Pillsbury Bakers Plus Cake Mix

Business By loriemoms Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 4

I went to my local supply place today to get my hi ratio shortening and such, and we started talking cake mix. She gave me a free 50 lb bag of Pillsbury Bakers Plus Cake mix to try..she said I will love it. It has eggs already in it and you just add water and oil.

Has anyone used a cake mix extender with this stuff? (like WASC etc) Would you leave out the eggs? I am going to try it on its own, but I am not a cake mix type of person. It sure is a lot cheaper !! (even when you pay for it...hahaha)

3 replies
loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:23am
post #2 of 4

I made a 10 inch cake last night just using the straight mix and it had a beautiful crumb and was moist (not as moist as mine) but it just had NO flavor! I would love to try to see if this can be doctored....Anyone? Or should I just keep experiementing?

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

For experimenting you could start with adding the flavored creamers instead of water -- and of course more flavoring.

Was the supply place a chain like GFS? I have a local GFS, but their boxed mixes are no cheaper than the grocery stores and more limited in flavors.

loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaonline

For experimenting you could start with adding the flavored creamers instead of water -- and of course more flavoring.

Was the supply place a chain like GFS? I have a local GFS, but their boxed mixes are no cheaper than the grocery stores and more limited in flavors.

No this was a wholesaler, where I buy my flour, sugar and hi ratio shortening from. This was a 50 lb bag, it runs about 70 dollars for the bag. The box mix at our local walmart is 99 cents. (it is a little over a lb) It is more expensive then going to Walmart to buy cake mix, but I dont need to add eggs to it. So it ends being about the same cost. Also, our walmarts are out of cake mix a lot, and since I am going there anyway to pick up my other supplies, it saves me time running around trying to find cake mix in stock, and the price of gas.

And yes, I have spoke with ALL THREE of our walmarts in our area, trying to get them to order me cake mix. Managers change over so quickly, they often forget, or get the wrong kind or just plan don't know how to do it. Its been a nightmare and I have often just gone back to making cakes from scratch. I am trying to get a baker in to do them or my DH and have found mix easier to train them.

I did the WASC recipe with it, except used half the sour cream and no eggs. It turned out beautifully!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%