Can I Ask For Your Opinion?

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm by Melvira

sugarcheryl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 12

If some ask for prices for cakes, cookies whatever they need and you give them the info they need and they said they would call back if they decide to go with you. Do I need to call them back?

11 replies
weirkd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 12

No. There are a lot of people out there that fish for the best price and if they think you are the best price they will either call you back or would have made an appointment right then and there.

mmgiles Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 12

My reaction to this would be not to call them back. Although I am much cheaper than most of the bakeries where I live, I still get those people who expect Walmart prices (some are even family lol) who hear a price and then say oh well let me check with my husband, or oh I'll give you a call back. Usually this is a nice way of saying no thanks.

On the other hand, they might then shop around and realize how reasonably priced you are, and then call you back, but I wouldnt call them.

tx_cupcake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 12

I agree with everyone else. Chances are the person didn't like the price you quoted, and rather than be upfront with you they took the passive aggressive route and told you they would "call you back" knowing full well that they would not.
Why can't people just be honest? Blah!

yummymummy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 12

Nope, I don't chase my customers. I'm clear w/ them that if they decide to order from me that thier deposit of $xx amount is due by xx date to confirm and hold that date and order. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 12

I would definitely not call them back. They are just looking around at this point, perhaps they have a budget and you didn't fit into it. You don't really want an embarassing 'confrontation' type situation really. You also don't want to come across as "That desperate cake lady that stalks you, trying to get you to buy a cake! For goodness sake don't call her!". (Not that you'd do that, but you know how people exaggerate things when telling others a story!) Now, if you met with them and designed a cake and then they said they'd call back, heck yah! Call 'em! But if it was just a casual inquiry, don't waste your time. Just my two cents... keep the change! icon_lol.gif

Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 12

I don't call them back either. If they want to use you, they will call. There are plenty more people that will use you in their place!

sugarcheryl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 12

I love you guys. You help me to stay grounded. I thought I handle it the best way and I had a feeling the person was fishing because she said she normally would have did the order but she was to busy. I even asked her to give me a budget she couldn't give me one. My thought with all customers if you like what I do and are willing to pay my prices then we do business if not oh well we were not meant to be. Next! Besides I just do not believe we have to chase or persuade them to buy from us either you like it or you don't the end.

poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 12

Personally I never call them back. If they are interested they know my phone number, web address and email. So I leave it up to them, if they want me they'll call back. If not I assume I was to high for their budget.

Aliwis000 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 12

Just a thought I had about pricing real quick. Do you put expiration dates on quotes?

I understand that this business is very different then the printing business I am in but people will come in asking for a quote, then we dont hear from them for 6 months and they want the same price. I know wedding cakes get priced way out but as far as other cakes it applies. Gas, electricity, etc etc are going up on almost a monthly basis for us so we make it a point to tell people that after a month our prices are subject to change.

Does anyone do this in the cake business?

Good luck!

edited for spelling lol

mlharvell Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 12

My quotes are good for 30 days. If they decide they want the same product after 30 days, I re-quote it.

Melvira Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 12
Originally Posted by mlharvell

My quotes are good for 30 days. If they decide they want the same product after 30 days, I re-quote it.

Ditto! The only exception is once they book a wedding obviously! But that means money has changed hands. That's the only way a price is 'locked in'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%