Advice Please - Starting A Small Business

Business By thefrostedcupcake Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm by fondantgirl

thefrostedcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcupcake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Cake Experts,

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to start a small cupcake business out of my home in NJ. By small I mean selling to friends and friends of friends. My vision is to start small out of my kitchen and then grow and develop into a full scale business. But for now I am not sure what the best steps are. How do I begin to research laws? Do I have to register? Even if I am planning on doing this "on the side". I am open to all friendly advice that you have!

Thanks!

4 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

There is a thread at the top of the business thread titled "states that license in home bakeries" or something like that. It has a lot of great information about lots of states. I'd start there. I can't really hep with your regulations since I'm in FL.

thefrostedcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcupcake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!!! That is a start! I appreciate any and all help!

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrostedcupcake

Hello Cake Experts,

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to start a small cupcake business out of my home in NJ. By small I mean selling to friends and friends of friends. My vision is to start small out of my kitchen and then grow and develop into a full scale business. But for now I am not sure what the best steps are. How do I begin to research laws? Do I have to register? Even if I am planning on doing this "on the side". I am open to all friendly advice that you have!

Thanks!

It is against the law to have a food business in your home. The only way to get around that is to have a seperate building on your property, not attached to the house, that is up to code by your township health department. It must be on a property that is under code to be commercial and for your sake residential.

Your kitchen will/must be up to commercial/restaurant standard. You're looking at $40K minimum of construction by certified sorces--assuming you have an empty garage to convert.

It is better to rent a kitchen that has already been inspected BUT it doesn't stop there...you must also speak to the health department in the township you'll be renting from and have them go through the kitchen and inspect while you're there AND you will be asked what your intentions are. If your intentions do NOT comply with the kitchen you are renting (ex: use of an oven requires you to have a commercial vent. system) you will be denied.

It's better to be legitimate than get caught for doing it illegally and never be able to get business.

fondantgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgirl Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

I live in California and I have been decorating cakes for family and close friends but would love to do it as a business. How do I go about renting a kitchen/oven locally? Is there steps I need to follow and what do I need to say to get approved for such a thing? I never really pursued it professionally but would love to. I want to open my own bakery someday that would be awesome! Thanks for any advise or info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%