Can someone please be so kind as to explain to me how to use patchwork cutters? I see them all the time but I have no idea how you use them to decorate a cake. Also, if you know of any pics with them being used please include the link in your response.
Thanks! Happy Hurricane, everyone!
1. cut out the full shape as per the cutter.
2. use the coloured paste & cut in parts that are required, like black for eyes, flesh colour for face, pink for dress part etc.& stick to the full cut shape before it dries out.
Another way is to leave the cut out to dry out completely & then paint the same. Hope this helps. Attached is a picture of christmas cake I did.
Hi - there are a few different styles of patchwork cutters. Some can be used as impressions (see the cake in my avatar - I just used the cutter on the sides as an impression and piped over with RI).
The following link contains a church window cutter (ignore the messy fondant - it traveled in checked luggage on an airplane):
These were the steps I followed to use this cutter (note: instructions are included with the product):
- press the cutter into a freshly covered fondant cake to make the impression
- roll out some GP very thinly (the directions say to use mexican paste); press the cutter into the paste so you cut through cleanly (lightly grease the cutter before using)
- carefully remove the pieces you will be using to 'build up' the design. In the link above I used the dove and the outline of the church window. apply these pieces to the design.
- you can use paint, luster, etc... to add color
Hope this was clear - if not, feel free to PM me.