Spam Cake Orders??

Business By loriemoms Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 4:09am by littlecake

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 14

I have received a couple of emails like this..one offered 2000 dollars, some just say will send photos, etc. They are always for 250 people, always for pickup. A friend of mine who also has a bakery asked me one day if I was getting Cake Spam emails and I said YES! We are curious on what gives with these things? (my raider gets turned on with the bad spelling and typing and I always tell them I am booked. They just look so wierd. And the fact I have gotten a couple of them is wierd too. is the next step like let me send you a bad check or something?

Hi,

I will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and let there be an inscription be writing on one as (HAPPY MARRIAGE LIFE) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 29th of August 2008, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date for me?? . Reply me back and let me know if you can fill in the date for me.?? then i can forward all the details and the picture sample of what i will like you to bake for me.

Thanks and God bless.
Fernado

13 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 14

icon_rolleyes.gifthumbsdown.gif Looks like 10000% SPAM to me! ARgh! icon_surprised.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

I believe this email has been doing the rounds and it is a scamming email. As soon as you respond they will ask if it's ok for them to send you a cheque for about twice the cost of the cake and for you to refund the difference. Of course their cheque will then bounce and you will be left out of pocket. I simply delete and block such emails.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 14

You never know. I deal with someone who fits this description. She calls me atleast 10 times before the cake is due and repeats the same thing over and over and are very precise. If you really want to see if this is real, say yes if you really have time to do this if it turns out not to be a scam. Make them send full payment by money order and cash it asap, since you have never delt with them and see what happens. You never know, some people are just weired. But it could be a scam, but normally a scammer is after something. What would they get.

loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

I believe this email has been doing the rounds and it is a scamming email. As soon as you respond they will ask if it's ok for them to send you a cheque for about twice the cost of the cake and for you to refund the difference. Of course their cheque will then bounce and you will be left out of pocket. I simply delete and block such emails.

That is what we suspect as well. It just raises our raider. I mean its just too specific! I feel like it should be followed with "and leave suitcase under a tree with the cake in it. Do not have anyone follow you"....

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 14
loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 14

wow thanks for the thread! Its amazing how its the exact same wording!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 14

i got a money order for 2 k from them...anyone want it?

happy marriage life is the tip off...you'd think they'd change it

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 14

I was contacted by a Brazilian company asking if they could use one of my (non-cake) Flickr images for a book they are publishing. They are offering to pay me for the use. Of course I was flattered, but now I'm wondering if it's a scam. icon_sad.gif

I think I will ask them what they usually pay. If it's more than $50 or $100, I think I'll pass.

Hmmm...

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 14

The "Happy Marriage Life" is always the same in these emails. It's definitely a scammer.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 14

OMG I got the same email a few weeks back. I suspected it was spam, and didn't respond as it just looked strange to me for some reason.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #12 of 14

It happened to me this past Spring....our local newspaper did a article about it....it's a bigscam. You can even google the person's name and it has been used not only for cakes....but small t-shirt companies, small frame companies. Don't fall for it. I knew it was a scam...and when I didn't respond via e-mail....they had the nerve to call my cake shop. They finally quit e-mailing me when I sent the info I found out about them on the internet. You would think they would change the name and titles, and cake flavors, etc.....but they keep using the same thing over and over....almost makes you laugh at how stupid they are.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 14

It happened to me this past Spring....our local newspaper did a article about it....it's a big scam. You can even google the person's name and it has been used not only for cakes....but small t-shirt companies, small frame companies. Don't fall for it. I knew it was a scam...and when I didn't respond via e-mail....they had the nerve to call my cake shop. They finally quit e-mailing me when I sent the info I found out about them on the internet. You would think they would change the name and titles, and cake flavors, etc.....but they keep using the same thing over and over....almost makes you laugh at how stupid they are.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #14 of 14

what is so sad...it must still be working on some of our fellow cakers....or they still wouldn't be doin it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%