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 9

I use the same consistency for outline and fill in. The same icing I use to frost the entire cake. Probably in between the medium to soft range.

Best of luck! I love FBCT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%