Anyone Use Riddex For Insects/pests?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:09am by sweetness_221

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #1 of 23

Hello,
Has anyone else used Riddex (electronic devise plugged into wall) to control insects, mice, etc. ? I works through the wires (not sonic) to drive them out of the house. We've been using Riddex, one on each floor (3), for about 2 weeks and think we notice a difference, but not sure...
We don't have a "ant" problem that we know of, it's mostly spiders...eww.

I was just wondering if anyone else had luck keeping pests out of the house using these devices. It appealed to us because we have a 3yr old and a cat and didn't want to use chemicals, spray, etc.

thanks... icon_smile.gif

22 replies
monkeychow4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeychow4u Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:30am
post #2 of 23

I have never used it. My daughter has pet hamsters so we can't use things like that. I have spiders but they stay in the garage. Right now I am battling ants. I hate those little buggers!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 23

I've never tried Riddex, but with this terrible heat, the inside critters are worse than ever.

For ants, I've had exceptional luck with Orange Guard. It's concentrated citrus and totally safe to use around kids, pets and food. Worked better than whatever crazy (but reportedly safe) chemical the exterminator tried.

Spiders are a nuisance, but I tend to leave them alone as long as they're not near food. An abundance of spiders means there's an abundance of food. In other words, critters that are far more disgusting than spiders!

kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

An abundance of spiders means there's an abundance of food. In other words, critters that are far more disgusting than spiders!

Most of our spiders are in our un-finished basement, where I do laundry. I can't think of what would be down there for food... unless the bugs just like the dampness...

I try not to kill anything either, and clean my counters with a mixture of vinegar and water... but I forgot to buy more. It keeps the ants away atleast... and I hang sachets with bay leaves which tends to keep away flying insects. Just wanted to try this product to drive out any rodents, or bugs we don't see.

I just HATE the idea of bugs that can "wander" into a cake... ewwww for the customer.

thanks for your replies icon_smile.gif

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 23

I have heard of the RIDDEX and wanted to try it, but have not. I'm anxious to see if anyone else has. We have the ant problem BAD. They are in our closets and the kids rooms. They are not allowed food in there period, and of course we dont eat in our closets. So what in the world are they after. We also live in the middle of a field so we have the tiny field mice, UGH. They stay in the attic but EEEWWW. I just have a creepy critter phobia anyways, so please, let me know if that works.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 23

When I lived in San Diego I used It.I don't know if it was Riddex, but I was basically the same thing. We had mice and spiders and it worked pretty good. A few spiders here and there, but not like it was. And NO more mice =)

Amanda518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda518 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 23

I have been wanting to know about this product also cause we have a bad spider problem, and the big cock roachs two...ugggh i hate them and they are nasty and make me scream and run like a wimp but I cant help it. they were mostly in the garage were I also keep the trash can. Spiders in there also.. BIG BIG ones like the size if you put your two pointer and thumbs together that size circle with legs included.. we killed them out there and then found two in the kitchen which butts up to the garage.. none in the house since those two but the roaches are starting to come in and I have a 1y and I do not want them anyway near him Ive seen like three in the past week.( sorry dont want people to think I have like hundreds lol) But our back yard buts up to an alley and field of trees and wilderness so I am sure that causes a lot but I would like them to stay outside.. thumbs_up.gif well and out of my yard.. I wounder I just sprayed my whole yard with bug killing spray I wounder if i trapped them inside...ewwww icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 23

boric acid works wonders....and is non toxic to people.

with ants you have to kill the queen....so you mix em up some bait made with boric acid...they feed her and they they all die.

it works miracles for killing roaches too....you sprinkle it aroung the baseboards....they lick it off their feet and die....3 bucks at the drug store.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 23

I used to have an ant problem years ago and then I bought some of that ant killer that comes in a container where they have to climb in to eat the liquid bait - sorry I don't remember the name. Maybe it's just me, but it works right away. I was too busy to do my seasonal bait laying and I started to see one too many for my comfort. As soon as I laid those down, they were gone. My friend lives right next to the park and she creates a barrier around her home with pesticides. Keeps the ants away. There is also something I just bouth but haven't received yet. It's nontoxic to human and animals, but bad for all kinds of creepy crawlies: www.diatect.com - I got the indoor bug stuff.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #10 of 23

terro...it has boric acid in it too

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #11 of 23
Quote:

I've never tried Riddex, but with this terrible heat, the inside critters are worse than ever.

