Which Would You Use????

Decorating By apetricek Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm by Swede-cakes

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 10

HI everybody I have an upcoming bridal shower this Sunday to do. The customer wants a 3 tiered round cake for the event. It is for 62 people. I was planning on doing 8,10,12 but know that will be too much cake, any suggestions on sizes...I am having a mental blank...I think it is from sniffing too much powered sugar! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks guys for your help!

9 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 10

I did a 6, 8, 10 for a wedding of about 50 and they said that they barely had enough cake - clearly they didn't follow the wilton guide to cutting - hahaha (and that of course didn't include the top tier).

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 10

Earlene's chart is more realistic than the wilton one.

http://earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 10

I agree, I use Earlene's chart, NOT the wilton chart, it allows for slightly more generous servings

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 10

I would stick with the 12-10-8, it will give more then the 62 but its better to have leftovers then not enough.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 10

Party servings are always larger than wedding servings - they don't (usually) have a professional there doing the cutting. Most of the time they are hacked icon_smile.gif

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 10

I use the Wilton party serving size chart. I always have leftover cake, but that's the way I like it.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 10

I would ask the customer what she wants. You could make her the smaller cake and several cupcakes. She could get the larger cakes and then just charge her for the extra cake. For the larger cake you are making 33 extra pieces.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 10

showersfamily4 thanks for the tip on serving chart.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 10

I find Wilton's a big small as well. But what is the size of the cake piece from Erlene's chart? Are they bigger than 2"x1"x4"h?

tia!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%