Buttercream Consistency?

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm by MeliaJ

MeliaJ Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

Iâm a newbie at decorating and currently taking Wilton Course 1. The instructor has shown us how to make âclass buttercreamâ and how to thin it down for different things.

Is other buttercream (like in the recipe section here) the same way? Can you thin it down with just a bit of water for different icing styles? Or is there another way? I donât really want to used âclass buttercreamâ on my cakes, Iâd rather use good icing since we will be eating it afterwards.

Or if anyone has any other recommendations for buttercream recipes to use for class that are better than the âclassâ version.

5 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 6

Hi MeliaJ, for powdered sugar/shortening/butter based buttercreams you can thin down with water to get to the desired consistency. I like to use corn syrup to thin down when doing any strings in BC.

Not sure how you 'thin down' IMBC, SMBC, etc... Maybe someone else can give you some input on this.

MeliaJ Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, the instructor did tell us how to thin down the class style BC, but I didnt know if it was the same way for other types as well.

mom2leelee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

I use either milk or water to thin down my bc, depending on if the cake will be in the fridge or not. I use 50% butter/ 50% crisco in my buttercream.

I've never tried the corn syrup but I'm going to!

TexasSugar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 6

Okay as a WMI I would first like to say this... If you decide to go with a different recipe/type of icing for your cake, please atleast use the Class Buttercream recipe for the practice and decorations. We use this recipe in class for a reason. Because you are using crisco instead of butter it will hold up better for the repeated use we are putting it through. Also if you use another type/recipe of buttercream and have issues with it your instructor may not be able to help you fix it.

I totally understand trying different recipes for icing, but I do think that the class recipe is a good recipe to begin with. Especially since you know how to thin it down and how much water it takes to do some. Most buttercream recipes (with powder sugar) are basicly the same, but the amounts of things are different and until you learn the fill of thin, medium and stiff they may be harder for you to use and figure out what consistancy to use.

Have you made the Wilton recipe yet? Have you tried it? What are your objections to it?

I use an all crisco icing myself, basicly a modified version of Wilton's on all my cakes and everyone eats them and likes the icing. I know everyone has their own taste buds, but to us it is a 'good icing.'

MeliaJ Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 6

TexasSugar, Thanks for your response. I have not tasted the WIlton class icing yet. Our instructor said it wasnt very good, so I was just planning ahead if I didnt end up liking it when I made it this week myself icon_smile.gif.

I will give it a try and who knows it may end up being my favorite!

Quote by @%username% on %date%