Concerning "stolen" Photos...how Is This Handled?

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 3:57am by doughdough

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 8

This photo isn't exactly stolen, however while browsing last night through the "Last Uploads" gallery I noticed a photo "by" a user---only thing is, the photo was photoshopped (to eliminate background) straight out of a previous Wilton yearbook (05 or 06, one of the two). It recieved two comments and three favorites! I refrained from commenting the obvious, and figured that it would be more tactful to post here somewhat anonymously.

I won't say the title of the photo or the user but it is ONLY titled, and no where in the description does it say "this is a wilton design, or "not by me... I was somewhat put off by this. It's not that i'm a tattler, I am just perhaps too much of an honest person?

How is this handled?

7 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 8

There is a report this photo button under the picture. Click on that and a moderator will take care of it.

cupcakeco Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 8

Do you reccomend that I do that? I don't want to react too harshly..or is that kind of thing what the button is designed for?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 8

That is what it's designed for. As long as you're sure it is a Wilton pic. Or you could PM the poster and ask them.

cupcakeco Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #5 of 8

I was so sure it was a Wilton pic, I even went to double check on the Wilton site, and sure enough it was, right down to the angle of the shot and the initials on the cake. It was not as though this member attempted to re-create this design--which i would completely understand!
Anywho, I was going to take all of your advice, but if you can believe it, the photo "no longer exists". Either someone else caught this before I did or the OP saw this thread.. icon_redface.gif Just an update I guess.

Just another question: I'm a newbie (sort of) to the site and haven't had much experience in this department. Is this kind of thing (what I've done here, point this out) frowned upon by other CC members??

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #6 of 8

. . . not frowned upon . . . expected . . . it is up to us to police anything we think is "wrong" . . . in this case, report the photo . . . and when you do, you will be asked why you are reporting it, you can explain exactly what you have said here (maybe even link the picture on Wilton's site) . . . then it is up to the moderators/administrators to deal with . . . it is all anonymous and up to them to decide what needs to be done after they have investigated your claim . . .

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #7 of 8

No, that was the right thing to do. As a "family" we do tend to watch out for things like that. Putting someone else's pic on your own website as one that you make is a HUGE no-no. If you ask permission from that person and give that person credit for it, it is usually OK (ALWAYS ASK FIRST) to show as an example.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #8 of 8

My opinion is that you handle situations like that as privately as possible first before "opening up the floodgates" (i.e. posting offenders in the forum). You did the right thing by NOT disclosing the user name or title of the cake.

Cake theft is VERY frowned upon around here, and the quieter and calmer you are at getting the issue solved, the better! Emotions can run pretty high in those situations, and it's best not to stir up a beehive!!

So yes, use the "report" button whenever you stumble upon copied pics.

Welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%