I Need A Little Help. I Am Making A Cake For A Friend.pleas

Decorating By Bakerprincess Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm by rwarhank

Bakerprincess Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #1 of 12

I am making a friend of mine a birthday cake. She sent me a pic of the one that she wants. (seen bellow) There are somethings i need help with though.

1. How do i get the tiers to tilt like that? wouldn't they slip and slid if you cut the cake to do that?

2. Is the bow gum paste of fondant?

3. What about the starts? Gum paste of fondant?

4. How do i get the middle layer marble with the white and pink like that with fondant.

5. The dots around the bottom of each layer, how do i get them round like that?

This is going to be the first tier cake that i will be doing. And the first time that I work with fondant on a cake, so i might come up with more.

Thank you everyone!

11 replies
summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 12

There are some really great directions here on CC-I think you can look it up under articles.

The marbeling on the one tier-take some pink and some white and knead it together a little. It will look marbeled.

The bow is gumpaste, or at least fondant with tylose.

The stars can be either. But trying heating the wire with a flame (like a candle flame) before sliding them on. It will make the fondant stick onto the wire.

I think it is great trying something new! But...you seem very new, and I would suggest just doing a regular "flat" cake for your first time. It will still look awesome! I would be better to skip that detail than to have a disaster...I hope that didn't offend you, I'm just trying to help!

For the beads, just cut a rope of fondant into equal pieces and roll them with your hands.

summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 12

When I said flat cake, I meant a tiered cake that was non topsy turvy. HTH!

step0nmi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 12

oh wow! That is a large undertaking of a cake!

depending on how well you want your accessories to dry...I would do the stars in gumpaste...you can do these many days in advance.

and you could also do the bow in gumpaste...I like to do those with 50/50 gumpaste/fondant...it makes it a little easier to work with

and then for marbling the middle tier you would just make half pink and then white and basically twist it until you get the desired effect you want.

to get the cakes crooked... I JUST did this the other day...I did a 3 layer cake and then that top layer of that tier I just sliced at an angel. you will have to make sure to use dowels to get the cake to not slide off...so, your regular support dowels and then a dowel to go all the way through.

PM me if you'd like some more help icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #5 of 12

That's a lot of questions icon_biggrin.gif

1.The tilted look is an illusion. I've never made a cake like that but I've seen a good tutorial for it. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71115&pid=969488&st=0entry969488

2.The bow could be fondant, gumpaste, or a mix of the two. I'm lazy and if I were making it I would probably use fondant with some gum-tex kneaded in. I've made bows out of just plain fondant though.

3.The stars can be either, also. I have made them out of fondant and they work just fine. You need to flip them over after the first day so that the bottoms can dry. The wires (that would probably be your next question icon_biggrin.gif ) are just floral wire. You can put the wires into coffee stirs and put the coffee stirs into the cake, so you don't have wire touching the cake itself.

4.To marble fondant, take the two colors and roll them into long snake-shapes. Then twist them together, fold them over, and roll them into one snake shape, then roll out. The more you mess with it, the more the colors will blend. If you do it too much, you'll end up with just a blend of the two colors, not a marbled effect.

5.To make the dots around the borders, you just roll small balls of fondant by hand. If you use bigger balls on the shorter sides of the cake, it will add to the illusion.

kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerprincess

I am making a friend of mine a birthday cake. She sent me a pic of the one that she wants. (seen bellow) There are somethings i need help with though.

1. How do i get the tiers to tilt like that? wouldn't they slip and slid if you cut the cake to do that?

2. Is the bow gum paste of fondant?

3. What about the starts? Gum paste of fondant?

4. How do i get the middle layer marble with the white and pink like that with fondant.

5. The dots around the bottom of each layer, how do i get them round like that?

This is going to be the first tier cake that i will be doing. And the first time that I work with fondant on a cake, so i might come up with more.

1. Here are instructions for making a topsy-turvy cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

2. The bow is likely gumpaste or a mixture of gumpaste and fondant.

3. Ditto for the stars, although fondant would work just fine.

4. Marblizing fondant is achieved by kneading two (or three) different batches of colored fondant together until the desired appearance is achieved.

5. The balls of fondant on the borders are just hand-rolled balls of fondant in different sizes.

To be honest, hon, if it were my first tiered cake, and first time working with fondant, if I were you I would ask your friend to pick another design - unless you have time to make a practice cake (or two!) first to get the hang of the fondant and topsy-turvy construction.

If you do decide to go for it, we'll be here for you every step of the way. icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #7 of 12

1. there is a good article here on topsy turvy cakes. Colette peter's though, just stacks them and dowles the hll out of them. If this is your first cake, I would not try to stack a mad hatter style, but taper down to a smaller size on the bottom of each tier for your whimsical look, and keep it flat.
2. The bow isdefinitely fondant, maybe with some gumpaste in it....looks awfully drapey though
3.The stars look to be on floral wire and made of fondant too.
4. And just roll them in your hand, the dots. Don't worry about size with this whimsical stuff.

Final tip....go with the IDEA of this cake, not a copy. Get the feel of it with your own touch. Advice: Don't copy it exactly........................

good luck!!!

summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #8 of 12

Hehe We all said the same exact things. Lol

margaretb Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:30am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

For the beads, just cut a rope of fondant into equal pieces and roll them with your hands.

I actually have to do this tomorrow, and I never would have thought to roll out a rope first. I've been dreading it, but now I think it is doable.

Thanks!

summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 12

Sure! The beads are super easy. Just time consuming. When I am doing cakes for friends or family, that is the part I let my 4 year old (with clean and washed hands!!!!) help me with.

ccr03 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 12

summernoelle it's good to know that I'm not the only one breaking child-labor laws!! I also have my 4-year-old niece help me on this!! icon_smile.gif

rwarhank Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

it's good to know that I'm not the only one breaking child-labor laws!! I also have my 4-year-old niece help me on this!!

I don't think you break the child labor laws unless you pay them money. Marshmellows, fondant balls, licking the spatula don't count

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%