For ants, I've had exceptional luck with Orange Guard. It's concentrated citrus and totally safe to use around kids, pets and food. Worked better than whatever crazy (but reportedly safe) chemical the exterminator tried.

Spiders are a nuisance, but I tend to leave them alone as long as they're not near food. An abundance of spiders means there's an abundance of food. In other words, critters that are far more disgusting than spiders!

i know this is crazy, but does the orange guard smell like oranges? i bought earth's naturals by raid and it reeks of clove and it's gross and oily.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:17am
post #12 of 23

I bought these about a year ago. It was the buy one get one free thing. I mainly bought them because we had wolf spiders and ants. The ants are gone, but the spiders are not. Ughhh that was the main one I wanted gone. The other reason we bought them is because my oldest DD's father has roaches and I am so deathly afraid that she's going to bring one home. I'm not really sure how it works on roaches. Thankfully I haven't had any, but as for other random bugs I've seen, it does work on them. They go nuts. It looks like they are drunk. Now it doesn't kill them, but if you do find a bug it slows it down so you can kill it easier. I will say though if you do the "express shipping" for the units it will cost you about $50 for 2 units. Even with buy one get one free. You have to pay for shipping on each unit. IMO if you are having problems with any type of bugs I would call an exterminator to come out and spray. They have a spray that can be sprayed around children and pets. Even on toys. I think it's made from some flower or something. We do a yearly spray on our house just for maintenance. Plus it helps keep the spider population down in my basement. HTH.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #13 of 23

I did a search on consumer reviews for this product for you, and it doesn't sound too good. Hope it helps.

http://riddex.pissedconsumer.com/

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:43am
post #14 of 23

I've never tried it.

I don't bother the spiders that are in the windows or other areas...they're helping me lessen the other bugs...flies, gnats, beetles, moths.

The occasional freakin' jumpin' spider that seems to just appear near me on the floor...the shoe takes care of it!

Flies! I hate flies more than I hate roaches and i can not stand roaches. I've never seen so many flies in my entire life as I've seen since we've moved to NC. They are abundant EVERYWHERE!

Anyone know of a surefire way, other than a swatter, to keep them from entering a building????

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:56am
post #15 of 23

I always felt that something that could be harmful to critters that were as big as mice, would also be harmful to small pets and small children over a period of time...that's my thought..

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #16 of 23

I have used riddex in my home for years. They do a good job. I occasionally find a dead bug but never see live ones except at change of seasons and then there are only one or two. Before I started using them I had a bad problem that even spraying couldn't control.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym0904

Quote:

i know this is crazy, but does the orange guard smell like oranges? i bought earth's naturals by raid and it reeks of clove and it's gross and oily.

It doesn't smell any stronger than regular orange cleaner. And once it's dry, it doesn't smell at all.

Before I found this stuff, I was using straight cinnamon. Gosh, if I was using the clove stuff too, I'd probably have a Hansel and Gretel infestation! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Anyone know of a surefire way, other than a swatter, to keep them from entering a building????

Try hanging a sachet or mesh bag with fresh bay leaves - they keep flying insects out of our home or even a basil plant on the counter.

I'm vegan, so I really can't justify killing "anything" purposefully without being a hypocrite, so that's why we went with Riddex.

Today, I noticed the spider in the bathroom has moved out... Silverfish are a PAIN in the A$$ !!! I hope they pack their bags REAL soon... icon_twisted.gif
Thankfully roaches aren't a big problem where I live.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #19 of 23

I would freak if I seen roaches! The kids laugh at me about my aversion to flies....

