50-50 Or 100% Butter Or Shortening?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm by yummymummy

KieslerKakes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:01am
post #1 of 32

What's the best BC icing combination? 100% shortening or 50% butter and 50% shortening? What combination do most cake decorators use?

31 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:28am
post #2 of 32

I use 50/50... I like the flavor of butter, and it still crusts...

ThreeDGirlie Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:30am
post #3 of 32

I'm pretty much only doing 100% shortening these days. I hate the "dingy" color that my BC gets when I use 50/50. It just looks dirty to me. I tried adding a "touch of violet" to cancel out the yellow tones, but it doesn't seem to work well enough for me. It either still looks dingy, or it turns light purple... I'm a new convert to Sugarshack's recipe and method - but it makes a TON of icing. icon_eek.gif

But everybody has their own opinions on this, as I am sure you will find out quickly!

foxymomma521 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:46am
post #4 of 32

I add white Americolor to my icing and it turns out snow white! Check out my pics icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #5 of 32

I use 50/50. It does have more of a "ivory" color than 100% shortening, but if you really need white, you can add Wilton's white coloring to it. My mom uses 100% shortening for her icing, and even her business partner says she likes mine better (which is saying a lot). I think the 50/50 has better flavor personally. But I have worked with both and for decorating they are about the same.

jammjenks Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

I use 50/50. It does have more of a "ivory" color than 100% shortening, but if you really need white, you can add Wilton's white coloring to it. My mom uses 100% shortening for her icing, and even her business partner says she likes mine better (which is saying a lot). I think the 50/50 has better flavor personally. But I have worked with both and for decorating they are about the same.

Me too. I used to use the all shortening Wilton recipe. Once when I was making it, I didn't realize I was out of clear butter flavoring so I had to use 50/50 and it tasted better to me. I made a batch of cupcakes, put the 50/50 icing on them and let my co-workers taste-test. The 50/50 won hands down.

LizAnn Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 32

How does icing made with half butter-half shortening do at room temp? Doesn't the butter make it melt ? I sometimes have to deliver wedding cakes 3-4 hours before the reception and that would be a concern for me.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 32

I use all butter for some people who prefer it, but with the hot humid weather, have made either 50/50 or 100% shortening the last few times Indy Debs recipes wonderful! I added a Tablespoon of butter flavor and 2 of vanilla and it was great.

APrettyCake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 32

I use 50/50 99% of the time - it is a flavor thing. If I am making mad BC flowers though, and not icing a cake with it, I use 100% shortening since it holds up nicely and my flowers don't wilt. But then, I really can't call it BC, because there is no butter in it. Shortening cream just sounds gross, tho icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jammjenks Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnn

How does icing made with half butter-half shortening do at room temp? Doesn't the butter make it melt ? I sometimes have to deliver wedding cakes 3-4 hours before the reception and that would be a concern for me.

It will not melt at room temp. Out in the hot blazing 100 degree sun...probably. Room temp....nah.

staceyboots Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 32

I am a recent convert to 50/50 butter/shortening.

I started using the 100% shortening recipe because I liked the resulting white colour of the buttercream. However, I've been feeling guilty about serving buttercream with all that shortening in it...yuck!...so I tried using the 50/50 recipe and it was delicious!!

PinkZiab Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 32

I use 100% butter. Only once in a blue moon when I know the cake will be sitting in less than ideal conditions will I do 75/25% Butter/Sweetex.

Wendl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 32

I live in Texas and I grew up w/my grandmother and mother making cakes and frosting them with full-on, 100% buttercream (otherwise, it seems cheating to call it so when there isn't any in it!). And my late-grandmother learned from her mom/grandmom who had a rural country house with out central back in the day!

I can't bring myself to do any different (aside from using air conditioning!). The thought of shortening as main ingredient or even half makes me gag. It's just me. And, since my cakes are generally fondant, if I need stark white, I just use my straight-up buttercream (any of the handful of recipes I refer to) as my crumbcoat for a solid base color.

And like other folks across the forums, now that my friends know 'my' icing's flavor profile, they can taste the difference now...so in my own way, I am making it very hard for them to willingly go for a grocery-store cake! icon_wink.gif

Wendl, the full butter gal

jolmk Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 32

I use 50/50 and only 100% in extreme heat.

