Dragees-Am I Missing Something?!

Decorating By tjsmommy Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm by ceshell

tjsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjsmommy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 40

So back in May, I finally find dragees again, after years of looking.I used some on my daughter's birthday cake, & I have alot left over.I bought them from a local cake supply store.Anyway, I've been wondering since I bought them if something changed with them or something, because I remember vividly my family & I eating them when I was younger, but now, on the container, it says 'Not Edible'.I'm so confused.Were we not supposed to be eating them all along, or did something change? icon_confused.gif

39 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 40

Hhhhmmmmmm......the ones that I've used are edible....who's the manufacturer?

tjsmommy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Hhhhmmmmmm......the ones that I've used are edible....who's the manufacturer?

I wish I knew, lol...this store just repackages stuff in a plain plastic cup...it does name the ingredients, though.

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 40

I think you're just not supposed to eat the metalic ones.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 40

I know in the past (many years ago) we ate them--this was before all the STRINGENT FDA stuff. If I remember there was a big stink about the metallic factor(?) that might have been in them.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #6 of 40

Man, I used to eat silver dragees by the handful! My mom always had sprinkles and jimmies and dragees in the pantry for cookies. Even Betty Crocker sold dragees.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:31am
post #7 of 40

Yep, it's the metalic coating on them that makes them inedible.
Actually if you were to look at the lable of even the older ones you would see it says something to the effect: For decorations only - not to be eaten.

Michelle104 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 40

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Little late for this post b/c my computer was down after a storm!! I just bought some dragees last month and my kids were eating them like CRAZY!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif They're silver!!! What does that mean?? Why no metallic?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

tjsmommy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:47am
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Little late for this post b/c my computer was down after a storm!! I just bought some dragees last month and my kids were eating them like CRAZY!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif They're silver!!! What does that mean?? Why no metallic?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I'm sure the kids will be fine, don't worry thumbs_up.gif I ate a good bit of the silver ones when I was a child.I was just pretty confused when I saw the label...I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to alarm anyone icon_sad.gif

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #10 of 40

I read that they are illegal here in Calif. but I did find them once in a store last year. (Don't ask me the name! he he)

Seems dumb to me, but if you order off the Internet, they won't ship to Calif.

Melissa

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:04am
post #11 of 40

I think it's because of the aluminum factor. The ones sold here in Ohio say "for decoration only" and have aluminum silicate in them.

If you factor in the aluminum pans, the aluminum baking powder, and then dragees, you get quite a bit of metal. If cake is not your main choice of sustenance, I think you'll be ok.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #12 of 40

From Wiki

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers the metallic-finish dragées to be inedible. Early in the 20th century, the silver finish may have contained mercury (it does not now). The sale of these dragées was banned for some time. Although the metallic-finish dragées can be purchased in 49 U.S. states, in California, they are no longer sold due to a 2003 lawsuit against several sellers. Now, these dragées are sold with a notice that they are for decorative purposes only. However in other countries (including the United Kingdom) they are classed as food items.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:06am
post #13 of 40

They are sold in CA, just shops are afraid of lawsuits, so they are harder to find.

tjsmommy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezformom

I read that they are illegal here in Calif. but I did find them once in a store last year. (Don't ask me the name! he he)

Seems dumb to me, but if you order off the Internet, they won't ship to Calif.

Melissa

They're illegal there?????For real?!!! icon_eek.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #15 of 40

Those are the little silver beads, right. I have seen them in our local cake store.....we always ate them as kids. and I turned out OK.......(well that's a matter of opinion as my kids say......lol.....)

Other than breaking a tooth I don't think the amount of silver, gold or what ever is going to hurt you.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #16 of 40

Dragees are illegal in California because some lawmaker in San Francisco decided that dragees would kill us all. I ate them as a child and I'm not dead yet. It's the sort of thing that didn't seem to need to be regulated. Cigarettes are OK, but steer clear of those dragees!!! Here's an article about it if you're interested: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #17 of 40

I bought some dragees at the local cake supply store a few months ago. Another woman in the store was throwing a hissy fit because the package said they were for decorative purposes only. The store owner told her that because of the silver, they really weren't considered edible but you can certainly eat them. Just don't make a meal out of them. He said that you won't find them in grocery stores anymore.The cake supply store sells silver, gold, and other metallic color dragees. I purchased a bag of the silver dragees (there's a lot in a bag!) and the other woman watched in horror. I think she was waiting for me to sprout a tail just because I touched the bag.

