Besides The Wedding Cake What Else Do You Provide?

Business By jolmk Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm by DiannaSue

jolmk Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 16

Obviously, if the top tier isn't being served you would provide a box for it. Do you provide more boxes for the left over cake? How would you know how many they are going to need? The reason I'm asking is because I didn't give the bride a box for her cake. All of her cake was to be served, but they didn't even cut one of the smaller side cakes. I guess some people didn't show. Is that my fault? Sorry.... My crystal ball is in the shop right now. If I am wrong please let me know.

Jo

15 replies
countrycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 16

icon_smile.gif I provide a box for the top tier, unless they want to use it for guests...also I provide a nice thank you card on their cake box to thank them again for ordering from me...and also drop the 'little hint' about the Referral Program....thanks Indydebi! thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 16

I don't think that you should have been expected to provide any boxes for left over cake. Most brides do not expect to take home any food from the reception. The caterer does not fill doggy bags of the food that people didn't eat if they are no shows-why would you be expected to supply boxes?
However, that's the way it is in my part of the country, maybe it is different other places.
On the other hand-weren't there any little grandmas at the party that were stuffing the left overs in their purses??? Oh, come on! Everyone has one of those old gals in the family.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #4 of 16

I always deliver my wedding cakes unassembled and each layer boxed. I do not reuse those boxes (they are regular pastry boxes & that just isn't right to me) so I leave them all the boxes I deliver in and they have a box for each layer if needed. This costs me on average an extra $3-6 per delivery, but I figure it's worth it for the good will. Also the boxes all have my label with my business name on them so there is no question where the cake came from. I also leave a cutting chart, list of what needs returned to me hardware-wise and a plastic cake server with my business name and phone number on the handle. I have had a lot of brides tell me how much that appreciate the extra server when there is a groom's cake or several flavors of cake to cut, the fancy little set just doesn't cut it (no pun intended!). Lastly, I leave a box for any major hardware (cake plateaus, etc.) so that they have something to put them in to return them safely to me!
Lori

loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:46am
post #5 of 16

I leave a 8 inch box (they serve the entire cake,but you never know) that is flat, with my lable on it, under the cake table. I also leave any boxes like what the cake topper came in and things like that. I dont usually leave cutting guides unless they request it, because most of my weddings are at country clubs and such and they already know how to cut a cake.

I would love to find out more on this plastic cake server with your name on it! did you order them? I was debating doing this with Oriental trading co they have really cheap "silver" ones, but they looked tacky to me..

kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 16

When I dropped off my first ever paid wedding cake, I was leaving the top tier box with the catering manager, and she looked at me blankly and said "where's the box for the extra cake?" I had to stammer that "this is the only box I brought". From then on, I always left an extra box at the reception - it's something I could do for less than $2 that people always seemed very grateful for. I would also leave a cutting guide, as most of my brides tended to be on-a-budget-do-it-yourselfers using cousins or aunts to do the cake cutting. I would always try to locate this person before leaving the premises and explain the guide to them.

CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 16

I always provide a box for the top tier with freezing/thawing directions, cutting instructions, and I bring some greenery to go aorund the base. To many times I found that brides would have forgotten to arrange anything with their florist, and there would be nothing. A white cake on a white tablecloth just looks so barren and did not make for good pictures. So for my own benefit, I started bringing some leatherleaf with me on all deliveries, just in case. I don't leave any extra boxes unless specifically requested. I don't have boxes large enough for the bigger tiers, and it's hard to predict what leftovers they might have. I've not really run into anyone that really expected me to. A few have asked, but most plan on bringing their own containers to divy it up, or just have the staff wrap it in plastic wrap to get it home.

I like the idea of the plastic server with you biz name on it. I'd like more info on cost and where to get something like that.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 16

I get them from a company called LoTech (found them in the back of a magazine). They were relatively cheap and have 2 lines of printing in my color choice with a little cake logo. They are a white plastic angled cake/pie server style, but they have several varieties. I don't have their contact info handy, but I'm sure you can look them up. I was very impressed with their service.
Lori

iramirez94 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 16

I looked at the website...wow I always wanted to know where to order them from.. ant they are only 57 cents. What a bargin!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
thanks

http://www.lotechsales.com

DEBBIE157 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 16

I haven't done a wedding cake yet, BUT for my wedding, they gave us a box for the top with the name, address, phone of the bakery. The top was 'supposed' to be eaten, but we had some no-shows. (This bakery gives a 'free' topper on your one year anniversary. No freezer burn this way. icon_biggrin.gif Of course the price is worked into the cake price.)

Sounds like the boxes and labels are some nice cheap advertising.

Debbie

3GCakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 16

The venue for my niece's wedding (very busy....many rooms for different sized receptions) had a big roll of plastic wrap and many small paper plates. Each piece of leftover cake was plated and wrapped. Never asked for it...they just did it. No boxes left at the venue, nothing. They even washed up all the "innards" of the cake and bagged them....without asking. I am not sure, but if that is not the standard...it sure would be great if it was!!!

loriemoms Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:12am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

The venue for my niece's wedding (very busy....many rooms for different sized receptions) had a big roll of plastic wrap and many small paper plates. Each piece of leftover cake was plated and wrapped. Never asked for it...they just did it. No boxes left at the venue, nothing. They even washed up all the "innards" of the cake and bagged them....without asking. I am not sure, but if that is not the standard...it sure would be great if it was!!!

I use the SPS system in my cakes and I dont know how many times I have received a call from the MOB or wedding planner asking when they get me back the pieces. I never ask for them back, but many venues automatically clean them up and give them to the family. The plates and plastic wrap though is really cool!

southernbelle Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the tip on the cake servers, Just ordered them plus some little magnets that are so cute. What a great advertisment and reasonable as well thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I would also leave a cutting guide, as most of my brides tended to be on-a-budget-do-it-yourselfers using cousins or aunts to do the cake cutting.

I always get a little proud moment when I have a drop-off cake and I find a print out of my "how to cut a wedding cake" page from my website laying there for the cake-cutters to follow! (sniff! sniff! as she wipes a tear of joy from her eye!).

Hotels and venues are always SO excited to learn there is nothing to return with my drop-off cakes!

loriemoms Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I would also leave a cutting guide, as most of my brides tended to be on-a-budget-do-it-yourselfers using cousins or aunts to do the cake cutting.

I always get a little proud moment when I have a drop-off cake and I find a print out of my "how to cut a wedding cake" page from my website laying there for the cake-cutters to follow! (sniff! sniff! as she wipes a tear of joy from her eye!).

Hotels and venues are always SO excited to learn there is nothing to return with my drop-off cakes!

Start sniffing again...I am dropping off two of them myself today! My do it yourselfers LOVE that guide! Its so much easier then they wilton method...

DiannaSue Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 16

I leave a box with the annniversary cake already put in a box and placed safely under the cake table. I tell this to the bride in advance. ( I do not charge for the anniversary cake cake) This way they do not have to worry about the top layer, they can go ahead and cut it if needed. I tape freezing instructions to the top of the box so they will know the proper way to freeze their cake. I also leave cutting instructions, and I leave boxes in case they have left over cake. Little extra things like this does not cost me much more and the bride seems to appreciate the fact that I go an extra step farther to help make her day. I have had brides tell other brides- to- be that I go an extra step to help them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%