I Cant Believe Im Asking A Redvelvet Cake Question,

Decorating By aundrea Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 3:08am by sweettoothmom

aundrea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 35

ive been making red velvet cakes for awhile, i lost my orginal receipe icon_cry.gif . so ive been trying different ones found here and on other sites.
which do you perfer, cakes made with oil or butter.
im making a cake friday for my daughter and red velvet is her favorite!
my receipe i used oil, but was wondering if butter is better.
thanks!!
darlene

34 replies
Mac Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 35

My husband and I prefer the one with oil--it's super moist

DebBTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 35

I'm a Southern girl that uses real butter. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

lillielu Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 35

Hi Aundrea, In my personal opinion, I think oil is the best. It keeps the cake more moist. I've had rave reviews for my red velvet cakes, and i always use oil. Hope that helps.

lillielu

raquel1 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 35

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I just want to "listen in". Choosing a red velvet recipe is a daunting task, and I'm in search of a great one.

aundrea Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 35

thanks for the input. i guess ill have to experiement. i should know my recipe by heart. ive made it so many times, but im on brain freeze right now.
i have to make this for friday, my daughter got a new job and im throwing a going away party at her old job. its a surprise.
ugh!!
i know the recipe ive used was with oil. i did however cut back on the amount of oil it called for. just wondering if a butter based redvelvet cake was better tasting.

DebBTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 35

I love to experiment with recipes.
Let us know how your test comes out.
Congratulations to your daughter.

I'm voting for butter. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

terrig007 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 35

I have had good luck with Emeril's one on the Food Network (Sylvia's great cake or something like that). Anyway, it uses the butter but I will say this, start checking at 20 minutes and check every two minutes afterward. I have had great luck with this but my friend swears by the Paula Deen one. Both are good but for some reason the Emeril one works better for me. Hope my ramblings helped!

seagoat Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 35

butter here

Mac Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 35

Here is my Red Velvet cake recipe:

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vinegar
2 oz. red food coloring
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat well. Add vinegar and food coloring. Sift flour, soda, salt and cocoa powder together and add to liquid mixture alternating with buttermilk (start and end with flour mixture). Add vanilla. Pour into 2 greased and floured pans. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350.

Frost with cream cheese frosting.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 35

neither...I use shortning. Here is the reciepe that has been handed down, i also have it on this site under "old Fashion red velvet cake"

Red Velvet Cake

½ cup shortening
1 ½ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tbsp cocoa
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp red food color
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar

Cream shortening sugar and eggs
Sift flour, cocoa and salt
Mix all together with buttermilk
Add vanilla and food color
Lightly mix in baking soda and vinegar

Grease and line pans with wax paper, either 2 8â pans or one 8x11
Bake at 350
25 mins, do not overbake

*great with four and milk frosting

mclaren Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:24am
post #12 of 35

mine is the same as mac's except that i used only 1 1/2 cups of oil & it is super moist already.

however, i sometimes add one small capfull (abt 1/2 tsp) of butter oil flavoring to get the buttery aroma.

msthang1224 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #13 of 35

wow, these recipes sound great, I must try them, thanks

Cynita Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 35

oil for my recipe, nicely moist.

aundrea Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 35

im going out on a limb! im going to try all three recipes. oil, butter and shortening. haha.
and let my kids be the judge.
i just hope i dont eat all this cake!!!
ill let everyone know how they turn out.
thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 35

Okay folks, today is the big day when we get the results of the Red Velvet taste challenge. icon_biggrin.gif

I bet you have cakes from one end of your place to another. It adds to the fun. Nothing like a splash of red food coloring to give your kitchen a new look. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

staceyboots Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 35

please keep us posted on the results of your experiment.

i too am searching for a good red velvet recipe and was starting to get confused because all of the ingredients (and their required quantities) in the 3 recipes were virtually the same except for the fat requirements....the top rated recipe on epicurious used butter...the top rated recipe on recipezaar used shortening...and my cake buddy's recipe used oil.

Some of the online recipe reviewers said butter made it dry, use shortening..no, not shortening use butter...no, use 1/2 butter 1/2 oil...no, increase the butter.

HELP!!!

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 35

i am curious as to the results of the cake. The good thing is, you are testing all the recipes in the same oven with the same pan...that makes a BIG difference!! I just made a rv cake for my neice's wedding on sat and had to use my parents oven up in ohio...electric ovens and i dont get along. my cake was dry, i didnt like it. i guess its all what you are use to using!

DebBTX Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #19 of 35

I thought I would check back in to see what the results of the Red Velvet ingredients challenge were. Has anyone heard?

-Debbie B.

clopin0 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #20 of 35

I, like many around here, just absolutely love the WASC cake recipe. I've made red velvet several times by just changing the cake mix to the Duncan Heines Red Velvet mix. I also use butter extract in place of the almond extract. It is absolutely delicious!!!

sweettoothmom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

I'm a Southern girl that uses real butter. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

Ha ha I originated out of Texas myself and I personally prefer butter on everything with a little butter on the side just in case.

