Balloon Shaped/idea Cake

Decorating By kewaters Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm by kewaters

kewaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 6

So, first off I just want to say I love this site. I've been a member for a short time, but have learned so much! Thanks to everyone on here!

I am fairly new to the cake world, and have dabbled in fondant a bit. My first 2 cakes weren't too bad, but I definitely had some problems with bulging, stacking, etc. But, I ordered SugarShacks dvd's and they have helped a TON!

I want to make a cake that is either balloon shaped or balloon themed. It is for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk this year. ( I am just having a tough time deciding if I should do the actual cake in a balloon shape, or cover it in red, white and gold (color of the 3 balloons carried at the walk) and just have balloons on the cake.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I tried to search the gallery, but for some reason when I search it adds an extra word into my search and I can't get it figured out. TIA!

5 replies
miny Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:01am
post #2 of 6

Why don't you make a huge hot air ballon (well I don't know how many servings you'll need) but if you do the actual cake a basket with some kids on board and then hold, with fondant covered wire a big ballon on top. Maybe you can get one from the ones they are going to use (usually they have the event name on them) or make a sign or big ribbon out of fondant and "hang it" from the basket like if the kids are holding it, just a thought! icon_smile.gif
P.S. The only time I've work with real ballons was in my curious george cake and it was actually fun.

kewaters Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your post. Sorry I'm just getting has been hectic! Since the Walk uses actual balloons, not hot air balloons, I think it would take away from the symbolism of the balloons we use if it were to incorporate a basket and take on a hot air balloon theme. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I do like the idea of the kids holding onto balloons, so I may take that idea and run with it.

Anyone else have other ideas of a 'balloon' themed cake?

cakequeen50 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 6

If you can come across an egg shaped pan, you can make several and put them nest to each other on the cake board. I have a picture of one somewhere in the deep dark cave of a closet.
The pan is for easter eggs. I used to make all kinds of things out of it, but no call for it now.
Imagine this pic as a balloon..

I just googled easter egg cake pan and got a pic.

jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

At the top of the home page I went to "galleries". When it came up it said "search the images" in the box I typed balloons and 7 pages of balloon themed cakes came up. maybe you could retry your search.

kewaters Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%