Mf Fondant Really Soft And Shiny -- Is That Okay?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm by mom2leelee

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:11am
post #1 of 2

I made some michelle foster fondant the other day to test the flavour for a wedding cake that I have to make today (Wednesday). I should say that the only other fondant I have used was what I made following the Wilton yearbook recipe. I halved the recipe and used one bag of icing sugar (1 kg or 2.2 pounds). I thought it might end up too stiff, because the recipe says only 3 to 4 pounds of sugar. Anyway, I used crisco to grease my mat, my roller and my hands. It rolled out really easily (much more easily than with the Wilton recipe), but it was almost too stretchy. I am going to be doing leaves with cookie cutters for decorations, so I tried a couple, and they stretched out when I picked them up. Also, the fondant stayed really shiny on the experiment cake, even three days later. With the other fondant, it was kind of dry, so you could rub it and smooth it out with your bare hands. I also had put a layer of buttercream on the cakes, and now it looks almost as if the fondant and the buttercream sort of melted together. I am a little concerned about how this is going to turn out. I would like to know if it is supposed to be shiny and extremely elastic. Right now, I assume that I did something wrong and should have just used icing sugar instead of crisco to prevent sticking and maybe kneaded a little more icing sugar into the fondant before I used it.

1 reply
mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 2

I think you're right. I don't think you added enough sugar. Also I like using crisco to grease the table and my hands and if the fondant is too shiny afterwards I brushed it w/ some powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%