What's Your Favorite New Cake Toy?

Decorating By bambuf Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm by bambuf

bambuf Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 15

My husband bought this cool pizza/pastry cutter for me recently, and I LOVE it! It makes cutting even strips of fondant SOOOO easy! Just thought I would share it with those of you who may not have seen one of these bad boys yet. What is YOUR favorite new cake toy?
LL

14 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 15

where did you find that?

lizamlin Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 15

My NEW fondant mat *** I just tried a new idea: a fabric store cutting board for quilting, along with the rotary cutter.
W O W. Too incredible! Fiskars 24" x 36" (non folding, so completely smooth) is large enough for any of my home cake needs and the rotary cutter - omg what a dif from my fondant tools or even pizza cutter - cuts were razor accurate and no fuzzies left behind. Grids mark the entire sheet so you know *exactly* how large your piece is.I thoroughly washed, then bleach wiped it first. It is not flexible like the mats you're considering, but I like that, actually. I figure I can roll up the large pieces on my long rolling pin anyway, and I like that it's so stable. I placed two sticky shelf liner things under it to keep it from sliding on my table.

It did a great job - I'm so pleased!
I swear, one of my passions is finding unusual things for different purposes - I'm a re-purposing queen LOL

karensue Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 15

I'm with you lizamlin .. in fact, I just bought a second one to use strictly for rolling out fondant. My first one has a few blemishes from cutting on it. I have found that I can use so much less powdered sugar/cornstarch when rolling fondant out than when I roll it out on anything else. I love the grids for cutting strips.

CakeMakar Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 15

My airbrush!

rcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #6 of 15

My pasta roller that fits on my Kitchen Aid!!

bambuf Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 15

roxxxy... My husband found mine at a local Kitchen Supply...

rcs... The pasta roller is my next big investment! icon_smile.gif

varika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 15

What can I say? They're ALL new to me! I just bought a 21" Craftsman toolbox to put it all in--I've got two embroidery tracing wheels (smooth and serrated) and an Xacto knife, clear ruler, and scary bottle of Everclear in there. Among other things.

I keep thinking about getting a set of plastic clay-sculpting tools; they're cheaper than the fondant/gumpaste tools and are fairly similar. Plus plastic is easy to clean.

terrylee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 15

I got a clay extruder. It took me a while to really like it but I have used it for so many different things now. May have to invest in a larger one.....lol...

I too have a Craftsman tool box for all my fondant tools and gadgets and another for all my bags, color, tips and other stuff for bc icing.

littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs

My pasta roller that fits on my Kitchen Aid!!

ohhhhh...i want one!

did ya get it off the internet?

KKC Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #11 of 15

Mine is the Floral Garland Cutter/Ejector Set by Wilton...luuuvvv it!!!

rcs Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:04am
post #12 of 15

Littlecake, I got my pasta roller at Bed, Bath and Beyond. My sister had a 20 or 30% off coupon which made it cheaper than any I had found on the internet. My sister said that they have the coupons in their flyers frequently. (We don't have a Bed, Bath and Beyond where I live. I purchased mine in Omaha, Neb. while visiting her). I REALLY like it!!!!

lizamlin Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #13 of 15

!!! So many cool ideas !! I also have a large toolbox (Wilton don't have nuthin on us lol, clear quilters ruler, etc...

Does anyone have experience w Kitchenaid grinder/pasta maker? Not the roller, but for thin/thick pasta? I'm thinking *perfect* tubes of fondant for detailing/braids??? Anyone?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K116245.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Cooking%20&cm_pla=Kitchen%20Electrics&cm_ite=K116245

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 15

My fav new 'toy' is a lift we put in for the mixer. It gives me back counterspace on the kitchen island and I never have to pick that thing up again!

bambuf Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 15

snowshoe1,

Now that IS a cool toy! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%