Baseball Cake What Do You Think About This Idea

Decorating By jacksons_mom Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm by Monna7122

jacksons_mom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 7

We really aren't having a party for my son, instead we are going to the water park with family and friends. The night of my son's birthday some friends have invited us over to celebrate Jackson turning 2 and their anniversary. So there will be 4 adults and 2 kids, Jackson isn't big into sweets so I really don't know if he will eat any cake or not. In two years he has only eaten 1/2 a slice of cake without acting like it was nasty.

He is really into balls so I thought a baseball cake would be fun for him even if he didn't eat any of it. Here is is my idea, can you tell me what you think?

I am thinking of baking a white 8x8 cake and frosting the top with a thin layer of green frosting. Then make a running path in the shape of a baseball diamond with home base being at one corner. I will fill in the running path with brown sugar or chocolate frosting and use white frosting for the bases. Then cover the rest of the cake in grass.

Then I am going to make 1/2 a baseball using my small pampered chef batter bowl and decorate it using a star tip. I thought I would place the ball on second base. In the middle of the ball I would have a number 2.

For the sides of the cake I thought I would ice it in chocolate with grass on the bottom of the cake where it sits on the board.

I was also thinking that I could make small rice krispie balls, ice them to look like baseballs and place them on the 4 corners of the cake.

What do you think??

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

Everything sounds great except for a couple of things ---

Don't use brown sugar. No one wants a mouthful of that! Whirl around some Nilla wafers or graham crackers in the food processor and gently spoon them onto the path. Spread with a paintbrush. The path should be done with brown icing right on top of your green icing.

You'll want to add the crumbs last because if they get onto your green area, the grass won't stick to the cake. For that same reason, you'll probably want to make your bases out of fondant or marshmallows. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to pipe the white icing on top of crumbs!

I'm not seeing a baseball from the batter bowl. For one thing, the bowl is not a sphere shape. Also, it would be rather large on an 8x8 cake. I'd suggest using the mini ball pan. And, IMO, rather than placing it on 2nd base, put it on the pitcher's mound.

Can't wait to see your finished cake!

jacksons_mom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the ideas! I will use them on the path since I didn't think of any of that!

on the baseball I don't have the money to buy anything for this cake. Would a small pyrex bowl work?? Wouldn't look perfect, but you think it would be okay?

DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 7

A bowl would be okay, but once again, it's got a flat bottom, so you'll have to add something to the top to make it round. You can make a mixture of crumbled up cake and a little bit of icing (I call it cake mush, others call it spackle) and mold the top of the ball with that. Then ice.

Personally, I think it would be cute if you formed a whole ball out of RK treats. Jam a skewer or lollipop stick into it and stick it into the cake. If you decide to try this, decorate the bottom half of the ball before sticking it into the cake, then stick it into the cake and finish the top of the ball.

jacksons_mom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

LOL I just tole my BIL I thought the RK treat baseball might be cute and easier to get the shape I am looking for.

maybe that is a sign I should do that.

Monna7122 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7

I think it is a great idea. Definately listen to Diane on the wafers and adding them last. I did a simular cake for a friends son and did the wafers first icon_redface.gif Not a good idea. But the cake sounds like it will be very cute.

Monna7122 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 7

I think it is a great idea. Definately listen to Diane on the wafers and adding them last. I did a simular cake for a friends son and did the wafers first icon_redface.gif Not a good idea. But the cake sounds like it will be very cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%