How Do I Use Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By Doughnut Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm by snowshoe1

Doughnut Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:04am
post #1 of 3

Can someone please be so kind as to explain to me how to use patchwork cutters? I see them all the time but I have no idea how you use them to decorate a cake. Also, if you know of any pics with them being used please include the link in your response.

Thanks! Happy Hurricane, everyone!

2 replies
judcreations Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:36am
post #2 of 3

1. cut out the full shape as per the cutter.
2. use the coloured paste & cut in parts that are required, like black for eyes, flesh colour for face, pink for dress part etc.& stick to the full cut shape before it dries out.

Another way is to leave the cut out to dry out completely & then paint the same. Hope this helps. Attached is a picture of christmas cake I did.
LL

snowshoe1 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 3

Hi - there are a few different styles of patchwork cutters. Some can be used as impressions (see the cake in my avatar - I just used the cutter on the sides as an impression and piped over with RI).

The following link contains a church window cutter (ignore the messy fondant - it traveled in checked luggage on an airplane):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1247065

These were the steps I followed to use this cutter (note: instructions are included with the product):

- press the cutter into a freshly covered fondant cake to make the impression
- roll out some GP very thinly (the directions say to use mexican paste); press the cutter into the paste so you cut through cleanly (lightly grease the cutter before using)
- carefully remove the pieces you will be using to 'build up' the design. In the link above I used the dove and the outline of the church window. apply these pieces to the design.
- you can use paint, luster, etc... to add color

Hope this was clear - if not, feel free to PM me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%