Southern cookin' makes you good lookin"! ANd butter is in everything southern that is worth eatin'

Tootall Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #22 of 35

My recipe calls for popcorn oil icon_biggrin.gif Butter flavored. It's soooo yum! Passed down from my aunt icon_smile.gif

moreCakePlz Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #23 of 35

Piccadillyâs Cafeteria has the best Red Velvet cake Iâve ever tasted. Iâve tried different recipes over the years trying to find one to match it in taste and texture, but none of the recipes Iâve tried even come close. Iâm tempted to go work in their kitchen just so I can steal (ummm, I mean borrow) the recipe.

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

My recipe calls for popcorn oil icon_biggrin.gif Butter flavored. It's soooo yum! Passed down from my aunt icon_smile.gif

OOOOOOHHHHH that sounds so YUMMMMYYYYY!!!
Can you fedex me a piece? Or better yet can you share the recipe with your CC buddies? Hint hint wink wink thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Piccadillyâs Cafeteria has the best Red Velvet cake Iâve ever tasted. Iâve tried different recipes over the years trying to find one to match it in taste and texture, but none of the recipes Iâve tried even come close. Iâm tempted to go work in their kitchen just so I can steal (ummm, I mean borrow) the recipe.

Have you looked online they might have a cookbook out I heard fro a friend int he area that several longstanding N.O., LA eateries are putting out cookbooks in order to drum up interest in the N.O. area since bad old Katrina wrecked her havoc. Also a search under the head chef or pastry chef's name might lead you to a cookbook with treasures aplenty.
Try Amazon. If you find it let me know.

Tootall Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

OOOOOOHHHHH that sounds so YUMMMMYYYYY!!!
Can you fedex me a piece? Or better yet can you share the recipe with your CC buddies? Hint hint wink wink thumbs_up.gif

I most certainly will! I need to go home and find where I stuck it anyway icon_lol.gif It's stained with red food coloring icon_redface.gif I need to put it in a protective sleeve icon_biggrin.gif I'll try to remember to do that tonight!

sweettoothmom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #27 of 35

Oh thank you tootall. I cant wait

sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:57pm
post #28 of 35

Oh I can't wait to hear the tasting results! There is something really special about an old fashioned red velvet! All I have ever made has been boxed icon_redface.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #29 of 35

I just wanted to share the 2 recipes I used for red velvet cake. They were both really good. I found them online when looking for a RVC recipe for my sisters 21st birthday. I've made the first one twice and the second one only once and they are both really good. Very moist (maybe because of all the oil icon_lol.gif ) Hope you like it.

Red Velvet Cake #1
2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 oz red food color
2 cups butter flavor vegetable oil, if you can't find it near you add 1 cup butter flavored popcorn oil (available in the popcorn section at the store) to 1 cup of vegetable oil (for a total of 2 cups)

Cream cheese frosting
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
dash salt
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix flour cocoa powder and salt in a bowl, set aside. Put oil and sugar in a your mixer bowl, mix till well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. With your machine on low, slowly add in food coloring. Add vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk ( 2 x each). scrape down bowl and mix till combined. In a small bowl mix baking soda and vinegar together. Add to batter and mix for a couple seconds. Pour into 1 large or two small greased cake pans. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until done

Cream butter and cream cheese, till combined. Add vanilla and salt. Slowly add sugar. Fold in the pecans.

Red Velvet Cake #2
1 tbsp unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch process)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups canola oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
6 tbsp (3 ounces) red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp white vinegar.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place tsp of butter in each of 3 round 9-inch layer cake pans and place pans in oven for a few minutes until the butter is melted. Remove pans from oven, brush pans with butter and line with parchment paper.

Mix cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Put oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Turn mixer to low, and very slowly add red food coloring. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.

Put baking soda in a small bowl, stir in vinegar and add to batter with mixer running. About 15 seconds.

Divide batter among pans, place in oven and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.

Frosting
2 cups heavy cream, cold
12 oz cream cheese, room temp
12 oz mascarpone
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powder sugar, sifted

Whip cream until soft peaks form, cover and put in refrigerator.

Mix cream cheese and mascarpone until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly add powder sugar. Blend well.

Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate until needed.

Hope you like them!

Tootall Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #30 of 35

Ok, sorry it took me so long! I couldn't find it! icon_surprised.gif Scary! icon_lol.gif Here it is!

2 ½ cups self rising flour

1 ½ cups sugar

1 t baking soda

1 t cocoa

1 cup buttermilk

1 t vanilla

1 cup butter flavored oil

1 t vinegar

½ cup regular oil

2 large eggs

3 1 oz bottles of red food coloring

Sift dry ingredients together, then add other ingredients in order and mix well as you add. Bake 350 for 25 minutes.

ICING

2 boxes confection sugar or 1 bag

3 blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese

2 sticks of butter

2 cups of pecan pieces

1 t vanilla

I don't know if it matters if you add them in order or not. That's just what the recipe says! Does anyone know if it matters? I don't know why it would... icon_confused.gif This recipe has been in our family for AGES. I don't know where my aunt originally got it from. But it's GOOD! icon_smile.gif Really moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%