Cracked Fondant

Decorating By taxnerd Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm by tracey1970

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 2

I did a wedding cake for my brother in law this past weekend. I made the cakes ahead of time and frosted them with a layer of buttercream before freezing. Two days before the wedding, I took the cake out of the freezer, thawed it completely and brought it room temperature. The next day, I touched up my buttercream, put the fondant on it, then decorated it before transporting it in my car for 2 hours to get to the out of town wedding the next day.

The bottom tier was a 16" square cake, and after transporting it, it was cracking down the front, where it had previously been smooth. I managed to make it presentable by patching it with buttercream. I used Satin Ice fondant and the cake was not refrigerated after thawing. The fondant got pretty hard and looked like it was going to start cracking on the two smaller tiers as well, but it held together on those.

Is this just something that happened in transport? Did I leave it out at room temperature too long? Should I have worked some Crisco into the fondant as I was rolling it? It seemed fine when I rolled it out, but then it got really, really dry. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

1 reply
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 2

I roll out my Satin Ice on a very thin coating of crisco on the roll-out mat. The fondant peels right off the mat, has a nice sheen to it, and hasn't cracked. Also, be sure you haven't rolled out the fondant too thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%