Tara...what color is your 100% butter icing, do you use a specific type/brand of butter, does it crust?

Jo

yummymummy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 32

I use 100% shortening during summer months. I don't want all taht time and effort agonizing over a cake only to have my frosting start to melt and misbehave!...I do admit that I love a bc w/ butter in it though. I've never tried a 100% butter recipe though. Anyone have any good ones they wouldn't mind sharing? icon_smile.gif

LizAnn Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 32

Along these lines, has anyone ever used Super Quik Blend icing shortening by Wesson ?

yummymummy Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 32

I've never heard of it...where did you find it? I'd be interested to see how it compares.

hammer1 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 32

its 50/5o for us. however we use alpine shortening. We always tell people our icing is off white. If they would insist on pure white we would make if out of all crisco, however that has never happened after tasting out buttercream. real vanilla is a must.
check our pictures, it really is not that ivory.
good luck.

PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

Tara...what color is your 100% butter icing, do you use a specific type/brand of butter, does it crust?

Hey Jo... My icing is usually ivory in color (as I use real vanilla extract, as well--I ABHOR the clear imitation kind. Tastes like chemicals. I usually do a meringue-based buttercream, which of course does not crust. I will do American buttercream as a special request, and my recipe will crust, but it's a moot point for me, as I don't do all buttercream cakes, I really only work in fondant (again, unless it's a special request, but even then crusting isn't a "good" trait in a frosting for me, lol).

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #20 of 32

I use 2/3 butter, 1/3 Crisco, oooooohhhh so good! Holds up very well, looks great, and is pretty white:

I have a few other videos showing me using it, making roses and whatnot icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #21 of 32

i do 50 /50...tried 100% butter...that seemed like a bit "much" butter for me.

WOW i didn't know white gel would turn the icing white.....i thought it was just for making the colors more pastel.

DUH...i learned something new today! YAY!

SpringFlour Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #22 of 32

I'm a 2/3 butter girl, too. I've only just started using this new recipe. I learned by making Wilton recipes with shortening only, and I had a hard time finding a butter recipe that behaved well. I now use a tweaked variation of Toba Garrett's "Decorator's Buttercream." I LOVE it and won't go back to shortening only. The flavor of Toba's is so much better and I've had no issues decorating with it. I took it to a Wilton class last week and chucked inwardly when the instructor told another student that she didn't allow butter buttercreams in class because the room was too warm and it would melt. icon_lol.gif My cake turned out great!

paddlegirl14 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #23 of 32

All I do is all butter. I have tried the 50/50 BC and it leaves an awful taste in my mouth and a coating on my tounge. I am all for butter, I guess being a southern girl!!

something_sweet Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:41am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I use 2/3 butter, 1/3 Crisco, oooooohhhh so good! Holds up very well, looks great, and is pretty white:

I have a few other videos showing me using it, making roses and whatnot icon_biggrin.gif

I watched your video, does your icing have to be refridgerated since you have cream in it?

LizAnn Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:37am
post #25 of 32

That would be my concern, too, with the heavy cream .... wouldn't it go bad if it's not refrigerated ?

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #26 of 32

Nope, the sugar to fat ratio acts as a preservative. I never refrigerate and I've been using this recipe for at least a year now icon_biggrin.gif Ok well, most of the time I use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of cream because I forget to buy cream when I go to the store icon_lol.gif

1234me Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 32

I use 50-50. If I need white, I use the Wilton white. I have used Americolor whit ein the paste and I find that the Wilton white lookes better! I use Americolor for all other colors but love the Wilton White.

I have always used 50/50 - I think my customers would not be happy if I used anything else icon_smile.gif

mom2leelee Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #28 of 32

Growing up my mom only used an all butter recipe. I use a 50/50 because I think it's a nice compromise in taste and workability.

cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummy

I use 100% shortening during summer months. I don't want all taht time and effort agonizing over a cake only to have my frosting start to melt and misbehave!...I do admit that I love a bc w/ butter in it though. I've never tried a 100% butter recipe though. Anyone have any good ones they wouldn't mind sharing? icon_smile.gif

Just a question, is this Crisco everyone is using or is it Sweetex or Alpine,
Thanks When doing 50/50 or 100%

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #30 of 32

I will only make SMBC from now on and I have used 2/3 butter and 1/3 shortening. Haven't tried it with all butter yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%