Anyway . . . I ate them as a child and most people consider me to be normal. icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #18 of 40

As has been said, it's the metallic coating that can stay in the body for yrs and yrs. It also is cumulative so over the yrs the more you eat the more it builds up in your body. The body does NOT elimate it ever.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #19 of 40

Lots of opinions here...lol....everything in moderation perhaps..?????

I use them on my cakes, when needed....but I tell the consumer they are not edible....the the whole conversation starts about..."...geez, I ate those when I was a kid..."
icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #20 of 40

Eat em, you'll live. The exhaust from the car you drove to the store to get em is much worse.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #21 of 40

Yeah, yeah, and apple seeds contain arsenic. How many have I eaten/swallowed while growing up?! So much for the apple a day thing. The next law they pass will make it illegal to sell apples because they have the potential to poison us icon_lol.gif I agree. Everything in moderation-except cake. That's good for you. Eat lots of it icon_biggrin.gif

ETA: Pardon me, cyanide. icon_lol.gif That's better. I was always told arsenic icon_wink.gif Cyanide, arsenic, metal poisoning from silver edible balls... icon_confused.gif

Heck, you gotta die from something!! icon_lol.gif

Michelle104 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmommy

I'm sure the kids will be fine, don't worry thumbs_up.gif I ate a good bit of the silver ones when I was a child.I was just pretty confused when I saw the label...I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to alarm anyone icon_sad.gif

No Alarm here! It just amazes me the things that go on right under my nose and I don't even know it! LOL!! No need to be sorry either! icon_lol.gif I guess I do learn somethin new everyday!! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #23 of 40

icon_cry.gif
I too was a childhood dragee eater icon_redface.gif
I'm not sure I can look my family in the face any more , I'm so embarrased icon_redface.gif
Dr. Phil says you can't fix what you don't acknowledge, maybe I'm on the road to recovery icon_surprised.gif
Thanks for listening icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jibbies

littlesusie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesusie Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #24 of 40

Y'all, I used to live in CA where they are "illegal," I didn't know that they were illegal until I went to purchase them and was told the situation. After browsing around the store awhile the owner approached me and whispered under his breath, "I have the dragees...follow me to the back of the store." HAHAHAAAA! I felt like I was trying to make a drug deal or purchase contraban...too funny...

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #25 of 40

icon_lol.gif So are men in CA walking around in trenchcoats, opening them wide and going "Psst! Hey lady! Wanna buy some dragees? Genuine and cheap!"

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #26 of 40

I'm pushing 50. I've been eating dragees since I was a kid. Not by the fists full - but I've been eating them. I'm not setting off scanners at the airport yet, so I'm not going to sweat it - I'll continue to eat a couple dragees every month or so.

littlesusie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesusie Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #27 of 40

Tootall, that's pretty much what it felt like! It's as if they are "smuggling them in" from other states! Heheeeee...

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

icon_lol.gif So are men in CA walking around in trenchcoats, opening them wide and going "Psst! Hey lady! Wanna buy some dragees? Genuine and cheap!"

Hahahaha..........that's too funny!!

Michelle104 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

Hahahaha..........that's too funny!!

I'm just crackin up!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Who would've thought that so much thought and attention would be put into something like that??? icon_confused.gif I'm thinkin they need to eat a little more cake!! thumbs_up.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:14pm
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesusie

Y'all, I used to live in CA where they are "illegal," I didn't know that they were illegal until I went to purchase them and was told the situation. After browsing around the store awhile the owner approached me and whispered under his breath, "I have the dragees...follow me to the back of the store." HAHAHAAAA! I felt like I was trying to make a drug deal or purchase contraban...too funny...

Okay, this made me laugh out loud!! I too was a childhood dragee eater, icon_lol.gif. My mother and grandmother would decorate Christmas cookies with them. Shilling sold them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%