Chocolate Ganache Or Chocolate Bc?

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm by kristina67

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 10

I want to do a cake that is covered in BC that looks like the old fashioned chocolate cake from the past. You know, with swirled looking movements. I saw a gorgeous cake that layered this look with red carnations in between. Which one would be better ganache or IMBC or reg. BC? Would ganache do that if it was whipped?

9 replies
kristina67 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 10

anyone? Does anyone have a preference over chocolate ganache vs. chocolate bc?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10

If you want that old fashioned chocolate cake look, i would say chocolate american butter cream is the way to go. Although i do think if you whip the ganache you will be able to ice the cake you describe.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, ganache would look that way if you whipped it. You could achieve the look with buttercream or ganache - it's a matter of what taste/texture you prefer. Toba Garrett's buttercream recipe is actually a combination of buttercream and ganache, and is delicious!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

kristina67 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your replies. It's always nice to know you can count on CC'ers to help ya when your in a bind icon_biggrin.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 10

I think the ganache would be great! I just made a turtle cake recently and did the chocolate swirly thing and I used the ganache.....supper yummy and it kinda reminded me of the choc. cakes my g'ma used to make icon_smile.gif

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 10

in my opinion they are polar opposites....if you are going for a look, use the bc, however, i adore the texture and taste of ganache....
why not fill the cake with ganache and ice with bc? best of both worlds....

for what it's worth-i've never whipped ganache.....

i suppose it depends on what your desired outcome
sally

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 10

Ganache is spreadable at room temp.. I use a 1:1 ratio of cream to chocolate (ie. 1c of heavy cream to 8oz of chocolate). I actually don't like Toba's chocolate BC, but I don't like powdered sugar based buttercreams on the whole. Toba's tasted like malted chocolate to me.. not what I think of when I think chocolate frosting. Add that to the fact that it was't that rich deep chocolate color and it was a no-go for me. If you ask me.. you can't go wrong with chocolate ganche.. whipped or not. icon_biggrin.gif

This one is from the Martha Stewart site and gets rave reviews.. it's just ganache with some corn syrup added in.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=fd8df9d49f90f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

*edited to add that you can achieve that look you desire with ganache.. just make sure you allow it to set up before you try to use it. icon_smile.gif

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 10

If you have never tried the Chocolate Syrup frosting recipe in the Recipe section here on CC I highly recommend it. It is just wonderful. I am a true Ganache lover and have used Ganache on many cakes but I think for the look you are trying to achieve you might consider trying the Chocolate Syrup icing. It is very chocolately, great tasting and nice to pipe with as well. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Have a great day! icon_wink.gif

kristina67 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks again for all of your advice. Over the weekend I tried the Hersheys baking cocoa recipe that is on the side of the can...it was sooo yummy. So now I have many choices. This last cake request is so odd because the groom is making the arrangements and it's all by phone. So, it's hard to explain how good ganache is so I guess in the end it will be up to me for flavor. They are also contemplating having fresh strawberries on the cake. So, I might try sugaring them...that will be a new one for me.
You guys are great thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%