Question About Cake Extenders

Decorating By Bubbles Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 7:29pm by becca0926

Bubbles Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 7

I have read on a couple different posts about people using cake extenders in their cake mix's. I doctor up cake mix's all the time, but I am not sure about cake extenders. What exactly is a cake extender, and what does it do for the cake?

6 replies
Fishercakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 7

What is it that you do to doctor up a mix?

I have never tried this but would like to if I knew how!

abbey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 7

There is a recipe on this site for cake mix extender. You simply add this recipe to your cake mix (I use it with doctored mixes and mixes I just followed the boxes instructions as well.) It will make your cake a little more dense and also give you a little more batter for those times you want a deeper cake but don't necessarily need two mixes.
I use the extender more times than not it makes a mixed cake taste a lot more like a cake from scratch in my opinion.

abbey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 7

Doctoring a mix is adding things to it to get a better cake. Do a google search for cake mix recipes and you'll find some sites with recipes for doctoring up a cake mix. Also there is a great book that I think all bakers need a copy of called "The Cake Mix Doctor" it is full of recipes that doctor up mixes.

Hope that helps!

Fishercakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 7

abbey: thank you very much!!

JennT Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 7

Bubbles - thank you for asking this question...I've wondered the same thing.

Abbey - thanks for your explanations...they make perfect sense!!


becca0926 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 7

I've used the durable cake for 3D cakes from this web site.It makes the most incredible cake. Look here. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%