Last Minute Questions===Attaching Seashells

Decorating By Crystal74 Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 7:36am by Crystal74

Crystal74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal74 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I have a 4 tiered square cake due for Saturday. The venue is about 10min. away. I'm using the SPS system for the first time. Still debating on where to assemble the cake and I need advice from all of you "pros". I'm terrified about stacking it at home---was thinking of taking it in two pieces. Please give me some good advice, I'm desperate here!!!!

Also, cake is going to have seashells scattered on it. I have the molds. I'm assuming that I just melt the candies, pour them into the molds, and let them harden--- or do I put in fridge? Can I paint them with luster dust after they harden or should I put it in with the melted candy? How do I attach them to the cake? Will buttercream work or do I need to use royal icing?

Ok guys, I think that about covers it. Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Crystal

5 replies
cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:01am
post #2 of 6

I don't have any experience with the SPS system, so no advice there. I have made a seashell cake though, and with the shells I made with candy melts, the luster dust didn't stick to them well, especially when I mixed it with extract, it seemed to just bead up on the surface of the candy. I didn't have time to change things though so I just dusted it on dry and made do, but the colors weren't very distinct. I had also made some with gumpaste, just pressing them into the molds (dust the molds with cornstarch first to keep from sticking), removing and then let them dry for a couple days. Those came out really well once they were dried and I painted them with luster dusts, they look really realistic. They are kind of heavy though so they have to sit around the base of tiers or on top, depending on how big your molds are, I guess. So I just used buttercream to help them stand up and kind of stick to the sides, but they were sitting onthe cake partly to be supported. I hope that made sense. I haven't ever mixed dusts in with the candy before, I don't know how that works, but would love to know. Good luck.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #3 of 6

SPS is fabulous!!!!! I used it on a 3 tiered cake this past weekend about 25 mins away and it never, ever wavered. I put gumpaste butterflies on this cake and the only thing I used that would actually keep them on was piping gel.

Best of luck to you.

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

You should dust your molds with luster dust, then pour in the chocolate. Attach your pieces with the buttercream. Royal icing hates fat...you wouldn't want your pieces to fall off because the RI started 'rejecting' your pieces. Hope that helps...good luck with the transport!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6

I usually set my cakes up at the venue, i think it saves lots of headaches and worries. As far as seashells go, here is a cake I did with seashells made with the molds and then dusted with luster dust. I made sure they were dry and room temp and I wore candy making white gloves and just brushed it on in several coats.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1065623.html
Hope this helps

Jibbies

Crystal74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal74 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:36am
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys so much. I'm going to try dusting the molds first and see how it works out. I'm still not sure if I'm going to assemble beforehand or not. I'll be sure to post pictures icon_smile.gif

Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%