Good Scratch Recipes

Decorating By cuteums Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm by JanH

cuteums Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

I am looking for some good scratch cake recipes. I found the red velvet one on here (Sarah's) that I love. I am looking for some good vanilla and chocolate ones that will hold up when being stacked or trimmed. My chocolate cakes are usually crumbly from a mix - even the durable 3d recipe gave me trouble this weekend. I lost part of my 12" round, but was able to salvage it into an oval. Moist, & spongey is my goal!

4 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

Try the recipe request forum. You might get a better response in there.

ladybuglau Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #3 of 5

my favorite chocolate cake recipe that everyone gushes over is the one from the back of the hershey's cocoa box! It's so easy and it's moist, chocolaty and super delicious!

eatdessert1st Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

Here are 2 of my standard cake recipes: One vanilla butter cake from Sylvia Weinstock and the double chocolate cake from Epicurious. (I must admit I don't use the Callebaut chocolate, though. I use Hershey's special dark icon_rolleyes.gif ) After making the choc. cake so many times I've added the measurements in grams... it helps speed things along for me.

Melanie Mc.

Butter Cake
Based on Sylvia Weinstockâs recipe
Fills (1) 12x3 pan or (2) 8x3 pans

2 ¼ C sifted cake flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ lb/ 8 0z (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 t vanilla (I use 1 1/2 vanilla beans, scraped and call it Vanilla Bean Cake)
1 C sour cream

1.  Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt

3. Cream butter in large bowl till fluffy and light in color, about 2 min. on Med. Speed.
Add sugar and conât to beat till light and fluffy.

4. Add eggs, one at a time; Add vanilla or vanilla beans.

5. Reduce speed to Low and add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; beginning and ending w/ flour. Scrape sides of bowl and beat for 1 minute.

6. Bake till done: top should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a toothpick- it should come out clean.

Approx. 8.5 C batter

Preheat oven to 325°F. and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.

Finely chop 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate (Callebaut) and in a bowl combine with 1 ½ C hot coffee.

Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Into a large bowl sift together:
3 C sugar/ 630 gms
2 ½ C flour/ 305 gms
1 ½ C cocoa powder (not Dutch Process)/ 150 gms
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 ¼ t salt

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat:
4 eggs

until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add:

¾ C oil (Crisco= 155 ml/grams)
1 ½ C buttermilk
1 T vanilla

and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well.

Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.

March 1999

JanH Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 5

Here's a similar thread that might be useful:

Quote by @%username% on %date%