What Cake Compliment Made You Light Up Inside?

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm by missmeg

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #31 of 97

Oh My Gosh, Kivia, what an amazing cake!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

If it's in your gallery, it's going in to my Faves!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #32 of 97

My favorite comments were from the very first cake I ever made (I really wish I had some pics posted...). It was for my BF's baby shower: a five layer devil's food with dark chocolate ganache filling, covered in chocolate bc and blue, white and brown fondant. It was in the shape of a baby block.
Her whole family was amazed, and they complimented me to the point where I was worried that the cake was getting more attention than my BF! Needless to say she loved it, and that was what really mattered the most.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #33 of 97

The black and white wedding cake dummy I made for a couple....well, the bride e-mailed me and said that she loved the cake sooo much she was keeping it and how much more money did she owe me to keep it...she said it was soo pretty she couldn't part with it. She also said that the sheet cakes were really good and asked if I did birthday cakes too!

Another awesome compliment was the biggest order I ever had....the 9-10 cakes for one wedding...the bride said that she had to order my lemon cake with kemon curd filling next month for her mom's birthday because that's ALL she talks about now!!

I love the compliments...they are what make all the time, effort, and stress worth it.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #34 of 97

My best complement was when a 12 year old boy looked at my magician cake and said âNow thatâs a cake!â icon_biggrin.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #35 of 97

My son has autism, and does not always express himself "in the moment". His pride and joy is his huge matchbox car collection; when we are out he'll see a car on the road and say "I have a tiny (Audi, Ford 150, BMW, etc.)." It's just so cool when he says things like that.
However, this past weekend, he saw a blue Honda, and said "Mommy made the blue Honda cake for the birthday party." I melted into a puddle; his party was over a month ago, and he asked for a blue Honda cake, which, of course, I did for him.

My husband got as misty as I did!

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:50pm
post #36 of 97

"Good morning. First I want to tell you how much I appreciate you being able to make the cake for me. I know you are a very busy lady, and I admire all you do. Second, I want to tell you how delicious and beautiful the cake was. Everybody raved about it. We even took pictures of it! "

This is quoted directly from an email sent from a cake I delivered this weekend. It made me feel VERY good.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1251656

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #37 of 97

i have several that have really made me beam...but then again, i've only been doing this about 2 years now, so i have a tendency to smile alot at even the littlest compliment!

the first is when the daughters of one of my girlfriends tells all their friends that "mrs starla" makes the best cakes, and when they walked through publix bakery and said "but it's not mrs starla's".

second would have to be when i surprised my mom and dad in gatlinburg with the luggage and bible cake in my album. everyone in the restaurant was coming over to our section and taking photos and asking questions...the restaurant even offered me a job! that was pretty darn flattering.

the third time was at last years county fair when the chairwoman asked my permission to display my cake at the state fair.

all of these things just make me feel so proud, and also keeps me striving for better results.

great thread!!!!!!!!!!

mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm
post #38 of 97

another one that always makes me giggle with glee is when people say "you should be on one of those food network challenges"...i'm always thinking in the back of my mind "yeah right, cc people would laugh at that one!), but hopefully, one day.......

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #39 of 97

My favorite thing is when my oldest son catches me watching a cake challenge on tv and says "Geez, you could make that a lot better than HER, Mom!!"

My second favorite thing is when any of the cakes in my photos gets put into someone's favorites. Just knowing someone wants to save my picture to look at more than once is extremely flattering, given the huge amount of talented people on this site!

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #40 of 97

I had someone say "I'm not much of a 'cake person', but this cake is delicious!" There's nothing sadder than cutting into a awesome looking cake and havng it taste dry and crumbly. I always feel that if I have the taste down, I can always improve on my decorating skills.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #41 of 97

This cake was made for a new branch manager at the bank I used to work at. He had been with us for 2 months, but once a week, he would go out and buy us all M&Ms. We would look forward to our chocolate fix. So when I saw his birthday was coming up, I decided to run with the M&M theme. I brought this in and his eyes litterally misted over when he realized I made this for him. He guarded it like a bulldog until his wife could come take a picture. I was pretty impressed that this cake actually looked this good ( It was my first time using fondant for the features on a cake.) and I was completely floored by his reaction.

*Missing from this picture are the letters of his name. I cut them out of fondant, and they were drying when I took the picture. I stuck the letters together and leaned them against the M&M's hands.
LL

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #42 of 97

I used my grandparents' house when I made my sister's wedding cake(s) last month; I live 6 hours away and they have a ton of space and super cold air conditioning.
Now, my grandpa is a product of the Depression and, like many people who lived through that time, he's extremely frugal. Cheap, some might say. He doesn't spend a dime unless he has no other choice. Yeah, like that. icon_smile.gif As I was working on the cakes he kept hovering nearby taking about a million photos and asking questions. When I was nearly done, he asked "So how much would everything cost if she bought these from a store?" The whole spread was a 14-10-6 and three 10" torted rounds.
I did some mental math and prepared myself for the price rant that was sure to ensue, and said "Umm, about $500. This is enough for 200 people or so." Grandpa just nodded for a moment, then said "Well, that's a lot of money, but I guess I can see why. I had no idea these things are so much work!" Coming from someone who complains at the cost of McDonalds, I was floating for the rest of the day!

