Mint Flavored Ganache & Mmf, Help!

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 4:19am by maimai16

maimai16 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 21

hi everyone!

has anybody tried to flavor your ganache and MMF with mint? is it ok to use oil based flavorings?

20 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:24am
post #2 of 21

You can use oil-based flavorings in MMF. I haven't tried mint yet (ask me after September icon_biggrin.gif ) but I've done orange and strawberry and they came out good, especially the orange.

gateaux Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #3 of 21

In chocolate you need Oil base, anything else will spoil the chocolate.
Does someone want both the fondant and ganache to be mint on the same cake? It's such a strong flavor what type of cake is it? My 6 year old discovered mint this year... we grow it on the deck and it might be fun to experiment.

For fondant I also like, lemonade, watermelon, champagne and bubblegum they all work great a few of these are better on kids cakes!

I use raspberry, orange, lemon and caramel and mint in ganache.

Good Luck.

melysa Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 21

i've used the andes mint chocolate chips from the grocery store to make ganache before and i really liked the combination, my kids on the other hand, did not. i think if you enjoy mint chocolate chip ice cream, then you'd like a ganache like this.

the VERY FIRST time i used fondant, i did it for someone who asked for mint fondant (i dont know why) and so...not having any experience, i bought wilton fondant (yeah i know, gross) and added mint extract. the oil based extract held fine, but the flavor was like.... chewing gum covering a cake. i am not sure it would taste any better in a quality fondant... you could try it out. but anyway to answer your question, yes its fine to use the oil extract in fondant. in my personal opinion though, i did not like the flavor.

maimai16 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:24am
post #5 of 21

thanks for all your comments and tips. will try them this weekend. btw, i'll be using them in different cakes. will post the results and my observations.

slimkim Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:27am
post #6 of 21

You can also try putting fresh mint leaves in your cream and butter when melting. I heard that was really good.

staceyboots Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

For fondant I also like, lemonade, watermelon, champagne and bubblegum they all work great a few of these are better on kids cakes!

I use raspberry, orange, lemon and caramel and mint in ganache.

Good Luck.

gateaux,

do you use the Lorann candy flavours for your ganache? can i safely use any of the Lorann flavours (not necessarily the ones made for the chocolate) to flavour my ganache?

gateaux Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 21

Yes, I use the loreann for flavoring they work great for me.

I do this also when I make truffles and it works great for the initial flavoring. then you can add more from natural sources.

Good Luck.

aswartzw Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 21

In case you already aren't, are you making chocolate MMF with chocolate MMs and adding the mint? Excuse my stupid question, but wouldn't a regular mint extract work with it?

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 21

you can use regular mint extract or the oil in both the ganache and the mmf without any problems. Just after the cream has come to temp and you've removed it from the heat is when it's best to incorporate flavors...stir it well into the cream before adding the cream to the chocolate and there won't be any clumping of the chocolate (due to the addition of an extract that is)

rvercher23 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 21

I just made a mint chocolate cake and milk chocolate mint ganache. It was soooooooooooooooo good. For the ganache I used 1/8 tsp creme de menthe. It was good, and not too overpowering. The bride loved it and picked it for her wedding cake.

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 21

oh my! I completely forgot about liqueurs! I make ganache using them on occasion...mmmmmmmmm Amaretto

maimai16 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

In case you already aren't, are you making chocolate MMF with chocolate MMs and adding the mint? Excuse my stupid question, but wouldn't a regular mint extract work with it?

i guess regular mint extract would be great but unfortunately, its hard to find one here in our country only oil based mint flavoring is available icon_cry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

I just made a mint chocolate cake and milk chocolate mint ganache. It was soooooooooooooooo good. For the ganache I used 1/8 tsp creme de menthe. It was good, and not too overpowering. The bride loved it and picked it for her wedding cake.

sounds good... would you mind sharing your recipe? icon_smile.gif

another thing, has anybody tried to make a dark chocolate cake with white & chocolate mousse as filling covered with mint chocolate ganache? b/c thats what i'm going to make this friday... hope anyone could share any tips that i can use... thumbs_up.gif

melysa Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #14 of 21

i've never made white or chocolate mousse, but i do know that with ganache, your chocolate to cream ratio will be different to get the right consistancy, depending on the chocolate you'll be using. do you already have recipes for mousse? the entire combination sounds really yummy.

NikkiDoc Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:56am
post #15 of 21

I made the chocolate fondant recipe on this site and added peppermint extract to it. Yumm. It is good! I've only tasted it by itself, tastes kind of like a meltaway mint. I am saving it for some decorations I will be making in a couple of weeks. I don't really like fondant on cake, so I don't know how it would be on a cake...probably weird unless it was a chocolate mint cake. Have you ever tried the chocolate mint cake in the Cake Doctor book? It is filled with mint buttercream and covered in Ganache. WOW. It is excellent. Chocolate mint fondant would probably be good with that!

NikkiDoc Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:04am
post #16 of 21

Oh, forgot to add, it tastes like a great big York Peppermint Patty cake!

maimai16 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

i've never made white or chocolate mousse, but i do know that with ganache, your chocolate to cream ratio will be different to get the right consistancy, depending on the chocolate you'll be using. do you already have recipes for mousse? the entire combination sounds really yummy.

hmmm... actually i have the hershey's classic chocolate mousse recipe. to make it white, i'm just going to omit the cocoa powder hehehe... if i cant find a mint extract or oil, maybe i'll just use rum. do you think i can add rum on ganache?

staceyboots Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

I made some chocolate raspberry ganache last night. I added some raspberry pie filling to the cream and let that boil...added some butter and sugar to the mix until they dissolved...poured that over the chocolate chips...and finally stirred in a Tbsp of Chambord (raspberry liqueur).

The raspberry gives the ganache a nice and subtle flavour!

rvercher23 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #19 of 21

Mint Chocolate Cake with Mint Choc Ganache

1 cup andes mint baking chips
1 1/4 cups water divided
2 1/4 cups flour-unbleached
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar- firmly packed
1/2 cup butter softenend
4 egg
3 heaping teaspoons cocoa
1 box chocolate fudge mint chip pudding
1/8 tsp creme de menthe

Preheat oven to 375
In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and mint chips, heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted ans mixture is smooth.
In med bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, pudding, and cocoa.
In mixer combine brown sugar and butter and beat until creamy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Mix in flour mixture alternating with remaining 1 cup of water.
Pour in pans and cook 25-30 mins, or until cakes test done

Mint Chocolate Ganache
( I used the recipe from this site and added the extract)
8 oz (240ml) cream
1 tbls butter
1 oz sugar
12 oz (340 g)chocolate
1/8 tsp creme de menthe

Heat cream, butter and sugar until hot, almost boiling, add over chocolate(i used 1 bag milk chocolate chips) stir until melted, add the extract
cool in the fridge and serve like that or whip

I hope you guys like it!

aswartzw Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 21

rvercher23, thanks so much! it sounds delish. yum

maimai16 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #21 of 21

thanks rvercher23, definitely this will be nest in line in my to do recipe icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%