Tracing A Pattern

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 12:43am by janelwaters

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 4

There is a pattern/design of scrolls that I would like to put on a wedding cake this weekend. It is pictured in the patterns category on this site. But I was wondering, is there an easy way to out line this on my cake so that i can just go over it with piping? I might be able to do it by eye, but I would rather cheat! hehe!

3 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 4

what is the base of your cake (buttercream or fondant)? If you are doing fondant you can use the pin prick method - it doesn't seem to work for me on buttercream.

For a buttercream cake - I would pipe it on the paper in royal icing and then press the RI into the side of the cake - it leaves a perfect impression for you to pipe over. (this is what I did to put Hannah Montana on the HM guitar cake that I did).

OR - if you have sugar veil you can use that and let it dry a little then pick it up and place it on the cake whether bc or fondant. HTH

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 4

The cake is going to be buttercream.
What is sugar veil? I have not heard of that.

I have heard of the pin thing, but never tried it.
Thanks for the advice!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

go to sugarveil.com - its a different type of icing that dries flexible before drying completly like royal icing. Its erally cool stuff - you do not have to get the "air pen" - you can just get the 1lb bag (I do recommend the DVD) and use regular piping bags and tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%