Now, a month later, my mom just told me earlier this week: "Everyone's still talking about the cakes, you know," and went on to list a a bunch of relatives who she'd talked to in recent weeks, all praising the taste and appearance. This was my first tiered cake, and it most certainly wasn't perfect, so hearing all these compliments really did a lot for my cake-confidence. icon_biggrin.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #43 of 97

I had my kids with me one time when I was applying for one of those credit cards at a childrens clothing store a few weeks ago.

I was filling out the application, and out of habit I wrote the abbreviation SAHM under "occupation". The woman asked me what that was, and before I could say it, my son proudly says to her, "My mom is a cake decorator, and S-A-H-M means So Awesome and Home Made!"

Gosh, I love that kid!!!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #44 of 97

abslu, that is amazing...do u mind sharing how u created that?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #45 of 97

I love all compliments! When a co-worker or friend talks about it and how good it was or makes a comment that I should go into business, ), it makes me feel great!

But I think my favorite is my hubby. My best friend lives next door to me (when been friends since we were 6 yrs old) and my parents live down the street. When I am working on an unusual cake, like the Noah's Ark or the clown cake in my pix, my hubby went and got my BF and my parents to come see the cake. The clown cake was from class and it was just a practice cake but hubby wouldn't let me tear it down. By the time he finally conceded, the cake inside was getting quite moldy and yucky. icon_lol.gif

Also, a coworker takes a picture of every cake I bring in and sends it to her hubby. It cracks me up but I am quite pleased. I don't have pix posted of those yet - I'm behind.

mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #46 of 97

my 13 yr old neice took my cake photos that i have posted on myspace, and made their own album in her myspace page...when you get appreciated by an ultracool 13 year old, you've made it, in my book!!!!!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #47 of 97

I'm a newbie to cakes and I donated a "gift certificate" for a sculpted cake as a fundraiser for the church. It went for a lot of money - I don't know how much exactly, but people I didn't know were coming up to me to say how awesome they were and the directors said "it was the one thing everybody wanted."

ETA: There were pictures of past cakes they showed during the auction. That's what everyone based their comments (and their bids) off of. The lady that won is using it for a Christmas family gathering at the end of this year.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #48 of 97

What a cool thread. I have 2 to share.

First- I made a carousel cake for a competition. I didnt win, or even place, but I was ok with that because the competition was tough. As I was walking out Collette Peters and Norm Davis were chatting by his booth and as I walked by, Norm put his hand up in mid sentence and told Collette to hold on a second and then came over to me and said "I just want to tell you that that is one beautiful carousel. " Collette said "Yeah, you did a great job, its beautiful."- It was better than any ribbon to me.

The second was a few weeks ago when I made a horse cake for a 6 year old. She saw a few of my cakes months ago and asked her mom to have me make her cake. Months went by and she forgot about it but her mom didnt and she called me. When I arrived with the cake, she came around the corner and she saw me and this HUGE smile lit up her face. When I turned the cake so she could see it she took in this huge breath and with this amazing little voice, almost like she couldnt speak, she said "Oh its just brilliant." I dont hear the words brilliant often, especially from a 6 year old, but it just sticks with me.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #49 of 97

For me it was about my first and only wedding cake. As I was still serving it to the guests, an elderly man came up to me and said he was a professional baker his entire life and that my cake was the BEST he had ever tasted! He said he wife would never eat any wedding cake because no one could compare to him, but he wanted her to try it, so she did. She loved it as well. I really almost started to cry!

This is a great thread!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. One guest (same wedding) had some of the groom's cake the night before at the rehearsal dinner. He came up to me and said "If I thought you could stand my wife's cooking, I'd take you home with me!" icon_lol.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #50 of 97

For me it was the $160 tip that I got!!! I made a cake for a friend, he was hosting a bachelor party, and the guys were already drunk when I got there with the cake.

I am not sure if he meant to give me that much, but he hasnt ever said another word about it, except to thank me over and over for such an awesome cake. I way undercharged him for it, cause it was a friend cake, and he knew that.

The drunks were poking the cake, and saying is this for real a cake?? Its so awesome, kinda stuff...Made me leave with a big grin and tears in my eyes...

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #51 of 97

I did my first 2 tier cake for a friends 40th birthday. I had to drive 2 hours in august and then keep it in the cooler for 3 hours and then assemble it on the bed so it would be a surprise.

After the candles were blown out, a little girl said "that the best cake ever made by a real person"

I was thrilled

osorio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osorio Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #52 of 97

I made a gingerbread house (it was december) for my best friend 20 th wedding aniversary. She and her husband were so happy with the house that every guest that arrived to the party they showed them the house and they put them in a place so everyone could see it and then after the party they put the house like in a glass case they have their dinning room so they could see it all year long.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #53 of 97

Two things have happened recently that I am just thrilled about... first was a little girl that wanted a 'VICKI' cake for her birthday.... she loved it so much, she made an 8X10 picture of it on her computer, which she turned into a thank you card and gave it to me... IT is the Pastel "horse stable" in my photos......

