Football Helmet

Decorating By eiyapet Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm by Badsisliz

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 8

I have been getting a lot of requests for instructions on a steelers helmet I have posted in the gallery, so I am just going to post the instructions here for everyone.
I use 3 10 inch rounds and 1 half ball. Freeze them, stack them and frost between them while frozen and then carve. Crumb coat them and let them thaw completely. Add another coat of BC and let it crust, then do the paper towel technique (or whatever you do to smooth) to smooth it before you add the fondant. The fondant part is tricky since it is sculpted, so donât get too frustrated if you have to do it over. I find it much easier to just airbrush the color than tint all that fondant too, and that is what helps make it shiny For the logo, You can either hand paint it on another piece of fondant or do an edible image on fondant if you have the printer.

the facemask is the hardest part. On the one in the picture I made a wire frame and then covered it with fondant. I have tried to make them completely out of fondant and leave it on a curved surface to dry, but they seldom hold up. Believe it or not I now use brake line. You can buy a small hollow gauge at most auto parts stores, it is easy to cut with snips and bends the way you want it. I solder it together where the lines cross and then spray paint if I need to. It is kind of a pain, but the end result is great. I am thinking of trying modeling chocolate for it next. If you can think of an easier way let me know though!
I am attaching a pic of my helmet, and I would love to see everyone elses!
LL

7 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #2 of 8

Thanks for the instructions...when I made my I kinda just went with what I thought it should look like. Urs look just like a helmet, I'm a bit embarressed to put show u my helmet tapedshut.gif I must admit though, I was an experiment made for my DH on Father's Day and my first time using fondant (what a PITA) but I was ok with it in the end....
LL

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for these instructions! My brother is a HUGE Steelers fan and I would love to make this for him!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 8

Awesome idea for using the brake line!
Mine was made from 6" cakes, but I'm planning a large one for DH's birthday. He is a huge Cowboys fan. Was thinking of serving it with "pom pom" cupcakes.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8

Awesome helmet! How many do you think it fed?

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for this, I just had a bride call wanting a cake for WV for her groom to be... complete surprise to him, he has no idea.. .I am so stoked for this cake and for November icon_smile.gif Any idea on how many the helmet itself feeds?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8

FrostinGal I LOVE your cake (BIG Chargers fan!!!!) I used to live in San Diego. I miss it soooooooooo much!

Badsisliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badsisliz Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for posting these instructions! I will be trying this next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%