How To Gumpaste Tulips

Decorating By bakerchick Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm by bakerchick

bakerchick Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone knows of a video or instructions page for making gumpaste tulips? I have looked and can't find any.

i have read previously that some cutters can be substituted for other flowers, i'm wondering if anyone can shed some light. I have only the 5 petal rose cutters. I am going to experiment but was hoping someone might point me in the right direction?

Also wanted to know how you attach the made flower to a stem so it looks like the real thing.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
bakerchick

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

Tulips directions along w/the proper cutter is included in Wilton's Gumpaste Flowers kit.
It would be hard to use your 5 petal rose cutter for them. You would be better off using a single petal cutter - might even get away w/using a leaf cutter.
To use taht 5 petal one you would have to do a lot of modifying of the petals.

Lorendabug Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #3 of 7

If you are just starting out the Wilton Gum Paste flower kit is a good place to start. I have it and it has been very helpful. Instructions are pretty easy. Read through the instructions first so you can be sure to have the right supplies. That will make all the difference. I think the kit sells for about $22.

Doughnut Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #4 of 7

I have to agree with the previous responses. I have the Wilton gumpaste kit and the instructions are SUPER SIMPLE. I highly suggest starting there. The instruction booklet makes doing this type of craft very un-intimidating. There are videos out there. I don't know how friendly they are when it comes to a beginner's level. Do a search on Scott Clark Woolley. He has some videos, but they are extremely expensive. Good luck. I can't wait to see what you do.

While I wait out this hurricane here in Galveston, I'm going to try making my first gumpaste flowers. lol.. I have the Wilton kit.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 7

Doughnut.. I am of the same mind. Luckily no major storm here, but with a heat index of 110 I am staying in and making gumpaste flowers for a wedding cake, trying some new techniques. icon_lol.gif

weirkd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 7

Nick Lodge sells a video that shows you how to make them. Its in his video for a toile purse cake.
He also sells cutters and veiners for them along with the small green tubing to put for a natural looking stem.
If your just starting out then I would say the Wilton is fine but if you want one to look realistic then I would go for Nick's cutters and veiners. Your end product will be much more professional looking.
(My aunt literally went up to one of my cakes and tried to smell my flowers because she thought they were real!!!)

bakerchick Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for the replies ' i think i will invest in a kit.
thanks all for your time. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%