Is There A Consistent Method To Making Soccer Ball Cookies?

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need to bring some cookies to my son's soccer game on the weekend and was thinking soccer balls. The only concern i have is...how do you make them to all look alike? It's such a difficult design, one i have kinda avoided due to all the shapes in it. Do you have any tips on making them easier? Or do you have other suggestions of cookie design i can make? I don't want to spend lots of time on them, jsut want to bring something special for the kids.

suz

7 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 8

I hate them too. I can never get the black part to look right.

I was thinking of trying to make a small cutter to cut out the black part (I use fondant to decorate) so that they were all the same shape and size, then sticking them on the right way. Sometimes it's those simple designs that give me the hardest time!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 8

one of the very first decorated cookies I did was a soccer ball. At the time I didn't realize how hard they were because I had never done deocrated cookies before.

I found an image of a soccer ball online and printed it out the same same as my cookie. I used it as a template and traced the image where the black parts are onto the cookie with an edible marker then piped over it.
LL

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 8

that picture looks horrible - very pixely! Sorry icon_sad.gif

sweetcravings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

one of the very first decorated cookies I did was a soccer ball. At the time I didn't realize how hard they were because I had never done deocrated cookies before.

I found an image of a soccer ball online and printed it out the same same as my cookie. I used it as a template and traced the image where the black parts are onto the cookie with an edible marker then piped over it.

Thanks so much. Your cookies look fabulous! I'm still a little confused..I understand the clipart the size of the cookie, but did you have to cut out all the black parts of the clipart to make a stencil of sort in order to trace it on? icon_redface.gif Did you use card stock or will wax paper do? What type of icing do you use..it's hard to tell from the picture? How long did you wait for the white to dry before putting the black on?
Time is limited for me now, i think i started a little late. I have a full day today, but hope to put at least the white base down, so that i can get them started. I need them dry and ready for pkging by friday early afternoon.
suz

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8

So how did they come out? icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

So how did they come out? icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif Surprizingly well! I was agonizing over these darn soccer balls and initally thought...'hey, it'll be easy. Two colors, basic right? wrong.'
I baked the circles and flooded them with the white icing but i was very unhappy with how uneven my flooded circle looked. I was so worried that it was going look bad once i piped the design on it. So i posted here and got some reasurrance. I tried drawing the design on and it looked more like a cobweb. icon_smile.gif Someone suggested i get clipart and use that as a guide..then while over dinner with DH he says, "why don't you use your projector to get the image on the cookie?" icon_redface.gif I guess i was avoiding using it because sometimes it's not the easiest thing to use. My hands get in the way of the image therefore making piping hard. BUT>.i figured what do i have to loose. icon_biggrin.gif I pulled it out and tried the first cookie. I couldn't believe how easy it was. My hands weren't getting in the way, probably because i was working on such a small thing. Viola, iced, decorated and they do look like soccer balls. party.gif Initally i didn't think i should outline the whole thing in black as it would draw attention to my crooked white flooding, others here said the same thing but once i traced the design it looked incomplete without the ball outline so i did it. It actually looks pretty decent. For my first time making them i think they turned out ok. Thanks to everyone for your help and keeping me calm. I'm just glad they are done. I just have to finish putting labels on the backs of them. I put them in a container, kinda like a cookie bouquet so that it will be easier for me to transport them to the field tomorrow.
I'm sure the kids will be thrilled and won't notice the flaws..it's just i'm such a perfectionist. I wasn't completely happy with the jerseys i made along with them but oh well, no time to redo.
I will post a pic just as soon as i get it all together and pics downloaded.
Thanks again everyone.

suz

sweetcravings Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8

ok here are the pictures..

Don't mind the bucket the cookies are in, it's just for transport, and the poor photo taking.

Thanks for all your help.
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%