Torting A 9X13 Cake?

Decorating By DyMakesCake Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 5:24am by Cake_Princess

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 9

After lurking for several weeks I have decided to make a post.

Is there an easy way to torte a 9x13 cake and add a filling? I have googled to my hearts content and can't find anything. Could I just slice the cake down the middle and then torte those 2 pieces and then put the whole cake back together?

Or is it really that difficult to torte the whole thing at once?

I have fallen in love with this website. There are so many talented people here and I am looking forward to learning lots.

Thanks!!

8 replies
IdolizedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IdolizedCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:15am
post #2 of 9

I usually just wrap a cake board with wax paper , then cut the cake , and lift top layer at the edge with a spatula very carefully and slide the board underneath then torte and sljide back on. then you can take the wax paper off your board and use it next time !

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 9

Welcome! if you're not comfortable torting a cake of this size in one piece you can cut it in half first then put it together again

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

I torted my first 9x13" cake this weekend. It wasn't bad at all. I jut used a 10x14" cake board to slide between the layers to lift it up. trying to flip it over to be on top didn't work, but sliding it off the board gently went just fine. And the cake is yummy!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 9

Welcome to CC
Torting a cake this size is easy. Go ahead and put it on the presentation board you will use. I use the wilton large leveler adjust it so the blade comes as close to the middle of the cake as possible. Very carefully and slowly with a slight sawing motion bring the blade toward you once you have gone the length of the cake, slide an uncovered cake board uner the top piece lift it off make sure you mark it so you can put it back exactly the way it came (dot of icing on corresponding sides of both pieces) I put a very thin layer of buttercream on the bottom piece then an icing dam around the perimeter I do this with a bag filled but no tip or coupler, then I put the filling slide the top back on and you have just torted and filled a cake!
Hope this helps

Jibbies

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

Flexible cutting boards can be really helpful, too. Just slide the board between the layers after cutting and lift. Then, after filling, gently slide the top layer onto the bottom.

Sometimes, if the cake is a sturdy recipe, it is easier to just lift it off of the board and place on top of the filling.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 9

I torte and fill all my 11x15's and 12x18's. Like other members have said, I use a sheet cardboard to remove the top layer. I create a damn with frosting and then add my filling. I then carefully take the top layer on the cardboard and slowly slide it off back on to the bottom layer. You have to be careful not to drag the cardboard through the icing and filling as you pull back on the board while sliding off the top layer. It gets easier with practice.

If you don't cover the sheet cardboard with a wax paper, be careful how long you let the top tier remain on the cardboard. It will be difficult to slide if off. Just a little note from personal experience. icon_rolleyes.gif

Amy

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #8 of 9

I also use the plastic cutting boards but if you want to play it safe just divide your batter in two pans and just stalk them together, it's a good start until you feel comfortable to torte. Good Luck and welcome to CC. icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyMakesCake

After lurking for several weeks I have decided to make a post.

Is there an easy way to torte a 9x13 cake and add a filling? I have googled to my hearts content and can't find anything. Could I just slice the cake down the middle and then torte those 2 pieces and then put the whole cake back together?

Or is it really that difficult to torte the whole thing at once?

I have fallen in love with this website. There are so many talented people here and I am looking forward to learning lots.

Thanks!!

9x13 is a pretty easy size to manage. If you are not comfortable torting that size yet you can partially freeze the cake so it's a bit easier to work with.

Now if you are going to be using a cake board sprinkle it with a bit of icing sugar or cocoa powder to prevent the cake from sticking to the board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%