Cake Size Pricing Guidance

Decorating By sugardaze Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 1:03am by foxymomma521

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I only have started to charge for my cakes and I need some guidanceI have an ex co-worker's girlfriend in need of a round cake (she specifically asked for round cake ) to feed 15 people. Her budget is $40.00 and I have agreed to do it. I need to make one large royal icing plaque to sit on top of her cake (it is in the image of a specific male anatomy as it is for a bachlorette party).

Will a 9 inch cake that is 3" high feed 15 people. I plan to have 3 chocolate cake layers (her request) filled with strawberry buttercream. And is $40.00 too little or too much?

2 replies
Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 3

Hi! I haven't begun to sell cakes yet (soon I hope!), but I tried to do a bit of research for you!

A 4" high 9" cake would serve 24 people with 1.5x2 inch servings using Wilton's guidelines. I would only assume that a 3" high cake would serve 18 (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!).

$40/18 servings would be about $2.22 per serving. I plan on charging $2.50 for buttercream and $3 for fondant when I finally start selling. I know there are some people on here that only charge $2 per serving for buttercream, so I think your price is pretty reasonable.

Good luck on your cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 3

All cake charts will give you servings that are 4" high, it's the industry standatd. (unless it's a sheetcake)
I like Earlene's Chart, I think it is a little more realistic than Wilton's...
http://www.ladycakes.com/earlene's_chart.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%