The second one was my last wedding cake.... I tried sooo hard on it, and Indydebi helped me every step of the way ..... THANK YOU again, Debi ! Anyway someone at the reception was eating a piece of cake and was overheard saying...... "OH! I KNOW this cake..... Vicki made it,didn't she!?" I've made a couple of cakes for her in the past...... I feel FAMOUS !! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #54 of 97

Oh Wow...complements..were can I start..I think just the mere fact of someone leaving me a coment here lights my face up.. Seeing a student getting something after trying a few times is an awesome feeling. And when people see a cake and they don't know that's really a cake..well..that's the best complement!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #55 of 97

What comment doesn't make me happy? icon_biggrin.gif

~This past weekend, DH announced that I had to make my BIL a birthday cake and the party was in an HOUR! So I had a cake in the freezer (thankfully!) and I made him a little baseball cake. He hid it in the fridge so no one would eat it. He refused to cut into it when DH asked for a piece. It was the lamest cake, but he loved it. I heard he didn't share it with anyone haha.

~I also loved when a CC'er PM'd me asking me how I made my Marge Simpson cake! Someone asking ME how to make a cake, how cool is that? icon_cool.gif

~I also have a Facebook. I have an album for my cakes on there too. People I'm not close to or who I haven't spoken to in years message me, or leave me comments, on how great my cakes look.

~This past weekend, I also made a cake for my friend's son. It's the second cake I've made for her and her DH told me when I got there, "You know you have to make all our cakes from now on, right?" My friend is already talking about what she wants for her baby shower and her son's 3rd birthday in March!

~I made my cousin's confirmation/birthday cake (they fell on the same day) and took it to the restaurant we were celebrating. Our waitress was so impressed. She couldn't believe it was a cake.

I'm glad this thread was started. It's nice to see a happy thread! thumbs_up.gif

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #56 of 97

I have to share...im a super newbie but I LOVE cakes and decorating.

My boyfriend of 3 years is very athletic as well as his family and i never have much to talk about with them because i prefer cakes to sports haha but recently i made my corona cake for our friend and now my bf wont stop talking about my cakes to his parents and family....i feel like he is really proud of me...it means a lot

I also love that not many people my age do this sort of thing and so the reaction of my friends and that they say they all want me to do their birthday cakes is aBIG ego boost!
THANKS CC!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:47am
post #57 of 97

Couple more "warm fuzzy feeling" moments:

A lady that ALWAYS makes her kids' cakes, called me to make a cake for her son as she didn't have the time to do it. Made it, delivered it, mom loved it, son loved it. When the lady brought the cake out to the party, a lady that orders from me stood up and said "Pam made that cake. I would know her cakes anywhere!"

Also, I had a cake order from a couple that just moved from Las Vegas. A friend had given her my name and she ordered a cake for her husband with a skull on it--can't remember exactly what it was. When I delivered it, the husband came up, looked at it and the wife said "do you like it?" He said (and I quote) "F***ing A, that's awesome."

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #58 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbain

My boyfriend of 3 years is very athletic as well as his family and i never have much to talk about with them because i prefer cakes to sports haha but recently i made my corona cake for our friend and now my bf wont stop talking about my cakes to his parents and family....i feel like he is really proud of me...it means a lot

I also love that not many people my age do this sort of thing and so the reaction of my friends and that they say they all want me to do their birthday cakes is aBIG ego boost!
THANKS CC!!

That's how I feel too. I'm 22 so it's great that all my friends want me to make their cakes. And my DH ALWAYS tells his friends I will do their cakes (usually without asking me, but it's okay, he's cute icon_lol.gif ) and how good I am. He also takes pics of them with his cell phone camera so he can text them to all his friends.

Swede-cakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #59 of 97

Good Morning Everybody!

It's been about 24 hours since my OP, and I'm back with a freshly brewed Cup o' Joe!

I've read all your posts, and these stories show so much pride and happiness, I smile when I read them!

Whether Newbie or Seasoned decorator, we all have moments when someone has made us feel like a superstar because they appreciate what we've done for them. We are all different from one another, yet we're here because we love the same thing...CAKE and the creation of it.

Thank you for telling us what your proudest moment was, or the compliment that made your heart swell with pride.

Have a great morning!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:36pm
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbain

THANKS CC!!

That's how I feel too. I'm 22 so it's great that all my friends want me to make their cakes. And my DH ALWAYS tells his friends I will do their cakes (usually without asking me, but it's okay, he's cute icon_lol.gif ) and how good I am. He also takes pics of them with his cell phone camera so he can text them to all his friends.

My DH does this too...takes pictures with his phone so he can send them to his friends and he passes out my business cards to EVERYONE he meets!! He is such a good salesman...and he always says how I can make pretty much anything into cake...lol, give me some pretty big shoes to fill but, oh well I love it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%