Fake Cake Display

Decorating By daisy43 Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 3:26am by daisy43

daisy43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy43 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:17am
post #1 of 18

Hello everyone. First I'd like to say that I am new to this forum and I found it through Google search, and Oh Boy! am I glad I found this gold mine. icon_smile.gif
I have been looking around for a few hours now and have seen so many amazing cakes. Like Whoa! You are all very talented people.

And now my reason for being here is.... I am hosting a baby shower for my daughter in two weeks. Yes 2 weeks icon_cry.gif This is my first Grandson and first time hosting such an event.
I am so nervous and I have been planning this for 2 months now. I get these idea's in my head, but then I change my mind b/cuz I come up with new idea icon_lol.gif Ya I know craziness!

Ok so I finally settled for a Winnie The Pooh Theme. I have done a Winnie The Pooh Diaper Cake ( and I'm proud of myself) I did a great job for a first timer icon_smile.gif

So this is what I would like to do. I would like to make a fake cake to display on the dessert table.
I was thinking of using foil/alumium (maybe spelled wrong) pans that you buy in the store and than use store bought fondant to cover/decorate/design this fake cake.

1 large square pan for the bottom, and than I'd like to do 4 small square pan to spell the word B A B Y across the top of cake.

I was thinking of adding food coloring to the fondant. red and yellow food coloring to create a "red" fondant (bottom cake) and than yellow for the squares.

Can and will this work?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated.

TIA
have a great day........

17 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 18

Hi, Daisy43! Welcome to CC!

I can see your point about using the aluminum pans. My fear is that they will collapse from the weight of the fondant.

You still have enough time to order cake dummies, which I think you will be better off using.

If your local supply store does not carry them, try ordering them from one of the vendors.

There's Guildcraft, whom I deal with most often. If you call them by noon, they ship same day. In the lower 48, you should have them within 4 days.

http://www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html

There's another company from Texas, but I can't remember the name.

Anybody else want to chime in with that one?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 18

I think the one in Texas is TaylorFoam. Might want to google that and see. I have ordered from Taylor Foam before, but it's been a while.

daisy43 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif But there is 1 problem, I'm in Canada Ont. Any idea where I could get that here? Or what about if I go with regular cake pans?

TIA

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 18

The Texas one is www.**********online.com and they are great! Also quick shippers.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 18

The place in Texas is www.**********.com - they rock. I know that won't help you though, being in Canada. You could always go to a craft or hobby store and just buy styrofoam there. Much easier to work with, and will support the weight of the fondant. An added bonus is that after the shower, you can re-use it! Good luck with everything and be sure to post pictures! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 18

There's also www.**********.com

not sure about the Canada vendors...sorry

arosstx Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 18

Not sure why they blocked my mention of www.**********.com  They are highly regarded on this site, and many of us use them. They also sell on ebay.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here. If someone knows something about this and wants to clue me in, that would be great. Just trying to help.

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 18

Several of the websites mentioned were [blocked]?? Can anyone let me know what they are please? I tried searching www.**********.com but I got no results other than for matresses, haha.

arosstx Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 18

The site I go to is http://www.**********.com then there is a link to cake dummies. They will also for just a small amount extra cut you any shape size you want. Really great service and very inexpensive - I have used them several times now.

SadEyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SadEyes Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 18

In Toronto you can buy styrofoam dummies at Creative Cutters, MacCalls Bakers Warehouse, Golda's and several other places where cake supplies are sold

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 18

Thankx Arosstx. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 18

Hi,

I ordered on line some styrofoam cake dummies from Golda's kitchen and they came from Ontario to western canada in 1 week, so I imaginge being in Ontario you would get them much quicker. There is also a website kinda like this cakescanada that you might want to check out as well. HTH

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 18

Does anyone know why www.**********.com is blocked on this site?

They are great BTW and will custom cut just about anything you can dream of.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 18

here is a link to a Canadian cake forum

http://www.cakescanada.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=f8a4c93352b038a4b7fca578469b542a

they have a forum for supplies in Canada.

HTH

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 18

Why is anything even blocked on this site??? For the longest I couldn't figure out what that was...and had to assure myself that it wasn't a company named that. Why the censorship??? Are we not at liberty to mention certain companies?...and if so, is there a thread that lists the companies and the reason for blocking them?

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #17 of 18

www.**********.com is FANTASTIC and cheap (although I can't speak for shipping cost since I pick mine up). I have ordered several dummies from them and have always been pleased.

daisy43 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #18 of 18

Wow you all are amazing. I am tickeled pink with all the help and advice I got. Thank you all so very much.
I am going to try two things. Being I am in Canada Ont, I am going to check out that Canada cake site (thank you for the link) and as someone mentions a craft store. I think I will pay Micheals Crafts a visit this weekend, hope I find something icon_smile.gif

Oh and btw, there will be many many pictures (i'm so excited) of course now all I have to do is learn to use my scanner icon_razz.gif

Thank you all again so much, you have been very helpful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%