Fondant; Store Bought Or Homemade?

Decorating By dennishaskins Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm by Shelly4481

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 14

i was just wondering which you guys feel is better, premade fondant or homemade? if store bought what have you found is a good brand and if homemade what is a good recipe? i'm making a wedding cake at the end of the month and i've always made homemade fondant when i need too and never had the best of luck with it. i usually use modeling chocolate for the outside. just looking for different opinions!

thanks!

13 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 14

I make my own fondant because the store-bought fondant is just too expensive in Barbados.

I use the Wilton recipe for my fondant.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 14

I really like to make Michele Fosters homemade fondant,its in recipe files,it tastes great and is easy to work with.But for convience i prefer Satin Ice.It cost more than making your own.I buy it 20# at a time and its around $60 shipped.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 14

If I make it, its marshmallow fondant. If I buy it, its Satin Ice or FondX.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 14

For me, it's either making marshmallow fondant or buying Satin Ice. I really like them both, but then again, THose are the only two i've ever tried (except for the horrid premade Wilton brand many,many years ago). I have yet to invest the time trying some of the recipes i've heard about, but you you search this topic, you can find lots of the info you're looking for. HTH

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 14

I make mmf. This past weekend I tried something different. I got Jennifer Dontz video on fondant, she addes white choc & corn syrup with her fondant. She said to use Pettice(sp). So I thought I am going to try it with mmf. It didn't look good at first, but the next day after I let it set then kneaded and it came out so smooth and so gooood. Love it!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 14

I like Michele Fosters recipe on here. I sometimes add gum trag to it if its too soft. But if I buy it, then I use Satin Ice.
Only use the wilton stuff for cake dummies.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 14

...yep, you can add candy clay to mmf....makes it taste pretty goodicon_wink.gif
Theres all kinds of things you can do to it to improve taste/elasticity.
Adding different extracts....I love adding lots of almond...mmmmicon_wink.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 14

I bought the Wilton stuff when I did the courses but it tastes awful. Since then I've made MMF (which was great for figurines, but I didn't like for covering cakes) and Michelle Foster's (great for both figurines and cake covering).

We just don't have many options here besides Wilton and I refuse to sell a cake that tastes like I dipped it in an unknown chemical! It was kind of funny when my Wilton instructor told our class that people don't order fondant because it tastes good, they just like the look. I want it to taste good and look good and didn't like her opinion that fondant couldn't be both!

Can anybody instruct me on how to add chocolate to fondant?? Do you melt it and then add it?

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 14

Shelly4481, how much chocolate and corn syrup did you add to your MMF? TIA icon_wink.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 14

i've made michele foster's fondant & i love the taste.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 14

I am in Canada and have been able to get Satin Ice from Golda's Kitchen in Toronto for about 6 months now - yay! I love using it and most everyone who's tried it on my cakes really likes it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 14

I love SatinIce also. I don't have the time to make it.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 14

With one batch of mmf I melted 2 1/2 cups of chocolate and added 1/2 cup of light cornsyrup. Mixed together first by hand. Then kinda folded in the two together.(mmf and choc mixture) It was sorta hard to get them blended so I didn't do it very good but wrapped then the next day kneaded them better and it came out good. So don't worry if it doesnt get really mixed well, it was easier the next day. At first I thought I might of used to much of the syrup but it ended up working great. I hope this makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%