Askin My Cc Friends To Help Me Out.

Lounge By alracntna Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm by alracntna

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 8

an old friend of mine contacted me and said her mother-in-law has cancer and has recently lost her job and health ins. they are holding a fund raiser for her and she wanted to know if i would donate a cake for the fund raiser. i told her i would so i want to make something eloquent, simple but not wedding cakeish (is that a word). i don't want to do something with to much detail, after all it is for free. my DH and i were talking about a topsy turvy. i am looking for pics to go by but i would love to get yalls input. thanks!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #2 of 8

If you are donating an actual cake, rather than a certificate for a cake, I would donate something that looked delicious, rather than something fancy. Depending on the 'audience' they might be hesitant to bid on something extravagant, but certainly would recognize a good old fashioned layer cake, coconut or chocolate come to mind.

alracntna Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 8

i was thinking a little of both... i wanted to do a topsy turvy cake iced in white bc then drizzled with chocolate ganache. what do you think?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #4 of 8

I think it would be OK, provided you keep it fairly small, maybe a 9" and a 6" ? That is just my opinion.

I have no idea the financial status of the average person attending, and that could make a difference.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:38am
post #5 of 8

Oh, I think JoAnnB is right on the mark. If you made a beautiful 7 layer chocolate cake with chocolate ganache dripping down the sides, you would have EVERYONE wanting that cake!

Just my .02 cents.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:57am
post #6 of 8

I would think of this affair as a bake sale type thing. Most of the people attending will want something on the small side. Why not make 2 or 3 6" cakes? Say one 2 layer and 2 single layer ones. OR a 6" single layer and an 8", 9", or 10" one. I think if you make it elegant w/choco drips (especially the tall one) you/they will get much better results.
You could also bake a cake in the doll skirt pan and turn it over (on the small end as the bottom; wide end the top; this will cause the cake to settle somewhat lopesided) so it will look 'topsy' so you can still make that style w/o making a big cake that might be hard for someone to transport.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #7 of 8

For a fund raiser, I made an 8" 2 layer chocolate cake with basket weave and then chocolate covered strawberries on the top. People seem to feel like they are getting 2 for 1. The youth group that I made it for asked for another one for this year since last years cake was bought for $100.
I hope the fund raiser is very successful. thumbs_up.gif

alracntna Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

thank you for all the good info. i cant wait now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%