Size Of Cake Slices...

Decorating By roxxxy_luvs_duff Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 2:07am by roxxxy_luvs_duff

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know how big the slices of cake are using Earlenes cake chart?

9 replies
JodieF Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 10

They're 1 x 2 x 4

Jodie

karenm0712 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 10

I could be wrong, but according to what I have written down Earlene's serving sizes are 1.5x2x4; Wilton's are 1x2x4.

seagoat Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 10

I would like to know also

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I could be wrong, but according to what I have written down Earlene's serving sizes are 1.5x2x4; Wilton's are 1x2x4.

Agree. Wilton is 1x2x4, which is the industry standard and is the size that most caterers and facilities use when they cut a cake. Earline's is bigger than that and while I could never tell what size her slices were (sorry, but I find her page just TOO confusing to figure out! icon_confused.gif ), CC'ers have said it's 1.5 x 2 x4.

Here's a pic of the wilton 1x2x4 pcs of cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785 When I cut the wedding cake, many people ask for "...a smaller piece, please."

Here's a link on how to cut a wedding cake to achieve those sizes: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

JodieF Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 10

On one of her pages it says the size is 1 x 2.....last paragraph.
http://www.earlenescakes.com/cakeservinst.htm

That's what I was going by. icon_smile.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the help! I have a bride wanting "bigger slices" and wanted to know how big the slices were I was talking about. I guess the better question to ask her is how big does the caterer normally cut cake slices? So I will just give her the 1.5x2x4 size and just let her figure it out from there. I cant imagine that most of the guest will want a huge piece of cake after eating a big meal

indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 10

As a caterer who also cuts her own wedding cakes at the weddings, let me tell you that you are right... they won't want a big piece of cake. Like I said, many ask me to cut them a smaller piece. I also think that if the pieces are cut bigger than standard, that's why there is cake left over and thrown out, thus starting the "myth" that "no one eats cake anyway" and "oh, most of it goes right in the trash!"

And my ever popular response of "They are welcome to cut it any size they want, but they are PAYING for the amount of cake it's DESIGNED to serve .. based on the wilton chart." If they plan to cut bigger pieces, then they need to order more cake ... I am not obligated to provide them bigger pieces of cake at the same price.

KFC won't do it..... I wont' do it.

MomLittr Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 10

I did an 11x15 a couple of weeks ago and figured there would be cake left over. Well the hostess apparently likes very generous cake pieces and was cutting them as big as 3x3!!! Needless to say there was barely enough to feed the folks who were there..............and there should have been more than enough. Maybe next time I volunteer to cut!

deb

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

I think I will stick to the regular size serving and tell her of she would like bigger slices then she can order an extra kitchen cake. Im already dreading this cake and I dont even have to make it until March.

When I go to a wedding I like to taste the cake just because I want to know if its good or not.....after the apps, big dinner, and drinks Im way to full to eat cake so I take a couple of bites and thats usually it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%