I keep telling them..."you don't know if it's the same fly that was on the dog's s#1&!" I don't want them near me...nowhere in view....Oh, my word...when they get all juiced up on something...and they start that incessant buzzing....

Can you tell, I hate 'em

kellertur Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #20 of 23

all4cake: I hear you...

I developed some post-partum OCD (ok, it intensified what was already there...) so I think the same way when I see flies in our house. Only I probably take it a bit too far... icon_redface.gif

Nature's great ! ~I just don't want things getting into my food, etc. (ok, or landing on me...) icon_rolleyes.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 23

The best, and I mean best roach killer is Combat Traps in the gold box. I live here in the south where the roaches are as big as mice (or seem to be to me). icon_surprised.gif I saw a story on TV about the man who created Combat after I'd been using it for years. I was hooked. The guy knew he created the best product there is for roaches.

It's not cheap, over 8 dollars for a box of 8 large roach traps. I put 8 traps in my shed outside and a week later, the place is full of dead roaches. I put 8 traps in my attic and 8 traps scattered in my house. I actually did that today because we saw a roach in side. The last time I did it was 2005 after Katrina, not a roach since them. They say to replace them once a year but I just replace them when I see a roach which is usually after about 2 years or more.

The traps are clean and safer than spray. There is no poison laying around for kids to get into although I do hide the traps in kid proof places.

I'm telling you those traps are magic. I once put them in an air-conditioning closet in a rental we lived in that was totally cockroach infested and opened the cabinet the next week and their were hundreds of the monsters feet up in there. It was terrifying that we'd been living with them.

As far as the Riddex, I'm sure that some people may swear by it but it seemed gimicky to me. As a student of science, I don't see how anything can travel backwards through electrical lines AND make something that will irritate both an insect and mammal species, these animals have completely different sensory systems AND I also thought that anything that could harm or irritate a mammal could hurt pets or kids. Mostly I think it might be a placebo. I'd check some research on it or better yet, send it in to Myth Busters, maybe they can find out if it really works. icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #22 of 23

I wanted to follow up on this, since I began it. We've been using Riddex now for about month.... (doesn't kill them, drives them out)
It DOES seem to be working, especially for spiders, etc. We have a few in the dungeon, I mean basement, but the wires are not behind walls, so that might be some sort of "bug loophole", heh heh.

Anyway, I have noticed a decline in bugs... thumbs_up.gif
However, it doens't seem to be effecting the SILVERFISH. icon_cry.gif
Those things gross me out... anyone have a cruelty-free, natural way to get rid of silverfish? Thankfully they scurry across the floor, not the counters.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I wanted to follow up on this, since I began it. We've been using Riddex now for about month.... (doesn't kill them, drives them out)
It DOES seem to be working, especially for spiders, etc. We have a few in the dungeon, I mean basement, but the wires are not behind walls, so that might be some sort of "bug loophole", heh heh.

Anyway, I have noticed a decline in bugs... thumbs_up.gif
However, it doens't seem to be effecting the SILVERFISH. icon_cry.gif
Those things gross me out... anyone have a cruelty-free, natural way to get rid of silverfish? Thankfully they scurry across the floor, not the counters.

That was one of the reasons we bought the Riddex plugins. We have silverfish really bad under the wood siding on our house. It's an old house so there are lots of nooks and crannies for things to get in. They love my bathroom because of the moisture so they are really bad in there. I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. Even using boric acid. It specifically said it would get rid of them. Unfortunately unless we rip all of the siding off of the house and replace all of the insulation then we are stuck with them. I don't have a cruelty free way to get rid of them, but I did use a regular around-the-house bug spray. I don't remember the name of it, but you can get it in the big gallon containers with the spray nozzle on the side. It's supposed to last 9 mths or so. Anyway I sprayed my bathroom and around the house and it seemed to help keep the numbers down. We still have them, but at least there aren't as many. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%